Sunrun Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
60 reviews filtered by
2.9
Lynn Jurich

Pros
  • Free Friday lunch, some free snacks and milk, free coffee (in 3 reviews)

• Working with a lot of smart people who really care about what they do (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • That in itself would not be so unusual, as industry folks want to work in their field (in 3 reviews)

• No one wants to go back and ensure all the new customers the company signs up are in a good place with their new agreement (in 3 reviews)

1. Great People, messy upper management

Former Employee - Field Marketing in Hilo, HI
    Former Employee - Field Marketing in Hilo, HI

I worked at Sunrun

Pros

Coworkers and team at every branch.

Cons

Too much middle management layers.

Visit the troops more.

Great future ahead

Current Employee - Solar Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company is growing rapidly.
    Really fun people.
    Flexible with schedule.
    Great experience to learn the industry's customers.
    Great way to start in the solar industry.

Cons

Must be good with people.
    Lots of time inside an office.

Streamline more.

3. Great company to work at

I worked at Sunrun

Pros

Fun work environment and great people

Cons

not that I can think of

5. So good

Current Employee - Operations Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Growth growth growth. This company is expanding rapidly and provides a lot of room for upward mobility.

Cons

Growth growth growth. Because of the rapid expansion, things are constantly in flux.

As the company continues to grow, don't promote strictly based on seniority. There are a lot of great employees who have not been here since the beginning, but will contribute to a shared success.

6. Operations

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance
    No micromanagement. Good support from management

Cons

Can not think of one.

Keep supporting your team and rewarding the team on their efforts.

Cocky, Immature and Unprofessional management team. plain and simple.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sunrun full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I used to like this place. For a software engineer, they provide a great platform to learn, the tech teams are buzzing with technology. But everything ends there.

Cons

I worked with the ERP & CRM teams. The senior management is extremely unprofessional, unplanned and they expect you to be on the job 24/7. They think they own you by giving you a job and if on someday you cannot be available 24 hrs, the next day the management will ridicule and taunt you in front of everyone. these guys have no professionalism, they use abusive language on the floor and at will without considering that there are women around. Worst leadership in these 2 teams. i pity the CEO, young dynamic with a vision but has hired a bunch of misfits who are taking the image of the company in a nosedive.

have closed door discussions with your employees and contractors, you will understand that the amount of pains they have and how overworked they are. it is only a matter of time before which somebody reports to labor board or sues you.

Disappointed

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast on Mondays and lunch on Fridays
    You really are coming to work every day to change the future of energy
    Wonderful CEO

Cons

I really have high hopes for the company but the culture at Sunrun is not great. Internal communication is terrible and practically nonexistent, benefits have been taken away, employees are worked like dogs because the company wants to stay "lean," the departments that need help the most can't get head count increases. It's nearly impossible to be productive at the office because it's so loud and chaotic. There are never conference rooms available. Cross-functional teams don't work together or communicate because they're too overworked. Despite the most positive attitude, it just seems like the odds are working against you when you're working at Sunrun. And it really stinks when you believe in the product and business model.

Stop taking away benefits that are on employees' contracts. Taking away sick time is making everyone in the office come to work sick and contribute to the problem. (It's just common decency to give your employees sick time, especially when most employees are customer facing...)
    Don't give out an employee engagement survey, give employees hope things will get better, and proceed to take away benefits after the survey goes out. What a punch in the stomach.
    Make culture a priority so smart people will want to work at Sunrun

9. This place has lost its culture and everything I loved!

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product that is pretty easy to sell. No cold calling. The San Francisco office is cool.

Cons

Working in Scottsdale makes you feel like the red headed step child of a cool company. The office is very unhappy and there is no good culture. The free snacks and meals they talk about in SFO are non existent. The managers and supervisors do not know the job and they micro-manage. They don't hire from within so the only opportunity for growth is lateral to customer service.

Build a culture where people want to be here and do the job. Don't micro-manage and change shifts on a whim.

Worst job I have ever had and that is NO exaggeration!

Current Employee - Permit Coordinator
    Current Employee - Permit Coordinator

I have been working at Sunrun

Pros

All the major holidays off which is unheard of unless you work for the government
    Have a company car
    Good start pay for my position

Cons

This is a position that is the slave of the branch. ALL the miscellaneous gets dumped on the Permit Coordinator as if we were office assistants
    Unprofessional work environment--staff curse as the norm, office employees allowed to read all day long and text and hang out rather than find work to do, while other positions slave away
    Design team makes numerous mistakes--plans always wrong which makes permitting chaotic
    Zero permitting support from branch employees--no help or support whatsoever, including from Branch Manager
    People don't have phone numbers at this company--they only list their emails as the norm--that says it all--no support!
    Totally un-standardized at install branches
    It's all about the image of the branch--with no one knowing how screwed up people are acting and things are running

Honestly, I have no advice just expression to say that this is THE worst job that I have ever had and I left a great job where people were wonderful, thinking this was the next step. Wrong! I can't say enough bad things about the branch I work at--the people are unprofessional and this job is a nightmare. It makes me see what slaves the solar industry tries to make people. They'll use you for everything they can. Definitely my last solar job. When I leave it in the near future, I hope be taking a few people's jobs with me.

Field Marketing/Retail on Sunrun Direct side of the business -- chaotic, disorganized and hard to navigate

Current Employee - Retail Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sunrun full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are amazing. Company culture is A+.

Cons

Re-orgs are a constant. No consistency from senior leadership. Lack of visibility into initiatives. Numerous focus changes -- one month it's growth, the next it's profitability, the next it is stability, the next it's ethics. No one can keep up.

Think before you act. People are real, not numbers.