Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

3.8

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Chair David Agnew
David Agnew

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to feel wanted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexable work hours and shifts

Cons

Getting to know all the great people

Make sure the right person for the job is the one that is hired

Minimal opportunities

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent starting salary, good benefits and vacation, lots of courses offered internally to take online or through in-class instructor led courses.

Cons

The work life balance is OK, not many opportunities to grow and take on other responsibilities as you develop new skills.

Little Fish in a Big Lake

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Felt good being a part of a large well run organization. Excellent pay and benefits. Ongoing training available. Depending on the unit (or supervisor), the ability to switch shifts therefore less sick calls.

Cons

Micromanagement by inept supervisors. Higher management should investigate supervisors with a history of loosing good workers.

Listen to front line workers. We know what we're talking about.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place!!

Current Employee - Dietary Aide  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people that I work with are very personable. There are free courses that Sunnybrook offers to encourage leadership building. There is a perk site that employees can use to purchase tickets for different events, like musicals, cineplex movie tickets, dave and busters etc. There is a free gym and shuttles that can be used by employees.

Cons

Some challenges of working here are some of the people that you work with. However, wherever you go there will always be challenges with working with certain people. Also, it is difficult to achieve a higher position due to the minimal openings of larger positions. Although, this may be true everywhere else as well.

On a more serious note, there are times when the management isn't completely fair to all people and take the sides of favorable people.

I would upgrade the gym to encourage healthy living amongst employees. Have employee discounts when purchasing food at the hospital.

Most importantly, ensure that the values of the company are met in all departments (though it is difficult to implement) through an online annual feedback taken by all employees.

Do your research first

I worked at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre full-time for more than a year

Pros

Place is full of great people to work with and theres always opportunity to personally develop if your motivated

Cons

Some departments are highly disorganized and can hurt your career development

Consistency would be nice

They value their employees

Former Employee - Research Engineer  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Research Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The hospital values its employees, providing wellness seminars, supplementary medical coverage, and hosting annual employee appreciation bbqs, etc. You are in an environment where you can interact with patients, their families, nurses that care for the former, and young and elderly volunteers. It is a humbling experience (if you keep your eyes and heart open).

Cons

Transportation to Sunnybrook is an ongoing problem. As an employee, either you drive in (after waiting months for a parking spot) and pay a lot of money for parking, or you take the TTC bus (no direct subway access). Also, I wish Sunnybrook did not slam patients' families with massive parking fees.

Food availability is also a challenge. I wish they had the old-style canteen. Now their fast-food-style cafeterias are high priced, hitting both employees and visitors where it hurts.

For the sake of the patients and their families, please stop rationalizing high visitor costs for budget considerations. Operations of the hospital are otherwise managed well.

Great, comfortable and rewarding culture

I worked at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Friendly Environment, very flexible schedule to meet the demands of my project progression

Cons

limited aspects on my position. I wanted to expand more career opportunities with my background

Many overworked employees who have given up hope

Current Employee - Secretary to Medical Staff  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Secretary to Medical Staff in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of full-time job opportunities with benefits. Friendly staff members and an overall good community of coworkers.

Cons

Archaic filing systems with a number of understaffed units. This could be said for most jobs but depending on whom your supervisor is, it will greatly effect your working conditions and whether or not you will have a happy work life. There seems to be a huge gap in communication between upper management and staff members. Each level seems to advocate for their own agenda, leaving lower level employees at a loss. This in turn causes a high level of turnovers in positions where they are understaffed and overworked.

More tests brought online with the ability for electronic signatures and more communication between team members of upper and lower levels.

Great learning experience.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre full-time

Pros

Very supportive staff and a very positive learning experience as a new nursing graduate.

Cons

The work environment is a very fast-paced and high stress environment but the staff and managers are very supportive.

Great place to wwork

I worked at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sunnybrook Health Centre is a very good organization. Great people and culture. I enjoyed working there and doing my PhD. It is an ideal place to learn about so many topics and work along many smart people.

Cons

The only issue with Sunnybrook Health Centre is the commute. It isn't located by a subway stop so you have to take a bus to get there and it can be very crowded during rush hour.

Worked for Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre? Contribute to the Community!