Superdrug Reviews

Updated August 13, 2014
3.1

Jeremy Seigal

Recently joined in a management position at Head Office in Croydon

Current Employee - Manager  in  Croydon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Croydon, England (UK)

I have been working at Superdrug full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salaries are better than market rates for the right people, excellent benefits and a real work-life balance.

Flexible working is encouraged, fantastic people to work with and clear succession planning is evident. In the short time I have been here, I have made some good friends and really looking forward to a very long term career with Superdrug.

I'm not one to name and compare companies, but having previously worked for 2 out of the 4 BIG 4, I would choose Superdrug anytime, people here are hardworking and dedicated to their jobs.

Superdrug, A GREAT company to work for...

Cons

I am yet to find one...

Global transformation program to implement a single footprint across all AS Watson Group of Companies...

1 Process 1 System...

Sales Assistant 2011 to 2012

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Superdrug part-time for less than a year

Pros

- The pay was slightly above minimum wage

Cons

- poor shifts (regularly given 3 hour shifts)
    - Rotas only going up the day before the new week starts
    - Poor management
    - Regional and Area Managers had very poor knowledge of store and made staff do the most pointless tasks
    - No information pass down, staff do things because they are told to without knowing why.
    - Regular thief from customers
    - Staff discount is the same as student discount

Deal with the following...

- poor shifts (regularly given 3 hour shifts)
    - Rotas only going up the day before the new week starts
    - Poor management
    - Regular thief from customers
    - Staff discount is the same as student discount

No Work/Life Balance

I have been working at Superdrug full-time

Pros

Thorough training, getting first chance at stock reduced close to it's sell by date.

Cons

In retail it is generally accepted that you work extra hours without getting paid, cashing up and cleaning, in early to get the tills and store ready etc. In Superdrug the expectation is that you will work extra hours without getting paid, to do promotions, cover sickness, cover other stores, as well as cashing up, in early etc. Expect to work 50+ hours a week. If you discuss this with senior management, you are told that you're not working the staff hours budget correctly, (even though this happens in all stores).
    Audit KPIs are changed all the time and if you think you have finally got a handle on it, at the next audit you find that the goalposts have moved and you are close to or failed the Audit. The only way to get round this is to go into the shop early (unpaid) and ensure all your paperwork is correct and change anything incorrect ie fudging the figures.
    Even though you are told you are not allowed to be in the shop yourself for security reasons ie theft. You can't win.
    Promotions are a nightmare. You get sent so much POS, you end up throwing most of it away before even displaying it, as there isn't a correct database for how much POS each store needs, so you get sent more than you require and the POS that you do need doesn't arrive. You have to check it all off, even the stuff you don't need.
    Mystery shops:, due to the lack of staff on the shopfloor, it's a struggle getting a high score on the Mystery Shop.
    Lack of staff, more staff on the floor, more sales.

If you are expecting your management teams to work extra hours to put promos in place, have good Mystery Shop results, have a clean and tidy store, keep the Audit results up, have the back areas and stock rooms in good order etc the wage needs to be higher than the average that you pay. If you employ someone one on £18k a year working 50 hours a week and not getting paid for the full 50, they are then working for a figure close to £14,500 a year. That is not motivating at all.
    The people that you employ need a work/life balance, happier people mean more motivated people.
    Stop sending in so much POS that is not required. Not only are the staff handling it twice(wasting time), but it's hitting the bottom line , and what about the environmental impact, when you can fill a whole cage of POS that you don't need?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I don't know how staff stay with the company so long

I have been working at Superdrug

Pros

Staff discount card
    End of shift
    Days off
    Some of the staff I worked with were great.

