Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle

Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with(in 17 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised(in 9 reviews)

• The only thing upper management cares about is the budget and making money(in 8 reviews)

Would you trust your loved one to someone being paid $9 an hour?

Care Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGetting to work with some amazing people, forming great friendships across generations.

ConsHorrendous compensation. Dissatisfied, undervalued, overworked staff. I was routinely assigned over ten people, expected to change every person's diaper every two hours. Often lacked supplies necessary to do the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your workers at least $12/hr; they're in charge of people's lives and get paid the same as burger-flippers. Keep your incontinence supplies stocked at all costs.

Fair. Management is very one sided and all about taking money from the elderly!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsThe residents! Many fellow co-workers (not management) were great to work with.

ConsZero support from management! Management is more concerned about taking money from the elderly than providing enough staff to take care of the. Same staff that showers and toilets residents, have to serve them their meals. Serving meals takes valuable time away from other paying residents that also need help.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being double standard. Poor management. Listen to your employees. They have great ideas as well! If you are taking very sick people in your facilities, you should require one to be at least CNA. You say that one does not need experience, yet you have them alone with some very sick people.

Good

Memory Care Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLoved all the residents, and care managers

ConsWork never ends, on call 24/7 coordinators never get time with family.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lies... but self rewarding.

Resident Care Coordinator (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsWorking with seniors. Classroom training.

ConsLack of support from all management and regional director. Staff rule the show. Lies about future advancements.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace your Detroit Area regional director.

Dedicated staff, family atmosphere

Care Giver (Current Employee)

ProsVery impressed with quality of staff. Responsible for one particular section so really get to know your residents and their routines, but cross training to other areas happens, too, so you become familiar with all residents. Good team work.

ConsEvening/night shift does not always have access to supplies, such as gloves, Depends, etc. Get in the habit of checking your supplies before the person with a key goes home for the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer differential for 2nd and 3rd shift

Best place I ever worked...

Lead Care Manager (Former Employee) Crystal Lake, IL

ProsWorking at Sunrise Senior Living gave me a foot in the door for the healthcare world. It also gave a real world experience for working Alzheimers disease which is something I want to major in. Once I got through the training it was well worth it. When I decide to go back to work I will definitely go back to Sunrise!

ConsThere were some hoops to jump before I started working. Can be a little confusing at times to work through the training.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssist employees as much as possible to get through training, especially when it comes to moving up within the company.

Staff was really friendly and welcoming.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLoved speaking with the seniors and staff.

ConsSometimes there was a lack of communication from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better communication

volunteer/intern

Activity and Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) Chandler, AZ

Prosit is a happy place, employees genuinely care about their clients. Activity Director worked hard to have lots of actitivities for the people who live there.

Consnot enough volunteers or help for doing the various activities that could/should be there for the people to participate in.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a Volunteer Coordinator even half time to help the activity director

Not bad not great

ProsI've met a lot of good people here. People passionate about what they do and improving the quality of life for seniors.

ConsCommunication is an issue. I thought it was just specific to the building I'm in but the whole company seems to be like that. Anything can change at the blink of eye and I've seen good people get screwed over because of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to have some more backbone in the decisions you make. When you just change things so quickly realize people have to catch up to get on board. It seems like you always are fighting to stay afloat.

I have had a wonderful tenure with Sunrise Senior Living!

Regional Employment Specialist (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsI have been treated as a valued team member and enjoyed a family focused environment. My manager is inspiring and motivating. And, Sunrise fosters a team environment. From the day that I joined the team, I have experienced professionalism and a first class commitment to our communities and residents. Sunrise Senior Living is a premier organization!

ConsI have not witnessed any downsides of working at Sunrise Senior Living.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the Good Work!

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!