Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Penny McIntyre

Penny McIntyre

Pros:
  • "I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Working with seniors can be fulfilling"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Severe Micro Managing With New Regional Team

Department Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRoom for advancement (past)
Competitive salary

ConsPromotions continuously go to NON Sunrise Team Members
Trifecta model believes in micro managing every aspect of your work day
Not the company it use to be...very, very sad!

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP micro managing! If you don't have the right people in place, then find the right ones. You cannot start micro managing the established and successful team members and expect them to be happy and stick around. Everyone is looking to leave at this point! It's a MISERABLE place to work now!

Gave me the chance to meet some awesome people including Residents and their families.

B O C (Former Employee)
Prairie Village, Butler, KS

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe atmosphere is homey and friendly and the Residents are special people.

ConsIs you lose some special loved ones along the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let Corporate come in and do audits and let employees go who for 5 plus years have done an excellent job and all of a sudden they are doing nothing right. You do the math.

Good work atmosphere with residence; poor work atmosphere with management

Care Manager (Current Employee)
Glen Ellyn, IL

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for more than 3 years

ProsRewarding to interact with residents and getting to know them and their life

ConsHard to coordinate with managers and coordinators - very self-interested.

Looks can be deceiving.

Care Manager (Current Employee)
Frisco, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only pro I have is the driving distance.

ConsManagement shows extreme favoritism to certain employees, despite voicing opinions, the employer consistently disregards employees worth, most employees are unhappy with the work environment, resident care is lacking, management hires many that are unqualified and unfit to perform proper work. Unprofessional environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow and recognize your employees worth. Favoritism should not be shown in the work place. Equal opportunity and service should be provided to all.

Feeling the warmth of Sunrise!

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

ProsThere's a new level of energy at Sunrise, now that it's a private company again. I was concerned about the reviews on Glassdoor but decided to join Sunrise several weeks ago because of the opportunities and the people I met during the interview. Now that I'm here, I'm really glad I joined!

Sunrise clearly was impacted by the economic downturn, but it's bounced back and employees (many who are long-term employees and most with impressive backgrounds / credentials) are excited about the future and eager to be a part of what's next.

I signed up because of all the talented people I knew I was going to be working with. However, what was not expected, was being welcomed and valued by so many of the people I work with everyday. Now, I know what it means to really 'feel the warmth of Sunrise'!

ConsIt's not perfect -- there's a lot of change going on and with 30,000 employees, things aren't going to be perfect. If you are the type of person who likes everything to be predicatable, then this company (and industry), isn't for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on quality and investments in your people. You are doing a lot of great things now, so keep at it! It's appreciated!

Love the residents, not the management

CNA (Former Employee)
Omaha, NE

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love the older people that I was working with, they are what makes the place at Sunrise. They do a lot of activities with the residents to keep them busy and overall it's set up really nice.

ConsThey keep employees around that are abusive to residents and just give them a slap on the wrist, but they fired a lady because they said she fell asleep. They have just recently put in pull alarms in the bathrooms for resident safety and camera's in the hallway. It seems like the only reason they have started to improve was because of multiple complaints to the state. Also, employees need to be paid what they deserve, and now I hear they are taking away some of the differential pay for working overnights...not fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to get rid of the people who are a danger to the residents and stop listening only to one shift tattling about another shift. Maybe actually hear both sides before coming down on hard working people and show more appreciation...not just in giving tshirts

Flag Review

Sunrise Senior Living Senior Director Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Dec 12, 2013

We take your comments very seriously as we care deeply about the well-being of our team members and residents. Please contact us at careers@sunriseseniorliving.com with further details.

Money over care

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsYour experience with the company can be great if you have a great director in your community.

ConsThere was lots of turn over within regional management and their first response a lot of times was to fire someone. Upper management seemed to focus on bottom dollar when the state pressure was off, and took away good programs for the residents.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sacrifice quality of care for money resident pay top dollar and should get top care.

A great place to work and they really care about the residents

CNA I (Former Employee)
Cary, NC

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for less than a year

ProsThe employees are great to work with and the facility was clean

ConsFor the amount work, pay was not too appealing.

The residents and care managers are great

Lead Care Manager (Former Employee)
Naperville, IL

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can easily advance in the company

ConsSince early 2013 management didn't want to hear about our problems. Before that the old executive director had an open door policy. You could talk to her about anything

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to listen to your staff!!!!

Great

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

ProsGreat place to work part time

ConsNone
At this time and date

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Sunrise Senior Living Videos

Sunrise Senior Living – Why Work for Us?

Since 1981, Sunrise Senior Living has been the employer of choice for warm-hearted people searching for meaningful work in a nurturing, ethical and active environment. We offer a uniquely sensitive approach and personal… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sunrise Senior Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sunrise Senior Living CEO Penny McIntyre. All 212 reviews posted anonymously by Sunrise Senior Living employees.