Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Chair David Agnew

David Agnew

Little Fish in a Big Lake

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFelt good being a part of a large well run organization. Excellent pay and benefits. Ongoing training available. Depending on the unit (or supervisor), the ability to switch shifts therefore less sick calls.

ConsMicromanagement by inept supervisors. Higher management should investigate supervisors with a history of loosing good workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to front line workers. We know what we're talking about.

this is a great place

Housekeeper (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

Prosgreat company feeling, they care about employee health and well being. A very caring and nurturing environment for all employees to work at

Constoo many employees, with less you can do more. It is a controlled environment so not necessarily needing too many bodies- help out budget

Advice to Senior Managementgive a little

Co-op Student

ProsThe team is very nice, the work is high impact, the pace is moderate. The environment is nice, and the work is interesting. Some of the nicest and most talented people I have met work at Sunnybrook.

ConsSometimes the project quality varies and the communication channels can be improved. Not much room for personal growth at times but opportunities do exist

Advice to Senior ManagementValidate the technical skills of your employees, make sure management has a good sense of the technical challenges that are being addressed and the associated shortcomings.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place!!

Dietary Aide (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe people that I work with are very personable. There are free courses that Sunnybrook offers to encourage leadership building. There is a perk site that employees can use to purchase tickets for different events, like musicals, cineplex movie tickets, dave and busters etc. There is a free gym and shuttles that can be used by employees.

ConsSome challenges of working here are some of the people that you work with. However, wherever you go there will always be challenges with working with certain people. Also, it is difficult to achieve a higher position due to the minimal openings of larger positions. Although, this may be true everywhere else as well.

On a more serious note, there are times when the management isn't completely fair to all people and take the sides of favorable people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would upgrade the gym to encourage healthy living amongst employees. Have employee discounts when purchasing food at the hospital.

Most importantly, ensure that the values of the company are met in all departments (though it is difficult to implement) through an online annual feedback taken by all employees.

They value their employees

Research Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe hospital values its employees, providing wellness seminars, supplementary medical coverage, and hosting annual employee appreciation bbqs, etc. You are in an environment where you can interact with patients, their families, nurses that care for the former, and young and elderly volunteers. It is a humbling experience (if you keep your eyes and heart open).

ConsTransportation to Sunnybrook is an ongoing problem. As an employee, either you drive in (after waiting months for a parking spot) and pay a lot of money for parking, or you take the TTC bus (no direct subway access). Also, I wish Sunnybrook did not slam patients' families with massive parking fees.

Food availability is also a challenge. I wish they had the old-style canteen. Now their fast-food-style cafeterias are high priced, hitting both employees and visitors where it hurts.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the sake of the patients and their families, please stop rationalizing high visitor costs for budget considerations. Operations of the hospital are otherwise managed well.

Do your research first

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsPlace is full of great people to work with and theres always opportunity to personally develop if your motivated

ConsSome departments are highly disorganized and can hurt your career development

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency would be nice

Great, comfortable and rewarding culture

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFriendly Environment, very flexible schedule to meet the demands of my project progression

Conslimited aspects on my position. I wanted to expand more career opportunities with my background

Many overworked employees who have given up hope

Secretary to Medical Staff (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsPlenty of full-time job opportunities with benefits. Friendly staff members and an overall good community of coworkers.

ConsArchaic filing systems with a number of understaffed units. This could be said for most jobs but depending on whom your supervisor is, it will greatly effect your working conditions and whether or not you will have a happy work life. There seems to be a huge gap in communication between upper management and staff members. Each level seems to advocate for their own agenda, leaving lower level employees at a loss. This in turn causes a high level of turnovers in positions where they are understaffed and overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore tests brought online with the ability for electronic signatures and more communication between team members of upper and lower levels.

Great learning experience.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsVery supportive staff and a very positive learning experience as a new nursing graduate.

ConsThe work environment is a very fast-paced and high stress environment but the staff and managers are very supportive.

Sunnybrook Review

ProsFun place to work, get employee discounts to Ontario Science Centre, cell phone providers and pension. Some tuition re-imbursement which is about max $1000 or they pay you 100% of your course if course cost is inexpensive. There's also constantly workshops available.

ConsI went to three interviews for three different positions until I finally got my foot inside. I have been here for about 3 years. The con is the way they hire people. At my previous department almost everyone knows someone inside the department. There's not much in terms of career growth. Most internal jobs are temp. If internal jobs are permanent you are competing also for external position unless those positions are porters, cleaners type of position. Even for Practical Nurse if you upgraded your education to be a registered nurse, there is a rule where they prefer new graduate nurse over existing PN who become a RN. Basically once you get an education upgrade you have to move to a new company. The Research side is different from the healthcare side. So when I moved to a new position from the research side to the healthcare side, I have to start all over again as a new employee. They pay me 1 month worth of vacation which I had from my bank when I switched to the new position and get a new id number.

Worked for Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre? Contribute to the Community!