Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Penny McIntyre

Penny McIntyre

Pros:
  • "I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Working with seniors can be fulfilling"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

volunteer/intern

Activity and Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee)
Chandler, AZ

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living as an intern for less than a year

Prosit is a happy place, employees genuinely care about their clients. Activity Director worked hard to have lots of actitivities for the people who live there.

Consnot enough volunteers or help for doing the various activities that could/should be there for the people to participate in.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a Volunteer Coordinator even half time to help the activity director

Not bad not great

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI've met a lot of good people here. People passionate about what they do and improving the quality of life for seniors.

ConsCommunication is an issue. I thought it was just specific to the building I'm in but the whole company seems to be like that. Anything can change at the blink of eye and I've seen good people get screwed over because of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to have some more backbone in the decisions you make. When you just change things so quickly realize people have to catch up to get on board. It seems like you always are fighting to stay afloat.

I have had a wonderful tenure with Sunrise Senior Living!

Regional Employment Specialist (Current Employee)
McLean, VA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

ProsI have been treated as a valued team member and enjoyed a family focused environment. My manager is inspiring and motivating. And, Sunrise fosters a team environment. From the day that I joined the team, I have experienced professionalism and a first class commitment to our communities and residents. Sunrise Senior Living is a premier organization!

ConsI have not witnessed any downsides of working at Sunrise Senior Living.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the Good Work!

This is the most rewarding yet exhausting position I have ever had..Sunrise is a wonderful company to work !

Executive Director (Current Employee)
McLean, VA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorking with families to assist them in making the decision to place their loved one at our communities is very satisfying when you see how the quality of life for both the senior and family improve.

ConsWork Life Balance can be challenging when you are in a management position as you are on call 24/7

Executive Director

Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLoved the residents and families

ConsExpect to work 10 to 13 hour days, 6 days a week

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no Management

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

ProsMost of the nursing staff are hard workers and willing to help out

ConsGoing to work knowing that your license is on the line due to the overload of work, no help from management, focus on minor issues instead of dealing with bigger more liability issues. Management lets major things get slide under the rug and doesn't resolve problems just avoids them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to clean house and get rid of employees who are negligent, quit letting nurses leave work for the next shift to deal with, get more help on the floor, try helping your nursing staff out instead of sneaking out the door and leaving.

Back Stab

Care Giver (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with the seniors and bringing some joy to their lives. Meeting the families of the residents and understanding their cares, frustrations, and anxieties. The personal satisfaction of receiving some level of trust from the resident(s) -- especially those with severe dementia or alzheimer's disease.

ConsMany employees are back-stabbers and will do anything to make your life miserable. Beware you are being watched intently and inaccurate accusations may result.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany employees have left or were let go for arcane reasons. Perhaps an overhaul or tweaking of HR protocol would be in order.

Good entry level position for a STNA in training.

Caremanager (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsCore values and mission statement. Training with Sunrise University.

ConsLow pay. Pay is too low for the amount of work you have to do to serve residents. High turnover.3rd shift understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have dedicated caremanagers. Pay them much better to prevent high turnover.

Accounts Payable Clerk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time

ProsGood company to work for when I was there. Friendly atmosphere.

ConsThe company downsized which is why I am not with them now. I'm not sure about the company anymore.

Great philosophies, principles, and values towards residents and their families .

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

ProsThe residents at Sunrise are like family. I consider it a privilege that I am able to provide a service to them. Their happiness and satisfaction is of upmost importance!

ConsA huge downfall that I have encountered is having fellow team members not sharing the same passion I do when it comes to caring for the residents needs and desires.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you take care of your team members first, customer satisfaction will immediately follow.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Sunrise Senior Living Videos

Sunrise Senior Living – Why Work for Us?

Since 1981, Sunrise Senior Living has been the employer of choice for warm-hearted people searching for meaningful work in a nurturing, ethical and active environment. We offer a uniquely sensitive approach and personal… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sunrise Senior Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sunrise Senior Living CEO Penny McIntyre. All 212 reviews posted anonymously by Sunrise Senior Living employees.