Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle

Chris Winkle

Pros:
  • "I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Love the residents you are able to transfer"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sunrise East Cobb

Care Manager (Former Employee)
    Marietta, GA

ProsThe facility is nice that's all.

ConsWhen I was initially hired it took two months for me to get called in for training. When I finished computer training and started work I found out that it was full of juvenile co workers. It was like being in high school again drama and more drama. I worked in the Reminiscence Department. That department has a high turnover rate. When I was hired Management repeatedly said that The workers were not the best boy was that an understatement. I lasted a month. I was PRN but they had me working full time and because I was PRN I could not get benefits. I was called every day during that month multiple times a day for every shift to come into work less than an hour before each shift. They wanted a full time worker ,but not at the cost of providing me with benefits. Co workers gossiped and were not helpful to new hires. Your own co workers act like there the boss. Also, that facility has a high rate of African immigrant workers that are rude to their American co workers.The residents were a handful and having unhelpful/messy co workers was more than I could bare; especially for the low pay. One busts their behind for low pay,bad management, and ungrateful resident families.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of trying to keep up appearances and constantly changing and adding rules that don't make sense get your head out the clouds and work weeding out bad apples including management.

Wellness nurse

RN Wellness Nurse (Current Employee)
    Carmel, IN

ProsLove the residents and staff.

ConsCan be short staffed at times

Sunrise needs to break through the clouds and shine some light.

Concierge (Current Employee)
    Edgewater, NJ

ProsGreat work environment, of course, depending on the team members. The residents are what you really strive for.

ConsThey've always expressed their interest in promoting from within but as of the past couple of years in the Northeastern NJ region, there seems to be little if none of that happening. I've been an employee with Sunrise for 7 years [on and off] and in serveral communities with much experience but after my fourth try at a managerial position, I've yet to get the tools or advice I need to professionally grow in this company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bamboozled

Health Care Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Blue Bell, PA

ProsMy direct supportive staff, nurses and aides were excellent. Management sucked. They didn't allow me to complete my training, yet they placed demands on me that would have been learned in the training.

ConsUnderstaffed. I was the Director of Nursing and staff nurse.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employee and ask them questions directly. Do not rely on hear say.

My experience at Sunrise was positive and life-changing.

Lead Care Manager (Former Employee)
    Gurnee, IL

ProsThe co-workers are amazing, the residents are fun to be around and it's a very personally rewarding job.

ConsIt's tough work and long hours!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for new hires-I had a ton of training and felt like I was a better care manager because of it.

Excellent Staff Care for their Residents

Assisted Living Care Giver/LVN Med Care Manager (Current Employee)
    Yorba Linda, CA

ProsA great place to get your foot in the door. A beautiful community to grow and learn. The staff as well as the residents are the friendliest people ever. Everyone is welcoming and warm and the facility in Yorba Linda is clean and smells like a normal place + cookies! I am overjoyed for the opportunity to be employed by Sunrise in Yorba Linda.

ConsI have no cons to talk about this facility. Everything is truly excellent and I cannot think of a better place to have started my working experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

LPN Medication care manager

ProsPeople are nice, residents are mostly nice. Opportunity for new grad LPN

ConsSchedule is always mess up. They would put me to work every weekend, even if you ask for a day off, they may still schedule you to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect people's schedule.

My specific community seemed great at first and then reality showed its face.

Lead Care Manager (Former Employee)
    Shelby Township, MI

ProsThe memory care unit at my community was great. The organization has some great insight and ideas for assisting those with dementia. The residents were great!

ConsMy specific community had a great deal of management inappropriateness. It seemed like a wonderful place to work, until you were there long enough to realize the truth behind the facade. The care managers all worked great together, unit a position for Memory Care Director opened and one of the leads was competing for the position. A lot of ruthlessness, betrayal and inappropriate behavior going on between that lead care manager and a member of upper management. It was unfortunate, because I would have loved to stay and grow with the company long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck into each community for problems with management and actually follow up. You have a great organization that should not be tainted by poor leadership. Give employees an actual safe way of reporting certain behavior. Treat your employees well and they will stick with you. I know care jobs are a dime a dozen, but that shouldn't mean people who are good at their jobs and really care about people should be viewed as replaceable...and therefore mistreated and ignored.

It's like high school

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe place smells like cookies all the time.
    It's clean.

Cons-The staff act like they are still in high school.
    -Underpaid.
    -If they don't like you, you get few hours on the schedule.
    -moving up isn't that easy
    -the amount work assigned is not worth the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you place supervisors in a department make sure they enjoy doing that, rather than conmplaining.

The fundamental principles of the company are appropriate, but they are not implemented in an effective way.

ProsMy co-workers are hard working and dedicated, and the quality of life for residents is overall higher than other places I have worked.

ConsManagement does not always make decisions that benefit their staff, in fact a lot of times it is the opposite. They try to give their employees a voice but when you try and speak up they usually don't listen or take your concerns seriously. Expect to be short of staff and get hours cut frequently because management doesn't fill the rooms.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs an employee, I often feel we get the short end of the stick for managements downfalls.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Sunrise Senior Living Videos

Sunrise Senior Living – Why Work for Us?

Since 1981, Sunrise Senior Living has been the employer of choice for warm-hearted people searching for meaningful work in a nurturing, ethical and active environment. We offer a uniquely sensitive approach and personal… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sunrise Senior Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle . All 244 reviews posted anonymously by Sunrise Senior Living employees.