Sunrise Senior Living

Updated October 17, 2014
3.1

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 18 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes there was a lack of communication from management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Really sorry to say that I've found the senior management team cold hearted and no idea about employee engagement and treating people as adults

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Processes, systems and making money. There are some fantastic employees wanting to do a great job, all they need us the permission and environment to do great things for the residents and the business.

Cons

Arrogant, no collaboration and not valuing talent within the company. Shocking conversations being had in private by senior managers who should know better!! Certain senior managers are totally deluded about their impact on others and, in their line of work, they should be role modelling a little empathy at the very least.

Go out and ask people for their ideas and ways of working. Don't think your way is the only way and you know best and don't treat people like idiots by not having open and honest conversations. You might want to review how HR talks to your employees too. Take an interest in your employees, you never know you might just learn something! Set up communities of practice and give your employees a voice, you have some great people working for you.

Very poor workplace, care managers are unhappy and miserable

Current Employee - Care Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Here for the residents only!

Cons

There is no respect for caremanagers! There is no motivation, no leadership, not one thank you! Management is only interested in money and their end of the year bonus, which can be up to 8,000. Caremanagers get an orange coffee cup for their bonus. Our pay is 9.00 per hour, we are always under staff, residents are NOT receiving proper care!!!!! We are under staff!!!!

Apply and Apply... Never even get a call for an interview.
    I'm a gerontology major with nursing background

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Im assuming working with and assisting the elderly live a higher quality of life

Cons

Wish I could actually get a interview... Not just a letter saying, "after speaking with you we have selected another candidate... Best of luck on your venture..

This would be acceptable, except for the fact, not once have I ever spoken to anyone???? I have received 3 letters for different postings, never once talked to anyone

Is anyone even looking at my applications, or resumes'

Management is horrific.

Current Employee - Care Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice residents despite they the fact they should be in a nursing home NOT assisted living!

Cons

management only cares about money, has no respect for workers esp care managers. Constantly short staffed and doesn't care about quality of care for residents. ED is running facility into the ground. Half of the residents should be in nursing homes!

If you want quality care treat workers with respect.

Stressful, our property had a high volume of turnover.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Caring for residents and supporting their loved ones.

Cons

In my opinion, regional and corporate oversight were burdensome, though some benefit was derived by the economies of scale.

Remember the mission and values we were required to embody. And, remember that they needed to be applied by staff in order to maintain the clientele needed to attain/maintain occupancy targets.

Corprate Greed...at it's finest

Current Employee - Transportation in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Transportation in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The residents are awesome, which makes the job itself rewarding. The employees (excluding upper managment) are great to work with, everyone helps eachother and they all care for the residents.

Cons

Poor pay. Heath Insurance is too expensive. Upper Managment & Corprate only care about budget and profit. There is very little communication from Managment and Corprate can not be bothered with pretty much anything of concern.

not a nice company

Former Employee - Team Leader in Banstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Banstead, England (UK)

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

residents are the only nice thing about sunrise shame really could be such a nice place

Cons

resident treated like crap by staff and management do nothing i reported people nothing got done every thing gets swept under the carpet manager treats staff like crap dare you be off sick or need an operation you get sack or threaten to be theres so much i could say but this company does not care the are so greedy all they care about is money they do not care about residents or staff and never will could not stand it no more and left after 3 years of hell

wish some would give them a wake up call or a good kick up the a

EXECUTIVE LEVEL

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is all about our seniors.

Cons

Regional Support THEY TREAT THEIR TEAM LIKE WORK HORSES!

EXPECTATIONS OUT OF LINE WITH EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS.

Sunrise East Cobb

Former Employee - Care Manager in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The facility is nice that's all.

Cons

When I was initially hired it took two months for me to get called in for training. When I finished computer training and started work I found out that it was full of juvenile co workers. It was like being in high school again drama and more drama. I worked in the Reminiscence Department. That department has a high turnover rate. When I was hired Management repeatedly said that The workers were not the best boy was that an understatement. I lasted a month. I was PRN but they had me working full time and because I was PRN I could not get benefits. I was called every day during that month multiple times a day for every shift to come into work less than an hour before each shift. They wanted a full time worker ,but not at the cost of providing me with benefits. Co workers gossiped and were not helpful to new hires. Your own co workers act like there the boss. Also, that facility has a high rate of African immigrant workers that are rude to their American co workers.The residents were a handful and having unhelpful/messy co workers was more than I could bare; especially for the low pay. One busts their behind for low pay,bad management, and ungrateful resident families.

Instead of trying to keep up appearances and constantly changing and adding rules that don't make sense get your head out the clouds and work weeding out bad apples including management.

Bamboozled

Former Employee - Health Care Coordinator in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Health Care Coordinator in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My direct supportive staff, nurses and aides were excellent. Management sucked. They didn't allow me to complete my training, yet they placed demands on me that would have been learned in the training.

Cons

Understaffed. I was the Director of Nursing and staff nurse.

Listen to your employee and ask them questions directly. Do not rely on hear say.

Sunrise Senior Living Photos