Sunrise Senior Living

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • People passionate about what they do and improving the quality of life for seniors (in 11 reviews)

• I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours bad mangement no respect (in 11 reviews)

• short staffed with care managers so we are stressed and over worked (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workload not to heavy
    Supervisors very understanding

Cons

No job security
    Unorganized
    Nosy co-workers

Loved the residents, hated management

Former Employee - Care Manager in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The residents were amazing. You could learn a lot about yourself and others. I met great friends and people there.

Cons

I worked really long hours and management still didn't care about us or the hard work we did. Management tried to fire me for a lot of write ups I had and they said I signed them... I did not. The care staff is underpaid for the work that they do. There was only 1 bonus of $25 dollars for thanksgiving. The raises were bare minimal.

Learn to appreciate your staff. Please don't lie to get staff fired. Maybe offer a decent raise.

Sunrise provides a valuable service.

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent training, pay, benefits and work environment. Good company culture and very rewarding work.

Cons

This is a huge company with some organizational flaws that make it difficult to answer to the various demands from corporate while managing one's day to day job responsibilities. Some disparity between high-paying customer expectations and poor delivery of service. Hard, sometimes grueling work. There are some "bad apples" in leadership roles who's behavior does not align with the value statement and mission of the organization. Too much tolerance for bad behavior.

Do not qualify someone for a promotion just because they have seniority within the company due to longevity. Apply the "Peter Principle" and place people in positions they can manage well.

Good support staff. Wonderful residents and families.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Home-like atmosphere for residents and staff.

Cons

Poor budget planning on staffing needs.

Please consider spending more money on staffing and less on beautification. It's beautiful and doesn't need to be constantly updated.

Not the best, not the worst.

Current Employee - Dining Service Host in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Dining Service Host in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

Management is easy to get along with and the coworkers are friendly

Cons

There seems to be a lack of communication at times with pertinent information.

Working at Sunrise is a challenge not because of the work, but because of the higher management and corporate.

Current Employee - Care Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The idea behind Sunrise is amazing and it is a very rewarding job.

Cons

Management foes not care about what the workers want. They only care about having the staff to do the job. They will hire anyone just to get bodies on the floor. The turnover rate is very high, and we often work short staffed not giving the residents the quality of care they need. There is hardly room to move up unless you become a lead which is not a significant pay difference. In most communities there is no difference between a care manager and a lead, we all do the same job and being a lead has no benefits over other workers. Care managers are the lowest paid workers in the building but at the most pivotal people for families. They base their lived ones stay around us and the quality of work we do for them. You get what you pay for. If you want high quality care, then higher quality people. To higher quality people you need to offer them more money. You will have people wanting to come in and people doing all they can to stay. Then you can weed out the bad workers.

Pay your workers more to get better workers and keep the good ones you have. When caring for 8 to 15 residents in one shift no person can offer the one on one care that sunrise promises their families. Take the time to sit down with the care managers and here their ideas. We know more about what goes on there than anyone else. We are your frontline workers, show us that you need us to be a successful business.

terrible

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

this is a terrible company

Cons

long hours bad mangement no respect

Don't Do it!

Former Employee - Regional
    Former Employee - Regional

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The residents of the communities are the absolute best thing about working for Sunrise.

Cons

Top and mid-level management have a mean-spirited attitude. When one of them makes a mistake, their first course of action is to blame an underling. Many of them are just plain immature and will hire/promote/fire based upon who they want to be friends with. Strange place.

Replace many of your mid-level, Regional managers/Directors. Until some of those people are replaced, this attitude will continue as they set the tone for the company. People should not be treated this way.

This was the worst company I ever worked for. The management is awful and unfair. I would not recommend this company.

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have nothing positive to say.

Cons

The regional management
    Regular management
    They don't value your hard work and effort

Be fair with those who are putting forth the effort

Terrible leadership and training

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Initial encouragement lasted about 2 months.

Cons

Training was not adequate. Management does not recognize any contributions that are made by employees. Understaffed! Too Nuh pressure with added responsibilities because management is not organized.

Listen to employee input and treat us with respect. Provide ad square training.

Sunrise Senior Living Photos