Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle

Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with(in 17 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised(in 9 reviews)

• The only thing upper management cares about is the budget and making money(in 8 reviews)

EXECUTIVE LEVEL

ProsIt is all about our seniors.

ConsRegional Support THEY TREAT THEIR TEAM LIKE WORK HORSES!

Advice to Senior ManagementEXPECTATIONS OUT OF LINE WITH EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS.

Sunrise East Cobb

Care Manager (Former Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsThe facility is nice that's all.

ConsWhen I was initially hired it took two months for me to get called in for training. When I finished computer training and started work I found out that it was full of juvenile co workers. It was like being in high school again drama and more drama. I worked in the Reminiscence Department. That department has a high turnover rate. When I was hired Management repeatedly said that The workers were not the best boy was that an understatement. I lasted a month. I was PRN but they had me working full time and because I was PRN I could not get benefits. I was called every day during that month multiple times a day for every shift to come into work less than an hour before each shift. They wanted a full time worker ,but not at the cost of providing me with benefits. Co workers gossiped and were not helpful to new hires. Your own co workers act like there the boss. Also, that facility has a high rate of African immigrant workers that are rude to their American co workers.The residents were a handful and having unhelpful/messy co workers was more than I could bare; especially for the low pay. One busts their behind for low pay,bad management, and ungrateful resident families.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of trying to keep up appearances and constantly changing and adding rules that don't make sense get your head out the clouds and work weeding out bad apples including management.

Bamboozled

Health Care Coordinator (Former Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsMy direct supportive staff, nurses and aides were excellent. Management sucked. They didn't allow me to complete my training, yet they placed demands on me that would have been learned in the training.

ConsUnderstaffed. I was the Director of Nursing and staff nurse.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employee and ask them questions directly. Do not rely on hear say.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My specific community seemed great at first and then reality showed its face.

Lead Care Manager (Former Employee) Shelby Township, MI

ProsThe memory care unit at my community was great. The organization has some great insight and ideas for assisting those with dementia. The residents were great!

ConsMy specific community had a great deal of management inappropriateness. It seemed like a wonderful place to work, until you were there long enough to realize the truth behind the facade. The care managers all worked great together, unit a position for Memory Care Director opened and one of the leads was competing for the position. A lot of ruthlessness, betrayal and inappropriate behavior going on between that lead care manager and a member of upper management. It was unfortunate, because I would have loved to stay and grow with the company long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck into each community for problems with management and actually follow up. You have a great organization that should not be tainted by poor leadership. Give employees an actual safe way of reporting certain behavior. Treat your employees well and they will stick with you. I know care jobs are a dime a dozen, but that shouldn't mean people who are good at their jobs and really care about people should be viewed as replaceable...and therefore mistreated and ignored.

Not good at all.

Wellness Nurse (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsI enjoyed working in our Reminiscence dept. as Wellness Nurse. I miss the Seniors, Lead Cares and Care Managers since I have left.

ConsI had a really bad experience with a Co-ordinator in our dept. I was disbelieved in a very bad situation in which I had been bullied..

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't always take the Co-ordinators word as the truth in a situation.

Care Manager

Care Manager (Former Employee) Valencia, CA

ProsThe residents. You become close to them.

ConsGroups of employees were separated into cliches and made it clear I was not part of it

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow groups of employees to bully new employees, this leads to high turn over rates. It's why I left.

Overworked, unpaid, under appreciated, stressed beyond belief

Activity and Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) Haverford, PA

ProsDecent training in the beginning, principals of service and core values are very good (but seldom practiced), have a tendency to promote from within.

ConsI worked as an Activity & Volunteer Coordinator. My certification as a CTRS was not valued and I was mandated to do things that were outside my fields standards of practice and code of ethics by a corporate "activity consultant" who had zero training or idea what she was talking about. Nowhere near enough staff in the facility -- Sunrise wants 7 day/week programming from 9AM-8PM but only hire one FT AVC. Some are lucky to have a part time person working 16 hours per week. The 56 hours of coverage, when they want 77 hours of programming. With the concept of the universal worker, they set everyone up for failure, as there are not enough qualified staff to take care of residents EVER. The benefits are awful and the pay is equally as bad. As a department head I was living in poverty when I worked there (and I live a modest lifestyle).

Sunrise will do anything to make a sale, a number of times I was forced to cancel an activity that residents were looking forward to, because someone walked in looking for a tour and no one else was around to give it. While the individuals working in the front line and coordinator job care so deeply for the residents, administration and corporate only cares about residents before they move in (they want that $). The poor care managers who work there are supposed to care for like 15 residents, clean their rooms, serve in the dining room and do activities. It's just too much work, and the level of care slips as a result.

Worst two years of my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who are qualified to do these jobs, and hire them in abundance. Stop cheaping out and claiming that the universal worker is a great thing. It's not. It stresses people out and leads to high burnout rate.
    If you hire a consultant such as the consultant for AVCs, make sure that they actually know what they're talking about. I suggest hiring a certified therapeutic recreation specialist, as they are the most highly trained to do this kind of work.

The worst company to work for

Care Manager (Current Employee) North Atlanta, GA

ProsLove the residents you are able to transfer

ConsLow pay ..always short of staff they no upward movement for employees the only reason I am still there because I have not found a other job

Advice to Senior Managementtreat you worker with some dignity

Executive Director

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLoved the residents and families

ConsExpect to work 10 to 13 hour days, 6 days a week

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no Management

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the nursing staff are hard workers and willing to help out

ConsGoing to work knowing that your license is on the line due to the overload of work, no help from management, focus on minor issues instead of dealing with bigger more liability issues. Management lets major things get slide under the rug and doesn't resolve problems just avoids them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to clean house and get rid of employees who are negligent, quit letting nurses leave work for the next shift to deal with, get more help on the floor, try helping your nursing staff out instead of sneaking out the door and leaving.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!