Superdrug

Updated January 14, 2015
3.4

Peter Macnab

Friendly environment

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Superdrug part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Management is lovely, and other members of staff are very welcoming, very good team.
    - You get to know regular customers and build up a good relationship.
    - Staff discount in store, 25% branded products and 30% own brand products, which is great if you love makeup, like me.
    - Interview process was relatively easy, including interactions on the shop floor, like meeting the team, and active selling.
    - Also on the induction day (which is paid) you are required to fill some paper work but you are given till training THE SAME DAY! Very customer based store, and overall a brilliant company to work for.

Cons

- Hours are very unpredictable. You will work the contact hours you are given, however there is always overtime especially in busy periods. Could go from working 10 hours to 3, (part-time) however.

No advice. Excellent.

Sales Assistant

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Hounslow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Hounslow, England (UK)

I have been working at Superdrug part-time (less than an year)

Pros

amazing place to work at i have super colleagues and an amazing manager i have been working for 3 months and the experienced i have gained is like i have been working for a year. to anyone who wants to work at superdrug i will definitely advise them to join. its hard at the start but once you get the hang of it you will love it

Cons

promotion can be a headache and thats all

Long term career opportunities, friendly staff and fast store transfer.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at Superdrug full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working for Superdrug because it has helped me to develop skills that I couldn't have otherwise learnt. Before I started working here, I has little to none experience or training as it was one of my first real jobs. I had a full induction day, where I learnt how to use the tills, which are relatively easy. I also learnt good customer service skills. The tills always tell you what to do when asking customers what they require. I have enjoyed working at Superdrug so much, that I got transfered to different stores and now work for Superdrug at two branches.

Cons

I have yet to think of any.

Promotions can be a pain, but with the friendly and gueninely nice staff that we have at my stores, it flies by fast.

Love it

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Haywards Heath, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Haywards Heath, England (UK)

I have been working at Superdrug full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Treated as part of a team, ethical company, good hours, good support, good loyalty scheme, good rewards such as the percentage off and a partner card, training is okay but not too amazing, can be part of the hub to suggest things and flag up issues.

Cons

Pay, amount of questions to ask!

Calm down on the amount of questions on the till to ask and maybe a bit more training

Great place to get up the ladder fast!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Superdrug full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of movement available for people who want to manage the biggest shops. I went from a small shop to running a top100 branch within 2 years. Area managers can be hit or miss but some are exceptional, similar with regional managers. Regardless the plan the business has put in place over the last few years has really worked and saw profits saw.

Great Xmas wage budgets.

Cons

Expect as a store/area manager to work 50hours a week. Nothing new there all retail management jobs are the same.

Keep doing what your doing. Find a different method to measure results rather than PPT.

If you want to learn quickly Superdug is for you

I have been working at Superdrug as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good career prospects within retail, offer apprenticeship and excellent level of internal progression,a Distribution mainly use agency staff so does carve some of the morale out which is a shame.great benefits though with a very generous discount card. Also people very knowledgable and have moved across different functions of the business

Cons

Sometimes too much is on offer and that gets confusing!

Hated working for Superdrug :(

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Craigavon, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Craigavon, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Superdrug (more than an year)

Pros

The discount is good and the people are nice to work with. It was also exciting to see all the new makeup products arriving in store:)

Cons

I understand every retailer has targets but when you work for Superdrug you are asked to basically shove the offers down peoples throats asking unwanted questions at tills to try sell perfume etc. You are also given ridiculous unmeetable targets with no training in sales and sales techniques and then when you don't meet them it is mentioned to you and it's not fair on employees to make them feel that they have done wrong. I used to hate when I was told to sell a certain mascara to customers one night then the week after it was a different ones, that's not providing customers with a good honest service that's just Superdrug being greedy wanting sales on certain products, that should not be what it's about!! Also it may not be the same for different contracted hours but I was 8 hour contract and my shifts were very repetitive they were not changed much even though my availability was more than the two selected days on particular Monday and Thursday 5-9 every week,same shift, same people, same boring repetitive work.

I think that you should completely change your way of asking employees to meet their targets, also there should be some sort of reward for meeting targets like a motive, as when employees meet targets somehow a supervisor or member of mangement earns a bonus Completly wrong if you ask me?

Hard work but a good family feeling team to work for

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in York, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in York, England (UK)

I worked at Superdrug full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The team atmosphere in store was good, and you were recognised for your achievements

Cons

Too many promotion changes, bulletins, extra work placed on you in terms of advertising and display changes, so you had no time to really deliver the customer service end of the job.

I've been working at Superdrug part time for almost a year.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Superdrug part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for
    I received good training
    Has made me a lot more confident
    Good for a first job (my first job)

Cons

Superdrug live radio!!! Lady's voice is so annoying!
    Lose a lot of staff as they don't stay long.
    Long hours
    Get you to do pointless things
    Staff discount is the same as student discount.

The management team in my work is very poor. Change rota without telling you, lack of communication between staff and customers!! Don't give much notice (will phone you in to work 2 hours or even less before they want you in).

Long and dreadful

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at Superdrug part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a good experience but made me realise I never wanted to work there or behind a till again!

Cons

Had to stand at the till for long times, meet sales targets but no incentive or commission to do so, poor morale, unfriendly co workers.