Sunrise Senior Living

Updated September 13, 2014
3.2

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 17 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised (in 9 reviews)

• Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Stressful, our property had a high volume of turnover.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Caring for residents and supporting their loved ones.

Cons

In my opinion, regional and corporate oversight were burdensome, though some benefit was derived by the economies of scale.

Remember the mission and values we were required to embody. And, remember that they needed to be applied by staff in order to maintain the clientele needed to attain/maintain occupancy targets.

Corprate Greed...at it's finest

Current Employee - Transportation  in  Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Transportation in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The residents are awesome, which makes the job itself rewarding. The employees (excluding upper managment) are great to work with, everyone helps eachother and they all care for the residents.

Cons

Poor pay. Heath Insurance is too expensive. Upper Managment & Corprate only care about budget and profit. There is very little communication from Managment and Corprate can not be bothered with pretty much anything of concern.

not a nice company

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Banstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Banstead, England (UK)

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

residents are the only nice thing about sunrise shame really could be such a nice place

Cons

resident treated like crap by staff and management do nothing i reported people nothing got done every thing gets swept under the carpet manager treats staff like crap dare you be off sick or need an operation you get sack or threaten to be theres so much i could say but this company does not care the are so greedy all they care about is money they do not care about residents or staff and never will could not stand it no more and left after 3 years of hell

wish some would give them a wake up call or a good kick up the a

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

EXECUTIVE LEVEL

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is all about our seniors.

Cons

Regional Support THEY TREAT THEIR TEAM LIKE WORK HORSES!

EXPECTATIONS OUT OF LINE WITH EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS.

Sunrise East Cobb

Former Employee - Care Manager  in  Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for less than a year

Pros

The facility is nice that's all.

Cons

When I was initially hired it took two months for me to get called in for training. When I finished computer training and started work I found out that it was full of juvenile co workers. It was like being in high school again drama and more drama. I worked in the Reminiscence Department. That department has a high turnover rate. When I was hired Management repeatedly said that The workers were not the best boy was that an understatement. I lasted a month. I was PRN but they had me working full time and because I was PRN I could not get benefits. I was called every day during that month multiple times a day for every shift to come into work less than an hour before each shift. They wanted a full time worker ,but not at the cost of providing me with benefits. Co workers gossiped and were not helpful to new hires. Your own co workers act like there the boss. Also, that facility has a high rate of African immigrant workers that are rude to their American co workers.The residents were a handful and having unhelpful/messy co workers was more than I could bare; especially for the low pay. One busts their behind for low pay,bad management, and ungrateful resident families.

Instead of trying to keep up appearances and constantly changing and adding rules that don't make sense get your head out the clouds and work weeding out bad apples including management.

Bamboozled

Former Employee - Health Care Coordinator  in  Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Health Care Coordinator in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

My direct supportive staff, nurses and aides were excellent. Management sucked. They didn't allow me to complete my training, yet they placed demands on me that would have been learned in the training.

Cons

Understaffed. I was the Director of Nursing and staff nurse.

Listen to your employee and ask them questions directly. Do not rely on hear say.

My specific community seemed great at first and then reality showed its face.

Former Employee - Lead Care Manager  in  Shelby Township, MI
    Former Employee - Lead Care Manager in Shelby Township, MI

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The memory care unit at my community was great. The organization has some great insight and ideas for assisting those with dementia. The residents were great!

Cons

My specific community had a great deal of management inappropriateness. It seemed like a wonderful place to work, until you were there long enough to realize the truth behind the facade. The care managers all worked great together, unit a position for Memory Care Director opened and one of the leads was competing for the position. A lot of ruthlessness, betrayal and inappropriate behavior going on between that lead care manager and a member of upper management. It was unfortunate, because I would have loved to stay and grow with the company long term.

Check into each community for problems with management and actually follow up. You have a great organization that should not be tainted by poor leadership. Give employees an actual safe way of reporting certain behavior. Treat your employees well and they will stick with you. I know care jobs are a dime a dozen, but that shouldn't mean people who are good at their jobs and really care about people should be viewed as replaceable...and therefore mistreated and ignored.

Not good at all.

Former Employee - Wellness Nurse  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Wellness Nurse in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed working in our Reminiscence dept. as Wellness Nurse. I miss the Seniors, Lead Cares and Care Managers since I have left.

Cons

I had a really bad experience with a Co-ordinator in our dept. I was disbelieved in a very bad situation in which I had been bullied..

Don't always take the Co-ordinators word as the truth in a situation.

Care Manager

Former Employee - Care Manager  in  Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Valencia, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

The residents. You become close to them.

Cons

Groups of employees were separated into cliches and made it clear I was not part of it

Don't allow groups of employees to bully new employees, this leads to high turn over rates. It's why I left.

Overworked, unpaid, under appreciated, stressed beyond belief

Former Employee - Activity and Volunteer Coordinator  in  Haverford, PA
    Former Employee - Activity and Volunteer Coordinator in Haverford, PA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent training in the beginning, principals of service and core values are very good (but seldom practiced), have a tendency to promote from within.

Cons

I worked as an Activity & Volunteer Coordinator. My certification as a CTRS was not valued and I was mandated to do things that were outside my fields standards of practice and code of ethics by a corporate "activity consultant" who had zero training or idea what she was talking about. Nowhere near enough staff in the facility -- Sunrise wants 7 day/week programming from 9AM-8PM but only hire one FT AVC. Some are lucky to have a part time person working 16 hours per week. The 56 hours of coverage, when they want 77 hours of programming. With the concept of the universal worker, they set everyone up for failure, as there are not enough qualified staff to take care of residents EVER. The benefits are awful and the pay is equally as bad. As a department head I was living in poverty when I worked there (and I live a modest lifestyle).

Sunrise will do anything to make a sale, a number of times I was forced to cancel an activity that residents were looking forward to, because someone walked in looking for a tour and no one else was around to give it. While the individuals working in the front line and coordinator job care so deeply for the residents, administration and corporate only cares about residents before they move in (they want that $). The poor care managers who work there are supposed to care for like 15 residents, clean their rooms, serve in the dining room and do activities. It's just too much work, and the level of care slips as a result.

Worst two years of my life.

Hire people who are qualified to do these jobs, and hire them in abundance. Stop cheaping out and claiming that the universal worker is a great thing. It's not. It stresses people out and leads to high burnout rate.
    If you hire a consultant such as the consultant for AVCs, make sure that they actually know what they're talking about. I suggest hiring a certified therapeutic recreation specialist, as they are the most highly trained to do this kind of work.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!