Cons

I've been working for Superdrug for 9 months. I was promoted to Team Leader within a month. I feel like I haven't been trained properly and indeed was left running a £30k a week store before being fully trained and without a support network.
    The amount of time the company wastes doing endless pointless tasks is laughable. We are told that between the hours of 10-3 we should be 100% customer facing in the 9 months I have been working for Superdrug this hasn't happened. Long serving managers are so entrenched in the Superdrug way of doing things they think all retail runs this way. It doesn't!
    You end up watching your back for the knives that will eventually end up in it. You work very hard and get grief if you do something wrong but zero praise if you do an amazing job. I have never worked for a company who allow supervisors to run the store. The branch I work in, frequently have no management in the business for days on end.
    Often short staffed and management don't leave enough cover on shop floor, leaving customers unable to find any staff members to help them.
    Staff morale is very low and most team members are unhappy.
    Team Leaders pay is poor for the work required I get 50p more than minimum wage.
    After 9 months I've had enough and I'm looking for another job.

Seek advice from companies whose employees are happy. Pay your staff what they are worth for the work they do.
    Stop the endless, pointless tasks such as promo tickets being changed month after month only to put the same promotion back on!
    Train your managers to be more understanding of people and with more compassion.

Superdrug is a premises standing on favouritism, racism, gender discrimination and staff abusing.

I have been working at Superdrug

Pros

Easy to get in and staff discount on Superdrug own faulty brand.

Cons

Cant speak up for your rights.
    Management decide staff holiday allocation.
    Less salary as compare to other high street retailer.
    Totally non-professionalism.
    Never increased contract hours.

Treat equally everyone.
    Do not give pressure towards staff.
    Motivation.
    Communication & effective team coordination

A great place for career development!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Croydon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Croydon, England (UK)

I have been working at Superdrug full-time for more than a year

Pros

A friendly, fun company with clear business goals
    Excellent career progression opportunities
    Excellent training courses, both internal and external
    Motivational leaders - CEO, Directors and Managers
    A thriving retailer in a tough market
    Rewards employees with an excellent benefits package including bonus based on company and personal performance
    A business that works as a team
    An innovative business that always has new products, concepts and ideas for customers

Cons

To get a lot out of Superdrug, you need to be prepared to put a lot in. The most successful employees are the ones that have shown dedication to the business.

long days but fun

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at Superdrug full-time for more than a year

Pros

good staff , lots of new things each day good company

Cons

would not always have time to finish all the jobs I was given , so days would not have a lunch

Discouraging environment

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Harrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Harrow, England (UK)

I worked at Superdrug part-time for less than a year

Pros

Able to meet and greet beautiful customers and can create a conversation while at checkout

Cons

At times I was still at the shop floor an hour past my working hour because I had to finish restocking, bare in mind I was working the tills by myself aswell, with no help from other colleagues made. Only 4 hours a week! If I did something wrong I was questioned about it but when something good.. nothing

good place to work

I have been working at Superdrug

Pros

superdrug has some good opportunities to progress and move up the career ladder. staff discount- 10% and 30% on superdrug own label products.

Cons

contracted hours get cut but are expected to do more

Everyday was monotonous.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Ayr, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Ayr, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Superdrug part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team and I made a lot of friends through my time there.

Good discount.

Cons

I was expected to move up to supervisor position doing more hours without any wage rise (ridiculous!) I declined no matter how much they were desperate for me to do it. To me that was classed as "using" so they could make me work all hours and didn't have to pay me extra.

Management were too highly strung and almost verging on an army sergeant. We were not even allowed to talk to other members of staff on the shop floor even if the store was empty. This became one of the main reasons i ended up leaving as you cannot expect to have a great team and enjoy your job if you have no interaction with others.

I also did the same tasks every day for 6 years. It became so monotonus that when i had a one to one with management which ended up being two-to-one! I always expressed that i try something different and was met with all the "we will try you on this and you could do this" none of it ever happened!

Be less stressed and a bit more laid back to your staff remember it is "superdrug" not an army camp.

Team building exercises must be more focused on. In the store I worked in it wasn't and we got in to trouble for even speaking to another member of staff.

Worked for Superdrug? Contribute to the Community!