Sunrise Senior Living

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • People passionate about what they do and improving the quality of life for seniors (in 11 reviews)

• I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours bad mangement no respect (in 11 reviews)

• short staffed with care managers so we are stressed and over worked (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

The friendly atmosphere, the beautiful landscape & artichecture, the cleanlines

Current Employee - Care Manager
    Current Employee - Care Manager

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly, helpful, good managment, very good co-workers

Cons

The scheduling needs better work

This was the worst company I ever worked for. The management is awful and unfair. I would not recommend this company.

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have nothing positive to say.

Cons

The regional management
    Regular management
    They don't value your hard work and effort

Be fair with those who are putting forth the effort

Don't Do it!

Former Employee - Regional
    Former Employee - Regional

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The residents of the communities are the absolute best thing about working for Sunrise.

Cons

Top and mid-level management have a mean-spirited attitude. When one of them makes a mistake, their first course of action is to blame an underling. Many of them are just plain immature and will hire/promote/fire based upon who they want to be friends with. Strange place.

Replace many of your mid-level, Regional managers/Directors. Until some of those people are replaced, this attitude will continue as they set the tone for the company. People should not be treated this way.

Apply and Apply... Never even get a call for an interview.
    I'm a gerontology major with nursing background

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Im assuming working with and assisting the elderly live a higher quality of life

Cons

Wish I could actually get a interview... Not just a letter saying, "after speaking with you we have selected another candidate... Best of luck on your venture..

This would be acceptable, except for the fact, not once have I ever spoken to anyone???? I have received 3 letters for different postings, never once talked to anyone

Is anyone even looking at my applications, or resumes'

Very poor workplace, care managers are unhappy and miserable

Current Employee - Care Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Here for the residents only!

Cons

There is no respect for caremanagers! There is no motivation, no leadership, not one thank you! Management is only interested in money and their end of the year bonus, which can be up to 8,000. Caremanagers get an orange coffee cup for their bonus. Our pay is 9.00 per hour, we are always under staff, residents are NOT receiving proper care!!!!! We are under staff!!!!

Very fast paced, opportunities to learn, but you are just a number/position to them.

Current Employee - Executive Director in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Phila, PA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is an extremely fast paced company with high expectations. If you are smart and self-motivated, you can be very successful. There are many opportunities to learn. Company is huge therefore if you need to relocate, chances are you could find a job in another Sunrise. They are clustered around most major US metropolitan areas.

Cons

You are only as good as last week's financial results, you constantly have to prove/explain yourself. There is no support for directors. Regional teams are stretched thin and focus on putting out fires. Poor work life balance. Very political. Has changed from public company to private, and has changed owners every few years, which causes frequent reorganization. Regional and corporate jobs are therefore very vulnerable to layoffs.

Aside from the front line team members, your community management teams (coordinators and EDs) are your most important players. There is very high turnover in these positions, mainly Executive Directors, Health Care Coordinators and Directors of Sales due to an immense amount of pressure and lack of support. Many regional team members and Vice Presidents are rude, not responsive and not trustworthy. Training and support for EDs and coordinators is not a priority for the regional teams, they are more worried about that week's financial/sales results These are essential to the success of the communities.

Level of Care Excellent

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff truly care about the residents and aren't just there for a paycheck. The corporation has a good reputation. The benefits are excellent. The atmosphere is homey and the time with residents is fulfilling.

Cons

Bureaucracy can be a pain. Making changes for the good of staff and residents can take forever. The company has been sold to two separate corporations for care and for real estate, and that has resulted in another level of removal of top levels from staff doing the work day to day. Care staff turnover is too high.

Literally, walk a mile in the shoes of every front line staff position. Shadow each of us through a full day at least, for a week at coordinator level. Do not pass down directives from on high without input from the residents and staff. Be more creative about Corporate rewards for excellent work, eg discounts at more places than Verizon, restore cash rewards for years of service (drop new "gift catalog"), say Thanks more, and show respect especially for the Reminiscence Neighborhood. Require directors and coordinators to spend at least 2 days a month on the floor all day with staff and residents.

Fantastic

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Very well organized, very home like for our seniors, great company culture.

Cons

They need to incorporate more division wide training to help directors understand what it is like being on the front line at a community.

share more personal time with the front line staff

Love this company

Current Employee - Activities Assistant
    Current Employee - Activities Assistant

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promote from within, rewards employees for outstanding work, supportive of continuing education, good work ethic and team work

Cons

Hours and budget cut can effect resident servces

remember that the needs of residents do not decrease simply because there may be fewer in the building at any given time-

great place to work in my senior years

Current Employee - Wellness Nurse
    Current Employee - Wellness Nurse

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love my residents and families, we get to have fun while working. Ability to transfer to other communities if you need to move and maintain company benefits, which are pretty good.

Cons

management not very interested in our voice on a community level only on company wide level. No consistency in following procedure Although training is ok.all training is on Kiosk, people fall asleep, text and don't pay attention , once training is completed team members are expected to "get with it"

listen to your team, show appreciation on daily basis, be consistent as a management team, don't play favorites, follow the great policy and procedures Sunrise has in place for managing/appreciating your team consistently. Frequently coordinators don't know policy, promoted because they were a good care manger and now are their peers supervisor ,not a great idea.

Sunrise Senior Living Photos