Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro)

www.supermicro.com

Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) Chairman, President, and CEO Charles Liang

Charles Liang

Pros
  • Free breakfast (but only enough for half the building)(in 15 reviews)

• Free Breakfast and free dinner box if stay over 8:00 pm(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours to cover management incompetency(in 16 reviews)

• Non-flexible working hours, have to be there no later than 9am, and if you leave right at 6pm you get dirty look(in 12 reviews)

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You are on your own and be humble

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFree breakfast, and free supper if you stay beyond 7:30pm.
    The CEO is very smart and has the intuition toward computer technology and the chief architect for all products. He . makes all decisions big or small. Without him, the company will come to a halt in no time.
    No need to worry about job security.

ConsNo management at all. The company grew from small to this big and the management team are the old people who do not know how to manage. They all just follow the eyes of the CEO and want to know what is in his mind and where he attention is.
    Company treat a few old employees as treasure despite incapability, give power to manage and good compensation..

Advice to Senior ManagementGood pay to the few old incapable employees show the CEO has deep feeling towards their past contribution. but giving the management power will do company more harm than good, their inability to management causes company loss and many people just relax and stay without doing anything, which in turn harm all employees' enthusiasm to contribute and cause low spirit and attitude towards work.

one man show leader

Validation Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosfree dinner, good health insurance, good learning experience for fresh grad

Conswork like horse, low salary, poor management quality

Advice to Senior Managementappreciate employee more

Worst work experience ever!

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCan't think of a single thing that I would consider as a pro

ConsOffice and management culture is awful. English language is barely used among most employes

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inside Sales

Inside Sales (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsNo quota pressure
    No one will get fired

ConsVery unorganized upper management
    Managers of each department dislike each other which makes it difficult to work

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice to your employees

Assembly

Assembler/Tester (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros+ Overtime almost every week + on Saturday with lunch buffet.
    + Friendly coworkers. I still have contacts with most of my coworkers including my supervisor.
    + This gave me a boost to my bank to continue my education after working there for a year.

ConsHourly paid is lower than others, but still acceptable

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to give promotion to active employees

Learn and Leave

Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros- Great opportunities to learn, hands on for the latest tech in server industry.
    - Plenty of resource for work functionality.
    - Some nice and smart coworkers.
    - Up to standard medical plans.
    - You get a job to feed your own.

Cons- Management is horrible, most of the reviews below stated the bullet points already.
    - No career achievement and satisfaction when you get your work accomplished, which is a big let down.
    - Unclear career advancement and development, high possibility of idleness on growth.
    - Performance review based on OT but not your actual performance. Expect you to stay late to look good in front of upper managers. Work late but not work smart. People who stay late always get good impression from manager.
    - Micromanagement issues, but this depends on the team you work in.
    - Below average compensation and benefits.
    - Work contribution for the company will get you nothing but just to let your manager's team look better in front of others.
    - Free dinner if you stay after 8pm, they will broadcast warning email if they caught someone getting dinner and left at 7:30pm. Level up on skills to sneak out dinner boxes if you want to leave earlier.
    - Typical Asian/Taiwanese company culture, avoid at all cost.
    - CHEAP on everything, last year CEO cancelled annual Christmas party, reason is to focus on generating more revenue even the company already reached record high.
    - Advice to all, come work for them if you desperately needed a job, because it is not hard to get in.

Advice to Senior ManagementMajor reconstruction on management style and company culture, then you get a highly potential company.

Weak management

Validation Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThey give you h1b, and breakfast

Conswork hard but not work smart.
    long hours to cover management incompetency.
    Managers are weak to speak up and take responsibility. So they just follow others and push whatever to their engineers without understanding what they are delegating.
    No 401k match.
    Cheap on everything....
    Bad work environment.
    Cost down to everything.

Language barrier.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelpless....

Do you want to make 80k as an assembler?

Assembler/Tester Team I (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCrazy OT for production but its rewarding since you can bring home 5k monthly after tax as a lowly assembler than entry level engineer.

Great Insurance package, free PPO , low co-pays. Can use PPO to get free massages.

Won't fire as long as you stick to where you are supposed to be. Some ass kissing will get you a promotion, eventually.

Free meals.

Conslong work hours, but you can fly under the radar pretty easily.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the OT coming.

A big mixed bag of good and bad, not much different from other Silicon Valley companies

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLots smart people want to do the right things. Company continues to grow rapidly, both in revenue and headcount.

Excellent training ground for newbies and recent grads.

Too much free food, from daily breakfasts at 8:30, lots "working" lunch meetings serving sandwiches and bento boxes, and decent nightly takeout dinner boxes from respectable eateries. If you show up on Saturday, free Chinese lunch 12:30.

ConsDrawback of a family environment is your bosses wanting to get into every gritty detail of your work and personal life. Remind me of the annual Christmas ritual with one particular grand uncle asking me about my salary, children's education, property value and even sex life when he was too drunk.

Career advancement is nil. Seniority, which is often associated with age and years of service, dominates the landscape. It helps even more if you are one of CEO's special person.

Productivity and performance is often associated with long work hours. 9 to 9 is quite common in Engineering and Production. Directors and above in all departments are expected to set examples of dedication to their underlings. CEO takes a personal interest to know who is working late, or people working late try to show their faces to CEO, or a combination of both.

Resistance to change is a tough nut to crack. Supermicro has been highly successful based on the existing management approach and recipe. It is human nature resisting changes. Aint Broken, Dont Fix It. Yet, this current management regime is experiencing difficulties. It only gets tougher down the road.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet aside your ego, focus on employees and shareholder value.

Supermicro can grow to $5B in 3 years after you lead the changes transformation.

Not a good company to work for as an assembler

Assembler/Tester (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThere's a vending machine in the dining room where random employees always shakes and hits, so there will be free snacks that drop down more than once in a while to be shared around the assembly line workers. Besides that, insurance and benefits are pretty decent.

ConsManagers that have no idea whats going on and expect you to go overtime all day everyday just to increase the production. People who work at the assembly line are treated like dirt (the ones without any education and dont speak english well and taken advantage of), and at least back when I worked there it felt like a legalized sweatshop that pays in US dollars so it gets by. You will have 0 work life balance, and unless you are struggling to get by in the US and Supermicro is your only hope due to not speaking English and having no other connects

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat your labor workers with more respect. Also, stop operating/thinking like this is in Taiwan or China. This is the US of A, please hire managers who know how to manage to make production efficient and effective, also try to learn the culture here instead of using the work the lowly uneducated people to death strategy.

Worked for Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro)? Contribute to the Community!