Sunstates Security

2.3

CEO

good experience in security

I worked at Sunstates Security

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

no weekends off too many managers

good management

The worst company I've ever worked for

I worked at Sunstates Security as a contractor

Pros

There are no pros. This company is horrendous.

Cons

My immediate manager was an inveterate liar. There is no management strategy employed at this company. Lucky for me I was an experienced guard because there's NO in-house training. Example: You could be scheduled for one site at 7:00, show up on time, and they'd call you at 7:02 to go clear across town to cover another site. The pay sucked. They put guards far from their home making it harder to get there. It appears they would rather set you up to fail in 6 months so they never pay vacation time or let employees qualify for health benefits. I've worked for 37 yrs. in govt, security and others and this was by far the worst experience of my life.

Get a clue. Have a strategy and stop treating people deceitfully. Don't act as if they were throw away pieces to discard whenever you become tired of them.

Good Company but terrible Corporate management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sunstates Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work, good down time, Some good co workers

Cons

No advancement opportunities. They will tell you there are but then you never see them. The upper management treats you like crap. I worked there for 3 years and for 2 yrs. i was talked to like a dog. only reason i stayed was for a paycheck. You get promoted with no pay increase, was there for 3 yrs and never got a raise, you get employee of the month and not told about it til a year later. The management will tell you one thing then lie about it to make you look bad in front of the client. If you show up early for work you get threatened to be fired even thou you didnt clock in. those that show up late or always call out get promoted. No matter how hard you work its never good enough.

Treat the employees better after all they are the reason you(managment) have a job and drive those BMW's.

Good temporary job, but NOT a true career opportunity. Questionable ethics and a dead end advancement path.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sunstates Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Training Department is well managed and continually improving.
    - Opportunity for a low level supervisor spot is readily available if you're even a halfway decent employee.
    - Glenn Burrell seems to have a genuine and honest vision for improving the industry as a whole - unfortunately it's a losing battle.

Cons

- No room for advancement. Sunstates talks a good game about career opportunities, but they really aren't there. Once you hit site supervisor there is nowhere to go since the upper management will even admit themselves that "the work is easier and the money is better". On the rare occasion that a high level position does open up, the talk of "hiring from within" goes out the window as well.
    - Ethics are terrible. During my time as a supervisor, I repeatedly uncovered and reported falsified documents and other dishonesty by my superiors, and to my knowledge nothing serious was ever done. These people will tell you what they think you want to hear long enough to get what they want out of you and then forget you ever existed.
    - Compensation seems comparable, but then again, like most contract agencies they are getting paid almost $30 an hour per officer and paying the person actually doing the work $9 an hour. There is a tremendous gap between officers and low level supervisors and branch leadership. Once again, the statement "the work gets easier and the money gets better" - that is NOT the way it should be.
    - Officers and Site Supervisors work hard. As a Supervisor I was on call and on the hook for my site 24/7. I was never guaranteed a day off or even an afternoon with my family without work taking over. $24,000 a year wasn't even close to enough pay for the hassle. The rare occasions when I called on a manager for support because I truly couldn't be at the site, I received no help whatsoever. Generally speaking, the good site supervisors work much harder than the account and branch managers for much less money. Add to that no holidays and (in some cases), not even holiday pay for working Christmas, Labor Day, etc., and it gets old fast.

Be honest with employees. This is a job, not a career...unless you know somebody up high or have an MBA. Hire people looking for a job and nothing more and let career seekers invest their time somewhere meaningful.

overall sunstates is a descent career.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sunstates Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Segway training, CPR, First Aid, Leadership, Quick Response

Cons

Crunched Hours, Job Security, Benefits, Hourly pay

Need to allow leniency to trainees and employees. Firing employees without a warning or small cause is bad leadership. They cant better themselves and fix mistakes without getting canned.

Profits Before People

Former Employee - Security Officer in Paulsboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Paulsboro, NJ

I worked at Sunstates Security

Pros

The corporate management gives a convincing illusion of caring about its employees, when they're meeting you for the first time when they take over your site.

Cons

They allow themselves to be intimidated by the management at the client sites, being bullied into hiring unprofessional, inexperienced people for both on-site management positions and officer positions, and pay no heed to complaints given to them by the officers who're treated unfairly and openly contact corporate management with complaints of sexual harassment, nepotism and unwarranted condescension at the hands of the Site Managers, whose lack of professionalism leave them running the site like it's their own personal playground. Of course I'm speaking from experience at only one site (although the Area Manager's spinelessness when it comes to standing up to site managers is known throughout the entire area).

Hire from within the company, and stand by what you tout on your web site and in your training meetings, rather than laying down for the customer.

Could be better, poor management

I worked at Sunstates Security full-time

Pros

Great Hours, ok pay, ok resources.

Cons

Poor Management, hire better staff

Hire better upper level Management

What a turn.

I have been working at Sunstates Security

Pros

Decent industry pay. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

Poor training. No management support. Most of the managers have been layed off or fired. Can't get proper uniforms or supplies to do your job. I never seen an office go so far down hill the last couple years.

Get more field supervision.

Not a bad place to work short-term

I have been working at Sunstates Security

Pros

Upper-management was nice and approachable, actually thanked employees for doing a good job or covering extra shifts.

Cons

Do not pay as well as similar companies, found out guards at other sites were paid more although our site required more training. Do not give yearly raises, your starting pay is what you will make as long as you are with the company!

Pay your ppl what they are worth.

Overall a very positive experience. The pay was around the industry standard but the benefits were great.

Current Employee - SECURITY OFFICER FULL TIME
    Current Employee - SECURITY OFFICER FULL TIME

I have been working at Sunstates Security

Pros

Benefits offered include vacation time and medical coverage.

Requirements:
    Security Experience, Able to complete Walking Patrol Rounds, Customer Service Skills, Excellent Report Writing Skills.

Clean Criminal Background, Pass Drug Screening.

Cons

The hours are long, but as long as you get rest before your shift it isn't too bad.

Continue to promote from within the company. Increase of the salary above industry standards.