Sunrise Senior Living

Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 17 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised (in 9 reviews)

• Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good environment

Former Employee - Care Manager  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for more than a year

Pros

good training and leadership programs,

Cons

not enough time, not enough salary

dont need to hire more, distribute time to employee

The friendly atmosphere, the beautiful landscape & artichecture, the cleanlines

Current Employee - Care Manager
    Current Employee - Care Manager

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, helpful, good managment, very good co-workers

Cons

The scheduling needs better work

Fantastic

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Very well organized, very home like for our seniors, great company culture.

Cons

They need to incorporate more division wide training to help directors understand what it is like being on the front line at a community.

share more personal time with the front line staff

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very fast paced, opportunities to learn, but you are just a number/position to them.

Current Employee - Executive Director  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Phila, PA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is an extremely fast paced company with high expectations. If you are smart and self-motivated, you can be very successful. There are many opportunities to learn. Company is huge therefore if you need to relocate, chances are you could find a job in another Sunrise. They are clustered around most major US metropolitan areas.

Cons

You are only as good as last week's financial results, you constantly have to prove/explain yourself. There is no support for directors. Regional teams are stretched thin and focus on putting out fires. Poor work life balance. Very political. Has changed from public company to private, and has changed owners every few years, which causes frequent reorganization. Regional and corporate jobs are therefore very vulnerable to layoffs.

Aside from the front line team members, your community management teams (coordinators and EDs) are your most important players. There is very high turnover in these positions, mainly Executive Directors, Health Care Coordinators and Directors of Sales due to an immense amount of pressure and lack of support. Many regional team members and Vice Presidents are rude, not responsive and not trustworthy. Training and support for EDs and coordinators is not a priority for the regional teams, they are more worried about that week's financial/sales results These are essential to the success of the communities.

Level of Care Excellent

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff truly care about the residents and aren't just there for a paycheck. The corporation has a good reputation. The benefits are excellent. The atmosphere is homey and the time with residents is fulfilling.

Cons

Bureaucracy can be a pain. Making changes for the good of staff and residents can take forever. The company has been sold to two separate corporations for care and for real estate, and that has resulted in another level of removal of top levels from staff doing the work day to day. Care staff turnover is too high.

Literally, walk a mile in the shoes of every front line staff position. Shadow each of us through a full day at least, for a week at coordinator level. Do not pass down directives from on high without input from the residents and staff. Be more creative about Corporate rewards for excellent work, eg discounts at more places than Verizon, restore cash rewards for years of service (drop new "gift catalog"), say Thanks more, and show respect especially for the Reminiscence Neighborhood. Require directors and coordinators to spend at least 2 days a month on the floor all day with staff and residents.

Love this company

Current Employee - Activities Assistant
    Current Employee - Activities Assistant

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Promote from within, rewards employees for outstanding work, supportive of continuing education, good work ethic and team work

Cons

Hours and budget cut can effect resident servces

remember that the needs of residents do not decrease simply because there may be fewer in the building at any given time-

Fantabulous in the healthcare industry

Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendliness, professionalism, homelike environment. I would have my family live at Sunrise, and only Sunrise

Cons

Polo shirts and khaki pants as the dress code

Great job!

Overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Residents are great, generally a fun, home-like environment that can be very warm and inviting.

Cons

Management is very cliquey. They preach communication, but fall short themselves. Favoritism is apparent.

Praise your good workers instead of just barely punishing the bad ones. People who work really hard rarely get noticed, just taken advantage of, yet the ones who barely try, seem to be praised any time they do a little bit more than their jobs call for. Coordinators get doted on non stop with gifts and bonuses, but the ones doing all the grunt work get nothing. Try to make all your staff, especially the front line, feel valued.

great place to work in my senior years

Current Employee - Wellness Nurse
    Current Employee - Wellness Nurse

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love my residents and families, we get to have fun while working. Ability to transfer to other communities if you need to move and maintain company benefits, which are pretty good.

Cons

management not very interested in our voice on a community level only on company wide level. No consistency in following procedure Although training is ok.all training is on Kiosk, people fall asleep, text and don't pay attention , once training is completed team members are expected to "get with it"

listen to your team, show appreciation on daily basis, be consistent as a management team, don't play favorites, follow the great policy and procedures Sunrise has in place for managing/appreciating your team consistently. Frequently coordinators don't know policy, promoted because they were a good care manger and now are their peers supervisor ,not a great idea.

Care partner assisting the elderly in anything/everything where they are unable to do for themselves.

Current Employee - Care Partner  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Care Partner in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Air conditioned, food given sometimes for job well done, we can conduct activities with residents, we are sitting down/standing up throughout shift, the decor inside is home like and pleasant, always sweet smelling odors in the air, I like working here...

Cons

Having to work with different age groups/personalities in a close home like setting. Co-workers not doing their tasks or young college workers not taking their job seriously. Too many residents to care for at once (13).

Thank you for hiring me. I really enjoy my job because it is rewarding but the pay is low. We either need more staff members on the floor in order to efficiently care for these residents or we should be given more pay. $10/hour is not enough to give complete care for 13 elderly people. I do it because I'm a single parent with children and have no choice.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!