Superior Ambulance Reviews

1. Pretty happy Paramedic

Current Employee - Paramedic in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for superior for a few years now. I started here as a basic, now a medic. The pay is the best pro. For those saying it's awful, good luck finding a pay like this elsewhere in the central to northern Illinois area. Especially for a private. I work in lake county, have worked in Schaumburg and it's a very comfortable position. People who slander the company may be speaking from heartache due to a negative experience. The world is full of shotty companies. The world is full of evil people. For the amount of downtime we have there is no reason to feel like our pay is far from accurate. There's free time to study, do homework, or work on other things. the schedule is ok. Napping on the job isn't frowned upon during downtime. (Who doesn't love that) the calls up here range from easy to terrible. But that's what we're here for. We get into this field knowing its busy, difficult, emotional, and easy to be burnt out. Pretty sure that warning is blurted out in basic class. Superior is very forthcoming with enhancing your career. They have starting helping pay for college tuitions. Which is great. They don't condone you for using them as a stepping stone to a fire department or nursing. They are usually friendly wherever you go. It's difficult to find partners you work great with. But once you do the job is a piece of cake. If you plan on being a lifer here you won't enjoy the pay. It's not ideal long term.

Cons

Management. Our station has gone through more than six managers since I started a few years ago. Half that time there was no manager at all. Our current manager is lazy, childish, and leaves the station an absolute mess. He shows up at noon if he even shows up to the station at all. A few of us employees at the station take a lot of time out of our shift to clean up after everyone and never get recognized for it. Stock room is a mess and it's hard to find things you need. Oxygen never gets delivered before the old ones are empty. Monitors need calibrating and it's never been done. The current manager seems to be careless and does things last minute. Not reliable at all. You have to wait months for equipment. If you want anything you need to call regional. My old manager at Schaumburg was great though. I feel superior had passed up other people who would have been great managers and very efficient for this station. It's a train wreck. Dispatch could lighten up a bit.

Advice to Management

Change it. I wish regional managers would do more evaluations on management to make sure they are there to stay and they are efficient. It's not easy to run a company when someone doesn't want to actually do it.

Keep your head up...

Current Employee - Medic in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Medic in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at Superior Ambulance

Pros

-You'll get hours and even overtime. -They're trying everything they possibly can to make the employees happy right now, enjoy it now before it's gone. -Bonuses for bringing in new medics and emts. -Some of the management is great, you actually feel like they care about you. -Mr. Hill (owner) is a very nice man. It's upsetting that he isn't more actively involved with the employees. You see him every once in a while walking around but I think he needs to be more involved in the decision making.

Cons

-Broken promises. They change things all of the time. First you have a bonus, then you don't. Here's another type of bonus, whoops now it's gone. Here's a bonus that looks like we wrote up the idea while we were wasted, can't figure out why it doesn't work. -They're trying everything possible to make the employees happy right now. But we know it will end in a month and everything will go back to how it was previous. -Bonuses for bringing in new medics and emts, if you can actually get it because they make it almost impossible. -You can never get ahold of scheduling, when you do they forget what you talked about and never submit the request, then blame it all on you saying you never called.

Advice to Management

JUST DO YOUR JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be there for your employees and actually listen. Don't blow employees off when they talk to you. We can tell you're not even paying attention to us and acting like we're wasting your time. Your job is to give us the time of day, usually that time includes eye rolling or telling us you're too busy. You want to know why we're so damn unhappy? Look at the management staff. You treat us like another number. Do you even know my name? title? you only know my birthday because it's posted in the elevator. Management needs to get it together, some of the station managers are just plain sad. Treat their employees like crap yet get angry when people respond with a negative attitude.

3. EMT-B

I worked at Superior Ambulance

Pros

Loved the freedom to drive all over the chicago-land area.

Cons

Terrible pay. It has improved since I was there from $9 to $11 I believe, but it is still terrible pay for the work you do and the money you make the company.

Advice to Management

Stop feeding your employees lies about how you can't afford to pay them better. You can. It's insulting to receive the payment we get for the amount of money we make every call.

