Sunquest Information Systems

Updated August 27, 2014

2.3

Sunquest Information Systems President and CEO Richard Atkin
Richard Atkin

Pros
  • Nice learning opportunity,nice environment to work (in 7 reviews)

• Mainly good co-workers, though many leaving (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay once you get any experience and raises are capped at below inflation (that's if you are an overachiever and work 50hrs (in 9 reviews)

• The executive team lacks vision and has no idea how to execute (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to start.

Current Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tasks are great to learn.

Cons

People does not always talk good about coworkers.

Fair pay/benefits, poor training and working conditions.

Former Employee - Associate Professional Services Consultant  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate Professional Services Consultant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good entry level job, decent pay, great benefits

Cons

terrible training, "crack the whip" leadership, more concerned with billable hours than giving clients good service.

Manage your team like people, not assets. Newly hired managers don't know the business, so they take on a role as task-master and not of manager. If my performance is based solely upon numbers in a spreadsheet, please make sure those numbers are even somewhat accurate; not once was a weekly report accurate. SHOW UP for 1:1 meetings. Understand that you have to give non-lab new-hires more of a background of lab if you expect them to succeed. Update your training material regularly, exclude outdated information/processes. Directors should have 1:1's with the team members to check if their manager is supporting their career growth.

If you are desperate, build your resume and get out.

Former Employee - Technical Trainer  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many of the folks on the front lines are fantastic and really know their stuff.
    This is a place to get your start in this field or any corporate field.
    Recently ditched an incompetent president (though the new one doesn't seem much better).

Cons

Upper management expects miracles without proper staff levels or time.
    The pay is way below market norm.
    While some managers are great, others have no place in management.
    Numerous departments are rife with nepotism.
    Staff are often placed in the wrong departments and then chastised for poor performance.

The environment is simply toxic. Do your time and get out!

Listen to the front line, ditch 4dx, clean house on the VPs and directors, and push software to modernity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A place to grow and improve

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salaries aren't the highest, but they aren't the lowest either. I got a 10% raise at my promotion from associate level to standard job description (ie: associate support specialist to support specialist but that's not necessarily what I do). Then when I shifted to another team and our work was reorganized, and I worked hard and demonstrated strong results, I was given first a 4% raise for the new year and about 10 days later was called in and told that I was being given an additional 9% raise. All together I went up by 25% across just less than 2 years. I like the 401K, but must admit that when SQ was purchased by Roper, we lost some of the company contribution. The other perks like the onsite gym, the onsite café, meals and snacks (Fresh Fruit Friday afternoon snack), packing & shipping services at corporate rate (they pack for you for free), and onsite dry cleaning pick up and delivery are nice to have. So far I really like the people I work with; they are smart, helpful and engaged. There is a new President/CEO named Matt Hawkins and he seems to have some great vision for improving and taking us much further in the next 10 years. I'm down for staying through and seeing how it goes.

Cons

Some of the managers are not good at developing their people and are a bit confused. Others are fantastic! The work-life balance varies WIDELY based on your role. Some people work their basic day and head home without any pressure for extended hours except in specific circumstances like trying to finish up a product for going to General Availability. Others, especially those in the implementation teams, have some pretty long hours including weekends in order to get clients to be able to go live with their new systems. I don't know for sure, but I believe those positions do have some pretty solid salaries.

Live the corporate values, seek feedback and use it! Have enough members on the teams to allow for plenty of back up in case of illness or attrition. Some managers and directors are very good at recognizing good work, but some hardly ever do any recognition. Focus more on quality than revenue generation for 4DX. High quality products produce the returning, loyal customers.

Good resume builder

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Pros

The people you work with make a great team. The benefits are great.

Cons

The cultural is changing and i wonder if it is for the better.

Listen to your people on the front line.

The promise is there, but the lack of execution is crippling.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Pros

For the most part, SQ IS is a decently mediocre place to work. The perks that they offer (e.g., on-site gym, free meals on occasion, number of holidays, PTO, etc.) are nice; they pay slightly more than the majority of employers in the area; they are fairly understanding and accommodative when it comes to employees needing time off.

