Superdrug

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeremy Seigal

A great place for career development!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Croydon, England (UK)

ProsA friendly, fun company with clear business goals
    Excellent career progression opportunities
    Excellent training courses, both internal and external
    Motivational leaders - CEO, Directors and Managers
    A thriving retailer in a tough market
    Rewards employees with an excellent benefits package including bonus based on company and personal performance
    A business that works as a team
    An innovative business that always has new products, concepts and ideas for customers

ConsTo get a lot out of Superdrug, you need to be prepared to put a lot in. The most successful employees are the ones that have shown dedication to the business.

I don't know how staff stay with the company so long

ProsStaff discount card
    End of shift
    Days off
    Some of the staff I worked with were great.

ConsI've been working for Superdrug for 9 months. I was promoted to Team Leader within a month. I feel like I haven't been trained properly and indeed was left running a £30k a week store before being fully trained and without a support network.
    The amount of time the company wastes doing endless pointless tasks is laughable. We are told that between the hours of 10-3 we should be 100% customer facing in the 9 months I have been working for Superdrug this hasn't happened. Long serving managers are so entrenched in the Superdrug way of doing things they think all retail runs this way. It doesn't!
    You end up watching your back for the knives that will eventually end up in it. You work very hard and get grief if you do something wrong but zero praise if you do an amazing job. I have never worked for a company who allow supervisors to run the store. The branch I work in, frequently have no management in the business for days on end.
    Often short staffed and management don't leave enough cover on shop floor, leaving customers unable to find any staff members to help them.
    Staff morale is very low and most team members are unhappy.
    Team Leaders pay is poor for the work required I get 50p more than minimum wage.
    After 9 months I've had enough and I'm looking for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek advice from companies whose employees are happy. Pay your staff what they are worth for the work they do.
    Stop the endless, pointless tasks such as promo tickets being changed month after month only to put the same promotion back on!
    Train your managers to be more understanding of people and with more compassion.

Superdrug is a premises standing on favouritism, racism, gender discrimination and staff abusing.

ProsEasy to get in and staff discount on Superdrug own faulty brand.

ConsCant speak up for your rights.
    Management decide staff holiday allocation.
    Less salary as compare to other high street retailer.
    Totally non-professionalism.
    Never increased contract hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat equally everyone.
    Do not give pressure towards staff.
    Motivation.
    Communication & effective team coordination

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

long days but fun

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Liverpool, England (UK)

Prosgood staff , lots of new things each day good company

Conswould not always have time to finish all the jobs I was given , so days would not have a lunch

Discouraging environment

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Harrow, England (UK)

ProsAble to meet and greet beautiful customers and can create a conversation while at checkout

ConsAt times I was still at the shop floor an hour past my working hour because I had to finish restocking, bare in mind I was working the tills by myself aswell, with no help from other colleagues made. Only 4 hours a week! If I did something wrong I was questioned about it but when something good.. nothing

good place to work

Prossuperdrug has some good opportunities to progress and move up the career ladder. staff discount- 10% and 30% on superdrug own label products.

Conscontracted hours get cut but are expected to do more

Everyday was monotonous.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Ayr, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat team and I made a lot of friends through my time there.

Good discount.

ConsI was expected to move up to supervisor position doing more hours without any wage rise (ridiculous!) I declined no matter how much they were desperate for me to do it. To me that was classed as "using" so they could make me work all hours and didn't have to pay me extra.

Management were too highly strung and almost verging on an army sergeant. We were not even allowed to talk to other members of staff on the shop floor even if the store was empty. This became one of the main reasons i ended up leaving as you cannot expect to have a great team and enjoy your job if you have no interaction with others.

I also did the same tasks every day for 6 years. It became so monotonus that when i had a one to one with management which ended up being two-to-one! I always expressed that i try something different and was met with all the "we will try you on this and you could do this" none of it ever happened!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less stressed and a bit more laid back to your staff remember it is "superdrug" not an army camp.

Team building exercises must be more focused on. In the store I worked in it wasn't and we got in to trouble for even speaking to another member of staff.

I was discriminated

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Romford, England (UK)

ProsIt was exciting to know I was working for a successful company and I still occasionally shop there.

ConsI worked at their Upton Park store (for NVQ training) but got discriminated by the managing directors. They did not like my presentation. I was wearing a green T-Shirt and black trousers because that was the dress code. So I could not see how.
    I eventually got a position at their store in The Romford Mall. But was discriminated again because of my work speed. This was because I was on medication which can slow down work speed. They should have took this into account. The reason I did not tell them at the interview because I was not asked.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you interview new people ask if they are on medication and bear in mind this could slow down their work speed. So if there are slow don't think they are not trying.
    And don't say you are dissatisfied with someone's presentation as if they are following the dress code their should be no problem.

Hated it

Store Assistant (Former Employee) Leighton Buzzard, England (UK)

ProsNo pros to speak of. It w a s boring and pointless. I wouldn't ever wish it upon my worst enemy.

ConsThere were lots of downsides to working at superdrug. lots and lots of downsides indeed. No upsides unfortunately.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell your shares in the company now while you still can. I would then start your own shop which sells bottled drinks and condoms.

It's not good, but I suppose it's retail

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Proseasy to get job, fairly flexible on hours, easy part-time job

ConsStaff are just a number, constantly understaffed, make you work hard and impossible amount of tasks sometimes, they expect you to be great with customers when you are struggling with tasks that you will be told off if you don't complete.
    God forbid if you get sick and tell them you cannot come to work. Prepare for investigation.
    If you want to get into management, forget about your life, you will not have time for your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive staff some incentive to perform better, instead of just pushing them. You don't get motivation that way, and you don't get the best out of people.

Worked for Superdrug? Contribute to the Community!