Sunquest Information Systems

Updated January 1, 2015
2.6

Sunquest Information Systems President Matthew Hawkins
Matthew Hawkins

Pros
  • Nice learning opportunity,nice environment to work (in 7 reviews)

• Benefits are great compared to my last job, supervisor doesn't micro-manage and can actually be funny i (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay once you get any experience and raises are capped at below inflation (that's if you are an overachiever and work 50hrs (in 9 reviews)

• The work-life balance varies WIDELY based on your role (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great Team - Growth Industry - Stable Owners - Culture Trending VERY Positively

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Opportunities for career growth abound.
     - Fanatic, well-renowned, global client base
     - Talented co-workers
     - Values are becoming a part of the culture, not just platitudes
     - Unique market position and market drivers allowing for dynamic possible growth and impact to healthcare
     - Publicly Traded Ownership (Roper Industries) allows autonomy
     - Positive changes recently make for VERY positive trend in culture

Cons

- Some gossip.
     - Lots of urgency and work to do. If you don't like a challenge, this probably isn't the spot for you.

Continue on the current path. Change is hard but the goal is worth it. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate

Dec 23, 2014VP People Operations

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to share these thoughts. We agree that the culture is trending positively and love to hear your feedback.

Please provide both positive and constructive

Varied

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee appreciation, ease of movement between positions, good environment, opportunities for growth

Cons

your experience depends very much what department you are in. there is little cohesive oversight of the company or common experience. vps have full authority and each department is run separately and differently.

Pay is low for the industry.

Dec 30, 2014VP People Operations

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We truly appreciate your efforts and hope that you will continue to provide feedback, both positive and constructive.

Your thoughts about
    ... More

Nice place to work, but senior management doesn't listen.

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems

Pros

People are awesome, pay is decent.

Cons

4DX is a massive waste of the ENTIRE company's time.

Dec 21, 2014VP People Operations

Thank you for the feedback. We also feel that Sunquest is a nice place to work and that the people are awesome as well!

To your point about 4DX, Senior Management has listened and sunset 4dx as

Poor Compensation and benefits

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

start up environment, good learning experience

Cons

Benefits, compensation, work environment, no work life balance

Dec 21, 2014VP People Operations

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts. We wish you well on your new endeavors.

Our environment certainly fosters learning and allows the opportunity to have a voice and make

Nothing but the numbers

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems

Pros

Many of the folks in the trenches do care, they're just overworked and unsupported.

Cons

Being owned by a VC company, they don't care about anything except the NUMBERS. You're a number. And you generate numbers. And that's the extent that you matter. Management talks all kinds of "management speak" that makes them sound like the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons.

Why give advice? You make all kinds of speeches as if you care, but then you never listen and never change.

Dec 21, 2014VP People Operations

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

You mention "being owned by a VC company" that all we care about are numbers. I'd just like to clarify: Sunquest is owned by a

Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Manager, Product Development
    Former Employee - Manager, Product Development

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Most mid level management and non management employees are fantastic, with a true dedication to healthcare and clients
    -Decent benefits and facility
    -Plenty of opportunity and room for advancement

Cons

-Terrible turnover below exec level; people are constantly burning out or quiting once they realize the company is headed downward. Terminations and layoffs can be random and without warning or explanation.
    -Many in key positions are always chasing the latest shiny thing with no idea if it will help
    -Most execs and some upper / middle management are in positions WAY out of proportion to their skill and abilities leading to terrible or no strategic direction
    -Quickly deteriorating market share and profits. Most major competitors are far past Sunquest in terms of technology and resources. Clients are only staying at this point because the hassle of changing is too high (and that is getting lower every day as competitors develop better systems)
    -Many positions require long hours (some departments 14 hour days are common) and depending on the manager may not offer a good work-life balance.
    -Major lack of resources. Most departments are so understaffed that people have to do 2-3 jobs worth of work and so quality suffers
    -Terrible communication - the rumor mill is the only way to find out what is going on most of the time.

If you have no idea any of this is going on, think very carefully about who you are trusting to give you honest feedback and information....

Sunquest right now is a sinking ship, and most people there know it. Start plugging some holes and making some major course corrections.

Dec 21, 2014VP People Operations

Thank you for taking the time to give Sunquest such candid and thorough feedback. I"m sorry your experience was so poor, however we wish you all the best.

There is no doubt that Sunquest was not

Great place to work

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time

Pros

Friendly environment, helping people, great leadership

Cons

Shared building, job postings aren't always fair

Be more transparent

Dec 21, 2014VP People Operations

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We love to help people at Sunquest whether that be the patients served by our clients or our fantastic employees around the world such as yourself.

Please stop

Good interview, low salary

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great for entry level and resume building

Cons

Salary is low compared to Public and private sector

n/a

Poor strategic vision

Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Most of the employees are decent enough people.

Cons

The level of attrition in the support organization has severely diminished this company's ability to deliver on the promise of best-in-class client support. There are products that we sell, that no one knows how to support. With senior analysts spread thin putting out fires at client sites, there are insufficient training and mentorship resources.

As such, this is likely to be a dead end job.

Furthermore, it is so specialized that your experience will count for little should you decide to move on -- unless you elect to work for a client directly, which thanks to Sunquest's unwillingness to pay their analysts market value is extremely common. We are hemorrhaging top level talent faster than we can train people up.

The flagship product is circling the drain, the unchecked attrition of senior analysts is only hastening the process as we find ourselves less and less able to provide the clients with timely resolutions.

The vast majority of your revenue comes from support maintenance contracts. Preventing client attrition requires action to prevent agent attrition - You need your top talent to stay in support, and you need new agents to stay with the company long enough to become top agents -- a process which will take years.

It's not about ice cream, or trophies, or focused recognitions or Casual Fridays. It's about cash in the bank. And as long as client sites are offering double what you are offering, you will continue to bleed talent until there is nothing left.

Fair pay/benefits, poor training and working conditions.

Former Employee - Associate Professional Services Consultant in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate Professional Services Consultant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good entry level job, decent pay, great benefits

Cons

terrible training, "crack the whip" leadership, more concerned with billable hours than giving clients good service.

Manage your team like people, not assets. Newly hired managers don't know the business, so they take on a role as task-master and not of manager. If my performance is based solely upon numbers in a spreadsheet, please make sure those numbers are even somewhat accurate; not once was a weekly report accurate. SHOW UP for 1:1 meetings. Understand that you have to give non-lab new-hires more of a background of lab if you expect them to succeed. Update your training material regularly, exclude outdated information/processes. Directors should have 1:1's with the team members to check if their manager is supporting their career growth.

Sunquest Information Systems Photos