Sunrise Senior Living

Updated October 17, 2014
3.1

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 18 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes there was a lack of communication from management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Very fast paced, opportunities to learn, but you are just a number/position to them.

Current Employee - Executive Director in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Phila, PA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is an extremely fast paced company with high expectations. If you are smart and self-motivated, you can be very successful. There are many opportunities to learn. Company is huge therefore if you need to relocate, chances are you could find a job in another Sunrise. They are clustered around most major US metropolitan areas.

Cons

You are only as good as last week's financial results, you constantly have to prove/explain yourself. There is no support for directors. Regional teams are stretched thin and focus on putting out fires. Poor work life balance. Very political. Has changed from public company to private, and has changed owners every few years, which causes frequent reorganization. Regional and corporate jobs are therefore very vulnerable to layoffs.

Aside from the front line team members, your community management teams (coordinators and EDs) are your most important players. There is very high turnover in these positions, mainly Executive Directors, Health Care Coordinators and Directors of Sales due to an immense amount of pressure and lack of support. Many regional team members and Vice Presidents are rude, not responsive and not trustworthy. Training and support for EDs and coordinators is not a priority for the regional teams, they are more worried about that week's financial/sales results These are essential to the success of the communities.

Love this company

Current Employee - Activities Assistant
    Current Employee - Activities Assistant

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promote from within, rewards employees for outstanding work, supportive of continuing education, good work ethic and team work

Cons

Hours and budget cut can effect resident servces

remember that the needs of residents do not decrease simply because there may be fewer in the building at any given time-

Fantabulous in the healthcare industry

Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendliness, professionalism, homelike environment. I would have my family live at Sunrise, and only Sunrise

Cons

Polo shirts and khaki pants as the dress code

Great job!

Care partner assisting the elderly in anything/everything where they are unable to do for themselves.

Current Employee - Care Partner in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Care Partner in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Air conditioned, food given sometimes for job well done, we can conduct activities with residents, we are sitting down/standing up throughout shift, the decor inside is home like and pleasant, always sweet smelling odors in the air, I like working here...

Cons

Having to work with different age groups/personalities in a close home like setting. Co-workers not doing their tasks or young college workers not taking their job seriously. Too many residents to care for at once (13).

Thank you for hiring me. I really enjoy my job because it is rewarding but the pay is low. We either need more staff members on the floor in order to efficiently care for these residents or we should be given more pay. $10/hour is not enough to give complete care for 13 elderly people. I do it because I'm a single parent with children and have no choice.

Overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Residents are great, generally a fun, home-like environment that can be very warm and inviting.

Cons

Management is very cliquey. They preach communication, but fall short themselves. Favoritism is apparent.

Praise your good workers instead of just barely punishing the bad ones. People who work really hard rarely get noticed, just taken advantage of, yet the ones who barely try, seem to be praised any time they do a little bit more than their jobs call for. Coordinators get doted on non stop with gifts and bonuses, but the ones doing all the grunt work get nothing. Try to make all your staff, especially the front line, feel valued.

great place to work in my senior years

Current Employee - Wellness Nurse
    Current Employee - Wellness Nurse

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love my residents and families, we get to have fun while working. Ability to transfer to other communities if you need to move and maintain company benefits, which are pretty good.

Cons

management not very interested in our voice on a community level only on company wide level. No consistency in following procedure Although training is ok.all training is on Kiosk, people fall asleep, text and don't pay attention , once training is completed team members are expected to "get with it"

listen to your team, show appreciation on daily basis, be consistent as a management team, don't play favorites, follow the great policy and procedures Sunrise has in place for managing/appreciating your team consistently. Frequently coordinators don't know policy, promoted because they were a good care manger and now are their peers supervisor ,not a great idea.

Management is horrific.

Current Employee - Care Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice residents despite they the fact they should be in a nursing home NOT assisted living!

Cons

management only cares about money, has no respect for workers esp care managers. Constantly short staffed and doesn't care about quality of care for residents. ED is running facility into the ground. Half of the residents should be in nursing homes!

If you want quality care treat workers with respect.

Great company with many great employees!

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Residents and a great team. Everyone pulled their weight even when things came up.

Cons

There was clear division in teamwork between units. People felt under appreciated when working with another team.

Promote unity. It'll provide a better work environment.

Stressful, our property had a high volume of turnover.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Caring for residents and supporting their loved ones.

Cons

In my opinion, regional and corporate oversight were burdensome, though some benefit was derived by the economies of scale.

Remember the mission and values we were required to embody. And, remember that they needed to be applied by staff in order to maintain the clientele needed to attain/maintain occupancy targets.

Corprate Greed...at it's finest

Current Employee - Transportation in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Transportation in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The residents are awesome, which makes the job itself rewarding. The employees (excluding upper managment) are great to work with, everyone helps eachother and they all care for the residents.

Cons

Poor pay. Heath Insurance is too expensive. Upper Managment & Corprate only care about budget and profit. There is very little communication from Managment and Corprate can not be bothered with pretty much anything of concern.

Sunrise Senior Living Photos