Super Supplements

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
2.9

Jim Sweeney

Was a great place to gain experience in a friendly and professional environment.

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the most part, the employees were viewed as valuable. Particularly before the company was acquired.

Cons

The culture is in transition from being a locally owned and operated, small business atmosphere to becoming more of a corporate setting with tighter budgets and greater expectations. There seems to be less room for people to try out alternative ideas.

Return some of the focus onto the employees. They were seen as valuable before, and they should continue to be.

Great Seattle Based Company

I worked at Super Supplements

Pros

Excellent staff training opportunities, attended many cutting edge product trainings.

Cons

Wish they were still an independent company!

It was a Super Company

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are for the most part enjoyable. If you're passionate about the natural products industry, and if you already know the products, this might be worth it.

Cons

We went from a philosophy of "Assume Positive Intent" under Super Supplements to "treat every employee and vendor like a potential thief" under Vitamin Shoppe. Perks are disappearing. The education program was gutted. Labor was cut drastically. There is too much stress on managers and a poor work/life balance.

It's too late. Every Super Supplements will be a Vitamin Shoppe within a year and a half. Mark my words. Everything that made this company great (for customer and employee) has been lost, except for the few die-hard old employees trained under the old regime that still know their stuff.

Amazing company!

Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Super Supplements full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For the first time in my life, I finally have a job that I care about. What I do makes a positive difference in other peoples lives. My knowledge, passion, and skills have lead me to this point and are finally being put to use.

In the past week I've gained a form of wealth I never considered. It's not the monetary gains that give me this sense of wealth, but the people I work with, the products I sell, and the people I assist.

Cons

The training program and modules could benefit from an update.

Friendly, family oriented, professional place to work

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very family oriented and understanding of the fact that we all have a life outside of work.
    Great compensation
    Open Door Management

Cons

Not many positions open
    Only one location

Not Super Anymore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, was a fantastic place to work, we shared a common goal.

Cons

Strong emphasis on Loss Prevention and lots of rules and box-checking. No longer has the same perks it once did before it was bought out by Vitamin Shoppe. Very Little support for store managers.

Focus on the passion, not the process. You're hemorrhaging good people who actually know the product and are great at customer service.

Used to be a Great Company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

friendly, flexible, allowed overtime, bonuses, lots of free products and training. They were bought out by Vitamin Shoppe, so I am not sure on how it is to work there any longer.. I have heard it went down hill.

Cons

Bought out by vitamin shoppe, pay could be better, always changing policy

Once was a wonderful Company....not so much since Vitamin Shoppe takeover.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As Super Supplements a ton of pros: free products, vendor training, Super Start (a training that introduces new employees to culture of Super Supplements). These perks no longer exist under Vitamin Shoppe leadership.

Cons

Vendor and corporate training has been cut. The outstanding Super Supplement learning and development program drastically cut and/or non existent. The culture of family type operation is gone since Vitamin Shoppe took over.

Jim Sweeney had wonderful vision for this company, but since Vitamin Shoppe has come in everything has changed. Vitamin Shoppe wanted Super Supplements because of how successful their business model was, it was based on employee education and superior customer service. If they want to be successful they must return to this type of business otherwise they will continue to lose all their best assets.

Great idea, good people, all ruined by corporate buy-outs.

I have been working at Super Supplements full-time (more than an year)

Pros

What Super Supplements does- or used to do, anyway- is educate. They invested a great deal of time and effort into educating their staff, so their staff could educate their customers. This allowed us to help people, as in, *really* help people, every day. It made what could have been just another retail job into something rewarding and fulfilling. It *was* a great place to work.

Cons

And then Vitamin Shoppe bought the company and it has been downhill ever since. All the focus has shifted from improving the lives of our customers to making as much money off them as possible. We used to talk about people; now we only talk about numbers. We used to talk about how to invest in our employees; now we have endless memos about how to prevent employee theft, mandatory bag checks every single time we walk out the door, and they even go so far as to outline pat-downs if you're wearing a coat. I guess if you're into the soulless corporate sales game, and enjoy working for a company who will hire just about anyone because they are going to treat all their employees like potential criminals, instead of members of a team, it's great. But if you want to feel like a human being working with other human beings, I'd look elsewhere.

Focus less on the numbers and more on the people. When you are honestly invested in your customers and your employees, the numbers will sort themselves out.

Liked a lot about the company and great people.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training events were awesome, people I worked with were great.

Cons

Store was very busy and small, tough to help everyone when we were busy which was 90 percent of the time.
    Bought by Vitamin Shoppe who I have worked for. Vitamin Shoppe was not a good company to work for.

Super Supplements Photos

Employee Appreciation Party Superstars!

+ Add Photo