Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

Reset
3.1
Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • People passionate about what they do and improving the quality of life for seniors (in 11 reviews)

• Many employees are great team members (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • I worked really long hours and management still didn't care about us or the hard work we did (in 11 reviews)

• The turnover rate is very high, and we often work short staffed not giving the residents the quality of care they need (in 9 reviews)

1. Sunrise DSC

Former Employee - Dining Services Director in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Dining Services Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Excellent working environment. Supportive management team.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. Great place to work if you're good at what you do

Former Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Good opportunities for growth, support from highest levels (up to CEO) for employee satisfaction

Cons

Company going through financial hardships due to very poor management by prior leadership team. Necessary sacrifices have been made but this is a short-term issue. Once the company is back on its feet it will be wildly successful again. Severely lagging behind in technology. Again, this is a direct result of very poor management by the prior leadership team. Bringing the company back up to speed in all areas will take substantial time and a good amount of money. No one should expect this to happen quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, communicate to all levels of team members.

3. Exciting

Current Employee - Lead Care Manager in San Gabriel, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Care Manager in San Gabriel, CA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

The flexible schedule and it's a fun place to work.

Cons

Sometimes the co-workers make it hard to work together.

Advice to Management

Leadership in everything we do..

5. Overall, I was lucky to have worked here for a first job

Current Employee - Lead Server in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Server in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

-Treated fairly -Workload is fair and realistic -Huge opportunities for advacement/promote from within ( I was promoted twice and given three raises in just 1 year) -Real flexible schedule -Feel part of something bigger -Care about employees, had quarterly employee prize give aways. -Bonus twice a year

Cons

-Logistics -Organization -If an co worker called off then it affect your workload greatly -Underpaid, I was promoted twice and given three raises and it still didn't compared to other companies in the same industry & area, Sunrise paid the lowest. About 50 cents over minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Try to add more employees to the schedule to prepare for call offs or no shows. Overall, keep up the great job, you made everyone feel like part of something bigger, and made work a second home. Not and employee but an individual. Also was kept up to date about the overall status of company. Were very solvent with employees, of companies affairs, which I thought was great.

Sunrise has become the big family I've always wanted!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

The residents are the absolute best thing about Sunrise. They make my day, everyday. HEart-warming moments that I see between my coworkers and residents always make me smile, and sometimes choke me up! I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cons

I always say that the residents here are my family, and like family they can be brutally honest at times. Sometimes hearing the honest truth from people you love can be hard, but ultimately I always value the insight the residents provide.

Sunrise Senior Living exemplifies training and coaching for our team members which creates growth opportunities!

Current Employee - Executive Director in Mount Vernon, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Mount Vernon, NY

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Highest Quality of care for our residents Reputation Team Member retention Making a difference in seniors lives Designated Care Managers! Continuity of Care & Building relationships

Cons

Increased health care costs and out of pocket expense for health insurance

Advice to Management

Keep the regional supports intact. This makes a big difference from a community level.

Growing up with my Sunrise family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MI

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Sunrise care about their employees. I have been with the company for 10+ years and wouldn't be if I didn't believe in the company. What we do for Seniors is amazing. I couldn't love Sunrise more!

Cons

The changes in our insurance was a surprise. I know there have been complaints by the team that they dislike our insurance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. I have felt part of a family committed to strengthening the company mission of championing quality of life for seniors.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Working at the Sunrise Community Support Office provides you with opportunities to work on a variety of interesting projects and initiatives that help you expand your knowledge of (and advance in) your field of expertise. Each team member makes important contributions to his/her team and helps support Sunrise communities and team members. In my experience, other team members are friendly and helpful and make coming to work feel like being part of a family.

Cons

With the ability to work on a wide range of interesting projects comes the understanding that workloads can often be large. However, my experience has shown that managers do their best to support, accommodate or balance any concerns around workload as possible.

Advice to Management

The family feel of working at Sunrise is a strength that should be promoted as much as possible.

10. The best care money can afford in your Golden Years

Current Employee - Community Relations Associate in Worthington, OH
    Current Employee - Community Relations Associate in Worthington, OH

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, great benefits, and meaningful work experience.

Cons

Taking care of seniors is always demanding on your personal life. That is a sacrifice you have to decide to make.

Advice to Management

Keep your employee's lives into consideration when you can. Keep doing a great job.

11. Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Care Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for. Love the residents and the atmosphere. Not a nursing home. This place gives you thr opportunity to build a relationship with your residents. You share great memories with them while making new ones. Love sunrise!!!!

Cons

And not all employees are as compassionate. Some people may have a difficult time understanding that with this age population patience and diligence is the key. Also be prepared to be on your feet and do some lifting. But still overall great community.

Advice to Management

Employee appreciation needs to be something that sunrise recognizes more. Also making sure that there is no short in staff members. Some buildings have a problem with this more then others

RSS Feed </> Embed