Cons

During Orient Express (orientation), they constantly brag about their "Culture of Accountability". They preach on about going above and beyond your role to help fellow employees and customers. They gloat over their training opportunities and mentorship programs.

Sadly, once you get out of Orient Express, you realize that those things don't exist, at least not to the extent that they promised. While there are absolutely some solid people who work at SQ who will bend over backwards to help you and the customers, those folks are very few and very far between.

The mass majority of employees are only looking out for themselves. The jury is still out though with regard to what the true cause of that is. While I'm sure a handful of those folks are just naturally like that, I believe that one of the primary root causes is management and the 4DX program.

Management places a ridiculously high amount of faith in 4DX, so much so that employees get shamed if they are unable to follow through with their commits or if they have to move their commits forward to the following week (I have personally witnessed this during 4DX meetings).

Also, the actual training is a bit of a farce. Getting any kind of information from most of your fellow employees is like pulling teeth. My entire training consisted of me constantly asking questions, receiving partial bits and pieces of answers, and then trying to string it all together in order to figure out what I needed to do with any given project.

1. Kill and bury 4DX immediately. Let your employees actually do their jobs without being required to play that game every week and having to worry about possibly being shamed if they don't "move the scoreboard" for their team.

2. Develop solid, legitimate training programs that focus on an employee's role within their department and the company overall (cross-training). We understand that learning about corporate / company policies are vital, but if we are not trained how to do our jobs properly, then you're kind of missing the point.

You stay poor, while the execs get richer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

You work with good people who, for the most part, want to make a difference.

Cons

You are constantly asked to do more, to make the company more money. They set a goal every year of x amount of millions of dollars in revenue. They then ask you to commit every week as to how you are going to help make that money happen. Yet year after year, they never try to reinvest in their people who try to make them that money. They will not meet competitive wages and will not try to keep an employee who is offered a better salary else where.

Make the salaries public knowledge. Stop hiding everything (meetings, wages) and be open with your employees.

Take up an offer here only if you are extremely needy

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Marketing in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Teaches you dirty office politics
    - Some really good and knowledgeable 'old' colleagues (who exist there as they are basically waiting it out till they retire)
    - Corporate & global company culture feel
    - Travel benefits (if you're on that side of the company)

Cons

- Horrible senior management with many inexperienced, untalented, big talkers making really bad decisions
    - HR makes employment decisions and not the hiring managers. Don't know who gives HR these ideas, but mid-level managers are always fighting because of HR decisions
    - Some people still exist and have job security because of their 'race' (Yes, you read it right !)
    - You need to be the CEO's 'Yes Man', else you will be shown the door. Up-management is the key to success. You will get awards, rewards, power, preference and praises if you're up-managing your bosses well. Let your team suffer and struggle
    - One-third of the employees leave the company every year. Reasons are almost the same: management decisions, some really bad office politics and always a fight for power
    - Extremely bad pay!

- You're losing more intellect than you are gaining
    - You get what you pay for
    - Get a Reality Check! Yes men will not help the company survive. They will be the first to run away.
    - Value your employees. They are not your slaves
    - You survived the last 6 years because of the slacking economy and mainly because of the parent company's financial backing (Vista). With the economy getting steady, expect all good employees to leave as they WILL get better opportunities elsewhere

Horrible culture, horrible experience- an insult to your education level

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sunquest Information Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well, it's a paycheck and you might get some professional experience

Cons

Prey on top talent and pay bottom of the barrel
    Non-existent training
    Less than competitive salaries and max 5% annual bonus (if you're so lucky to get a performance review)
    No regular cadence for performance reviews
    Lack of senior-level accountability
    Non-existent family/work life balance

Take better care of your employees. This means more than free breakfast once a month.

I do not get how this company is still in business

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sunquest Information Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

On site gym and covered parking

Cons

4dx is such a joke. Shuffling around executives all the time.

Trust your emloyees

Worked for Sunquest Information Systems? Contribute to the Community!