Sunshine House

Dale Vervaet

My opinion.

Current Employee - After School Teacher in Aiken, SC
    Current Employee - After School Teacher in Aiken, SC

I have been working at Sunshine House part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Sunshine House is a huge daycare franchise with multiple locations across the US. They have a wonderful after-school program called Quest Zone that serves as a partnership to Elementary Schools in my local School District. The program is very convenient for parents because the after school care is provided in certain Elementary school cafeterias.I think this program is a huge success and am a current employee(After School Teacher). Employees are offered great discounts on childcare and after-school prices

Cons

I have nothing negative to say.

Not what I thought this place was.....

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Sunshine House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The kids, the center looks really nice.

Cons

Pay: is way too low, hours:if you are not everyone's favorite person your hours get cut, favoritism: management picks favorites that is how they decide who's hours they want to cut , drama:this place is like highschool , unorganized, stressful.

Please stop playing favorites some of the leads one in particular is very difficult to work with. Please increase the pay it's very low. Stop cutting hours ...if you are going to hire a bunch of people you need to make sure you have the finances to cover everyone.....this place is stressful I will be finding some other place to work

Great Company to work for!!

Former Employee - Preschool Lead Teacher in Stockbridge, GA
    Former Employee - Preschool Lead Teacher in Stockbridge, GA

I worked at Sunshine House full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The children, Assistant Director is awesome, Security, opportunities to grow,

Cons

pay is so-so, director seems clueless, some of the staff are childish, lot of drama, a lot of favoritism

Hire more professional teachers who aren't lazy and just want to keep up drama.

stressful job with minimal help from managment

Former Employee - Lead Two's Teacher in Mint Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Lead Two's Teacher in Mint Hill, NC

I worked at Sunshine House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The kids a the best part of the job!

Cons

I worked as a lead two year old teacher and had a special needs child who was much older but because he could never be potty trained he could never be moved up. The managment knew this child needed one on one care instead they left me with him and 7 other two year old who had to be potty trained. needles to say there wasn't much teaching going on which I regret but it is all a teacher can do to make sure meals are served and cleaned up and children are taken potty and diapers changed and deal with coming and going of children and cleaning the room. This job requires a lot and needs two teachers to perform correctly.

staff appropriate amount of teachers.

What makes one stay here?

I have been working at Sunshine House (more than 3 years)

Pros

The kids, they are the best part of the job. Great Coworkers for the most part.

Cons

-Low pay
    -No raises (they did say we would start getting them, however that hasn't happened)
    -Minimum benefits
    -Kids stay in the class when they are sick, because management "forgets" to call parents putting everyones health at risk.
    -If you are sick you will be asked to come in anyway, because they are short staffed.
    -Similar to high school (either you are a favorite or you are out)
    -Don't expect sympathy or time off when you lose a loved one.

Give raises, we are more than babysitters. These kids spend more time with us than their own families, the only thing that keeps myself and others going in to work is those sweet kids we teach and watch grow up in our classrooms. Help teachers enforce that kids especially staff kids that are sick and running fever be sent home so we can enjoy our paychecks instead of having to give it away at the doctors office because we caught their sickness.

Great company, gone bad

I worked at Sunshine House full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to work with children and families to make a difference and prepare them for the future. Larger provider with the potential to have a great support team for the centers. Multiple locations

Cons

Poor leadership. Lack of communication within
    Failure to support their centers
    Do not have a clear vision , consistency , and good communications with their employees

Listen to the staff and families to provide good customer service.
    Create a vision that is communicated and acted upon

Good and bad

Former Employee - Lead Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher

I worked at Sunshine House full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The actual job was great. It was fun working with the kids. It was a clean and well run daycare.

Cons

They asked us to work "voluntary" events for the company without pay. They said it went on our employee record and would help determine if we should get raises or not, but they didn't mention that there was a 5 year long (and still going) wage freeze. When the clothing washer broke, they asked the staff to take home the daycare's laundry to do on their own time. Also, management told me that teachers in certain rooms are not considered for higher positions because they were too hard to replace.

Be honest about the lack of planning time and the true student/teacher ratios. It's a bigger disappointment and upsetting when you find out it's not true.

Lead teacher

Current Employee - Teacher in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Sunshine House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The kids are literally the only reason I worked here for as long as I did.

Cons

Bad management- favoritism shown in whose hours get cut. Number of parents have been withdrawing children from center due to lack of leadership, immature staff and management, and honestly, no curriculum. So kids are not learning much of anything besides things the teacher there are putting in the initiative to teach from their own knowledge. There's no accountability for anything. Management will blame staff for every and anything that goes wrong.

Treat your employees like they are valuable to the company. They are the reason your center is still opened. Even the best workers will leave because they do not feel valued nor appreciated for the immense amount of work they do for little pay (no raises)

The management is clueless.

Current Employee - Assistant Pre-K Teacher
    Current Employee - Assistant Pre-K Teacher

I have been working at Sunshine House full-time (more than a year)

Pros

2 months off a year.

Cons

The management is horrible.

Learn how to keep up employee moral.

Absolutely horrible end to a long career!

Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sunshine House full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Previously great working atmosphere, NOT the company it was. A "restructuring" w/out original owners has decimated this company

Cons

Low pay, continued reduction of benefits, overworked employees. Decision makers don't care about people....only @ cutting costs & making $.

This company needs middle management and senior management that understand that a service industry is people based, NOT dollar based. Be happy with less profits and providing excellent service with good reputation