Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Penny McIntyre

Penny McIntyre

Pros:
  • "I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Working with seniors can be fulfilling"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great place for your family members!

Care Manager (Former Employee)
Troy, MI

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice company to work for, holiday bonuses, good staff, great program for the elderly. Enjoyed my time there greatly.

ConsHas its downsides like any other job, with some employees that don't give as much to the residents as others which made me sad.

Overworked and lack of support

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time

Prosresidents are great to get to know

Consoverworked, stressful and lack of support

I had one position with the responsibilities of three full-time positions.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsServing the residents and the hourly staff.

ConsHaving to report to the executive director, regional department heads (there are several) and to some in the corporate office as well as complete my deadline laden assignments. Also there were too many special projects to be done - on short notice. Plus I was required to give tours or provide marketing information to telephoning inquirers daily. But, what about the billing, what about collections, what about the payroll, what about human resources duties, what about the short timeframe to address accounting reporting requirements? Marketing and other duties cut into my time too often.

Beware, there are the most serious of issues, systemic in this community.

Reminiscence Coordinator (Former Employee)
Wayland, MA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsLovely decorating, beautiful garden, most Care Managers are extraordinary and care.

ConsExtremely weak management with systemic lack of business sense, integrity, minimal understanding of and compassion for dementia behaviors or physical limitations. Sales saying absolutely anything to close the deal then the dramatic shift-a shocking lack of concern for residents on cite. Minimal and poor activities lead by people who do not enjoy or appreciate residents which leads to increased resident depression and intensified memory loss. Alarmingly minimal nursing presence and hours, Care Managers giving medications-training is completely inadequate. Lack of management presence on cite. Assisted living residents eloping not infrequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate some genuine concern for the health and emotional well being of these vulnerable residents into your consciousness, actions and focus. Examine the complete disconnect between saying you care care about the residents to their families to make the sale or keep them happy, and showing Any level of genuine concern for their physical and emotional well being once they move in and are dependent on you. The Sales person Must Learn to be honest and not say absolutely anything to 'make the sale, leading to understandably irate families. The minimal nursing presence is shocking and dangerous. There are times when the nurse is on cite from 9-3. Other times, not one nurse steps foot into the building for 4 plus days. The Care Managers do 95% of the work, most are extraordinary and they are deeply unappreciated and treated badly. Give the Medication managers adequate training as 3 shadowing shifts is not remotely enough to train for this complex and critical job. Most of all, have a sliver of integrity and take CARE of these helpless residents. When you are aware a significant health issue has been missed by the nurse, you are strongly encouraged to shove it under the rug. If you have the audacity to bring the situation to the ED or Sales person, the one and only response is 'can we be sued". There are significant pluses such as: the physical building is lovely, most of the Care Managers are exceptional human beings, the garden is wonderful. The reality is the front line Care Manager are paid 12.00 and for their brutally hard work, their integrity, character, love and kindness which is unacceptable. There is no public transportation to this location, they are not even paid for lunch breaks and do not receive one Cent bonus ANYTIME during the year, not Even at the holidays. The families who donate money to the holiday fund should know that NONE of that money given to the business office reaches the Care Managers. In fact, one family gave $1,000. to the Care Managers in 2012, never mind the rest of the donations from 85 families and the Care Managers did not receive ONE CENT. The company brings in millions per year and the front line Care Managers do it all. Yet they are blamed for most everything, and frequently screamed at on a whim by management. Understand the Care Managers totally run the place and are, the one gift to the residents that bring value, they know the residents well and care. The activities are pathetic, most new residents become deeply depressed and their confusion skyrockets b/c they have NOTHING to do ALL day long. Many of the few already dull activities listed do not even take place b/c the activities people are burnt out and not into their jobs and do not enjoy most of the residents, they complain about them quite a lot. Management makes fun of residents with disabilities and the family members in their meetings, caring far more about their lunches which are purchased with money from the employee appreciation fund. It is a tragic situation, there is a systemic lack of even basic decency in an industry where that element must be at the Top of priority. As a top level manager, I was told to put a new resident on a higher level of care than warranted more than once, in no uncertain terms b/c the family could afford the far greater fee, even though the resident did NOT need that level of care. I refused b/c it involved my lying on his health report and was screamed at and berated by the sales person and head of the business office when the resident does NOT need that level of care. As I was raised, this is no different than stealing. I resigned and deeply miss the residents, many family members and am in close touch with many of the Care Managers, receptionists and other fine employees. I loved my job but, my values did not reflect the companies on any level. And I learned the sad truth, I would not send my worst enemy to live at Sunrise, under any circumstances b/c management is completely self serving. Most of this is due to a complete lack of intelligent leader ship, integrity and direction from the top. I resigned and am working in the same magnificent industry at a company who values the residents well being, has 4 x the nursing presence on cite, the nurses give medications, their are far far more activities, the ED knows what she is doing and leads and teaches well.

I loved it

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

ProsBetter pay and flexible hours. You can always pick up extra days if you need them.

ConsSometimes co workers can be a hand full but hey every job comes with that

Not for everyone

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking with seniors can be fulfilling

ConsLimited Staffing, shady regional management, low pay,

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest.

Eye opening

Reminiscence Care Manager (Current Employee)
Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

ProsGot to meet great co-workers, and work with seniors which is my first love

ConsManagement seem to have closed ears. Lower level staff (the backbone of the company) is treated with disregard; with my way or the highway attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways bear in mind that without lower level workers, there cannot be a Sunrise; respect and regard is important to all workers at all levels. Pay attention to who you put to lead your communities.

Good to work for, not so good after you don't work there anymore.

Certified Care Manager (Former Employee)
Greensboro, NC

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's nice working as a CNA, can be fulfilling work, pretty good work environment

ConsYou don't wear scrubs, you wear khaki's and polos. I can understand wanting the environment to be more home-like, but being able to wear scrubs would make the job easier.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should sign the documentation to renew CNA certification, even if you don't work there anymore. Brighton Gardens was the only place I worked as a CNA and they told me they would only sign the renewal form if I currently worked there. It wasn't fair to me because I completed every requirement to renew my CNA, but because they wouldn't sign the form, my license had to expire. There was nothing the state could do and they told me it was up to my employer as to whether or not to sign the form.

no so great

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

ProsNice staff, resident and families

ConsNot a professional work environment. not clean, caregivers should be CNA's. Too much turn over.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better managers. Better communication. Dont have outside managers fill open slots. Tighten up companies policies and proceedures. Staff should be trained in Virginia. Directors should be RN's. Socialworkers are needed as well. Have more consistancy with policies and proceedures. Dont hire people just to fill slots. Have marketing staff more out in the community where facility is than just giving tours. There should be a corparate office in each state that does, HR Payroll and administration.

Inmates run the Asylum

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsRelaxed atmosphere. Can be fun at times.

ConsCorporate culture. Let low level employees hold a lot of power and control. Little chance to improve "bad apples". Allow dysfunction to perpetuate for fear of unionization and lawsuits.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Sunrise Senior Living Videos

Sunrise Senior Living – Why Work for Us?

Since 1981, Sunrise Senior Living has been the employer of choice for warm-hearted people searching for meaningful work in a nurturing, ethical and active environment. We offer a uniquely sensitive approach and personal… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sunrise Senior Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sunrise Senior Living CEO Penny McIntyre. All 212 reviews posted anonymously by Sunrise Senior Living employees.