Super Supplements Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
39 reviews filtered by

Once was a wonderful Company....not so much since Vitamin Shoppe takeover.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As Super Supplements a ton of pros: free products, vendor training, Super Start (a training that introduces new employees to culture of Super Supplements). These perks no longer exist under Vitamin Shoppe leadership.

Cons

Vendor and corporate training has been cut. The outstanding Super Supplement learning and development program drastically cut and/or non existent. The culture of family type operation is gone since Vitamin Shoppe took over.

Jim Sweeney had wonderful vision for this company, but since Vitamin Shoppe has come in everything has changed. Vitamin Shoppe wanted Super Supplements because of how successful their business model was, it was based on employee education and superior customer service. If they want to be successful they must return to this type of business otherwise they will continue to lose all their best assets.

Great idea, good people, all ruined by corporate buy-outs.

I have been working at Super Supplements full-time (more than a year)

Pros

What Super Supplements does- or used to do, anyway- is educate. They invested a great deal of time and effort into educating their staff, so their staff could educate their customers. This allowed us to help people, as in, *really* help people, every day. It made what could have been just another retail job into something rewarding and fulfilling. It *was* a great place to work.

Cons

And then Vitamin Shoppe bought the company and it has been downhill ever since. All the focus has shifted from improving the lives of our customers to making as much money off them as possible. We used to talk about people; now we only talk about numbers. We used to talk about how to invest in our employees; now we have endless memos about how to prevent employee theft, mandatory bag checks every single time we walk out the door, and they even go so far as to outline pat-downs if you're wearing a coat. I guess if you're into the soulless corporate sales game, and enjoy working for a company who will hire just about anyone because they are going to treat all their employees like potential criminals, instead of members of a team, it's great. But if you want to feel like a human being working with other human beings, I'd look elsewhere.

Focus less on the numbers and more on the people. When you are honestly invested in your customers and your employees, the numbers will sort themselves out.

3. Liked a lot about the company and great people.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training events were awesome, people I worked with were great.

Cons

Store was very busy and small, tough to help everyone when we were busy which was 90 percent of the time.
    Bought by Vitamin Shoppe who I have worked for. Vitamin Shoppe was not a good company to work for.

5. OK at Best

I worked at Super Supplements

Pros

Not many. Occasional access to free products, decent location.

Cons

No windows in E-Comerce office. Management did not communicate well.

Communicate with your employees. Do not hide sensitive information...

"WAS" a good place to work, until the buyout

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Product knowledge on natural remedies

Cons

I wouldn't think twice about working here again. After the buyout the entire atmosphere changed. Lost quarterly bonuses, lost free product trials, lost product training incentives and last but not least, cut in sick time/ Paid time off.
    More corporate minded now that its owned by Vitamin Shoppe. Don't expect much here now!

Maybe learn how to take charge of your own actions.

7. Poor Management

I worked at Super Supplements full-time

Pros

Good benefits, paid training's, f/t hours, decent wage.

Cons

Management displayed excessive favoritism by allowing certain employee's to not pull their own weight.

Keep better tabs on management and staff by spending time in the store on a more regular basis. Take employee concerns more seriously. Talk to employee's on a regular basis and ask them if they are satisfied with their work environment.

Poorly trained managers who are ineffective

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Training about supplements by vendors, discount when buying products, some great co-workers, helping customers solve their issues.

Cons

The sale to Vitamin Shoppe resulted in more of a corporate rigid feel. Benefits with Vitamin Shoppe resulted in greatly reduced alternative medical care coverage, plus some of my practitioners wouldn't deal with the new insurance company! That's what happens when the share holders are more important than the employees! So much for walking the talk.

Train your managers better. Have them get HR involved when employees have complaints. Ask the sales associates periodically how their managers are doing, so you can deal with problems of ineffective managers., or when managers just don't deal with things. Get rid of the lazy employees so that the good ones just don't leave out of frustration. Check back in with employees who have been injured on the job, and may have lingering or aggravated issues and make sure to properly accommodate them. Update your sales associate job description to include may have to work 2 weeks a month removing product from the shelves, dusting product, cleaning shelves, and putting product back- not everyone wants to do that.

Look Elsewhere

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My peers were great to work with.

Cons

I would get into the cons, but I know there'll be some lame rebuttal from the company explaining how I'm wrong, my opinion is skewed, what a good company they are to work for and that they're all about their employees - so I won't even bother.

I will at least state that if you want to work for a place that's smaller and independently owned and operated, this isn't the place for you. It's corporate. It's corporate in every sense of the word and with all of the garbage and politics that go along with that.

10. Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great discount, vendor trainings are well done, that is about it.

Cons

George Town office poorly run by people who have no clue how retail works. Extremely poor upper management. HR does not take complaints seriously.

Stop hiding behind your catch phrase "assume positive intent" and start holding people at the home office as accountable as the management on the front lines.

Good company going through constant change

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are Good people to work with
    They offer Competitive pay
    They have Good benefits as well as
    Fair working conditions

Cons

Recently purchased by larger national vitamin company and quickly losing its identity and culture. Bonuses, morale and overall feel of the company has changed. New policies make the environment restrictive and overly corporate in a place that has seen success through trust and a personal approach to people.

Super Supplements Photos

Employee Appreciation Party Superstars!

+ Add Photo