Sunoco Logistics

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sunoco Logistics President & CEO Brian P. MacDonald

Brian P. MacDonald

Dynamic, fast-paced work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sunoco Logistics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPositions are more generalists than specialists which affords you broad exposure to many disciplines outside of your own, which makes you very attractive to competitors.

ConsA healthy work/life balance is difficult to achieve for most professional/management positions if you're a conscientious worker.

Good people Bad paid

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sunoco Logistics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFriendly place, small enough to make a good employee to stand up fairly easy.

ConsBase salaries lower than competitors. No training. Education reimbursement a joke, only for cheap community college courses. Middle management does not exist at the Sugar land office, upper management in PA decides every single thing. Office is run by an admon, who makes all the important decisions for the entire place.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Company is doing great, employees can always be replaced.

Mistreating Engineers

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sunoco Logistics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRight size not too big not too small. For engineers, there are chances to work on a multitude of projects and learn a lot.

ConsSalaries are way below the market. Leadership believes that with annual bonuses and unit sharing programs people will be happy, but when everything is added up the totals are still lowerrrrrr than the competitors. Formal training is not an option as well as career growth for engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove profit sharing program and avoid the high turnover rates.

production manager

Production Supervisor (Current Employee)
Pittsburg, CA

I have been working at Sunoco Logistics full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgreat company and staff. people oriented, good listeners

Consi loved working environment . had to leave due to family illness

Advice to Senior Managementstay in tune with the people

Great company with room for growth!

Pipeline Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Sunoco Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsSince it's a smaller company, it serves as a good first job that allows you to wear multiple hats and gain a lot of experience under your belt with good compensation.

ConsSmaller company with some outdated practices

It is a job.

Sinking Spring, PA

I have been working at Sunoco Logistics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSteady work. The place will be open tomorrow.
Good place to start out especially for veterans.

ConsRather sloppy training.
High stress.
Low morale.
Unhealthy work environment - some very attitudes among co-workers.
Sale to ETP has reduced benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore planning needed with some day-to-day operations. Sloppy planning more often than not.

Solid growth dedicated company with lean operations

Associate Senior Pipeline Engineer (Former Employee)
Honey Brook, PA

I worked at Sunoco Logistics full-time

ProsSXL was a growth company, so you were always active and busy with new projects. They manage well and have a good structure. Good dedication to integrity and incident free operation. Continues to produce results and make money.

ConsLean operations often puts a lot of stress on employees. Much of the field staff is over worked and under supported. Long hours often go unrewarded, especially for salaried staff.
Limited locations.

Non-progressive subsidiary with religious overtones from ETP

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Sunoco Logistics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company continues to grow and have achieved or surpassed their financial targets. High performers have the opportunity to receive stock plans.

Cons- bought out by Energy Transfer Partners and the company has gone through job eliminations especially on the support roles (finance, HR, etc)
- due to the buyout, Sunoco Logistics eliminated some of their modern benefits such as recognizing domestic/same-sex partners as part of the employees eligibility.
- again, due to the buyout, ETP has had a lot of influence on how things are run and how things are communicated. With ETP being a public company, I was shocked to see a holiday email from the ETP CEO to all employees including SXL where the CEO explicitly referenced the holiday as "CHRISTmas" several times in that exact format with a high level of religious tones throughout.
- a lot of political red tape. People are more concerned about ones job title rather than their actual names. A lot of the more tenured employees there are almost mind-warped to where they are told what to do, and they do it without questioning.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess about religion and more about equality. This also includes same sex benefits. If you plan on staying relevant in 2013 and beyond, your policies, management style and overall branding of your company towards your current employees and potential candidates need to reflect that of today and not move backwards. The culture and values of SXL prior to being acquired by ETP was not that strong to begin and now with ETP in the picture, SXL's culture and values have more or less vaporized. Use the leverage SXL and take more control.

Run away from this Company

Terminals (Former Employee)

I worked at Sunoco Logistics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking in the petroleum industry.

ConsBureaucracy is staggering and it's a miracle anything gets done. A toxic work environment with everyone stabbing each other in the back.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnergy Transfer should be more hands on and eliminate the existing corporate culture.

Starting off as an entry level was OKAY, but not willing to stay here in the long run.

Procurement (Current Employee)
Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Sunoco Logistics as a contractor for less than a year

ProsBig company with a lot of growth; Sugar Land headquarters is in a good location

ConsThere doesn't seem to be room for career growth; I feel like the company culture is lacking; Maybe group dynamics are lacking also

Worked for Sunoco Logistics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sunoco Logistics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sunoco Logistics CEO Brian P. MacDonald. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Sunoco Logistics employees.