RUN!

I worked at Superior Ambulance

Pros

The employees are very nice, management and execs another story.

Cons

favoritism to the max. If you are not Bff's with VP's and Pres. you are on the "hit list" get ready to be thrown under the bus like thousands before you. What a way to run a company-NOT!

Advice to Management

Get new ones

Awful place to work. Embarrassment to EMS.

Current Employee - Paramedic
    Current Employee - Paramedic

I have been working at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of overtime. Co-workers can be great.

Cons

Place is a revolving door. Very high turnover rate. Superior only does transfers and does not do 911. Management is a joke. Medics are very poorly trained and couldn't run a 911 call if their life depended on it. Now I know why other ambulance services look at Superior in the field and laugh. Place has been under investigation several times for Medicare/ Medicaid fraud.

Advice to Management

Bring professionalism to the workplace and stop promoting all the white trashy girls you think are attractive. There is a reason you can only get hospital contracts and not 911/ municipality contracts. Get off your high horse and realize they you will never truly be in the business of saving lives.

Absolutely the worst employer(ambulance&medicar)

Former Employee - EMT-B in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Semi professional environment, looks good on your resume,experience to use towards the health care industry

Cons

Give up on getting home on time. They have a mandatory 2 hour hold over. You'll work holidays, your birthday, awful 401k & benefits,favoritism runs rampant, low wages, irregularities with policies and seniority

Advice to Management

Get a union involved since you're unable to follow your own policies.

8. EMT-B

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You only work with a set partner most of the time, so you are your own manager. Being part of EMS is gratifying. PLENTY of overtime. Easy scheduling. Easy to give away your shift to someone when you are in need of a day off.

Cons

It took 3years to get a pay raise of .35cents. Maybe this will change in the future, but i am not holding my breath. EMS simply isn't a high paying field unless you work for the 911 city departments. Also, we use to get a $5 paperwork bonus for every call assuming it was filled out correctly. They took that away from us, and didnt really honor that to perfection when we did have it. Some employees didnt get their bonuses, and even had to call headquarters to have them fix it.

Advice to Management

They already know what they need to. We believe they are in a position to compensate their staff a little more than jsut paying them enough to stay

Awful Place to Work

Current Employee - EMT-PARAMEDIC
    Current Employee - EMT-PARAMEDIC

I have been working at Superior Ambulance

Pros

really no pros to working here. pay is decent, however call bonus was taken away over a year ago. only plus is that they offer 24 hour shifts that work with my schedule.

Cons

-employees are treated like a number -partners can be hit or miss -stations aren't taken care of (by employees or management) -management has NO idea what they're doing -if you need anything fixed, good luck, it probably won't get done

Advice to Management

-take better care of your employees -lose the tie. seriously, you think it looks good, but patients/family/other ambulance companies think it looks like a joke -bring back the call bonus -hire people that know what they're doing -hire managers that have a clue, instead of the people that you know will be your yes man

10. I would avoid working in Account Receivables.

I worked at Superior Ambulance

Pros

The pay was fair. Plenty of overtime if you meet production standards.

Cons

Upper management treats staff terrible! Non realistic expectations. Their Director came from a company that went bankrupt, clearly they do not care about their image.

Advice to Management

Look at what really happens there. Why do you think there has been so much turnaround?

Traumatizing

Former Employee - EMT-B
    Former Employee - EMT-B

I worked at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Most of their EMTs and Paramedics are good people to work with. - Flexible scheduling - CE opportunities - There was a good onboarding process when I joined, but to my knowledge it has been eliminated or severely reduced in scope.

Cons

- Upper management is rife with favoritism, sexism, and general unprofessionalism. Corporate headquarters feels like a high school cafeteria, wholly due to and reinforced by the behavior of senior staff. There is zero leadership and zero attention paid to employee feedback and concerns. - Compensation is on par with working at McDonalds. - Company refuses to pay uniform supplier, so good luck getting any use out of your uniform balance. - Management has, at least once during my employment, cut pay for all EMTs and Paramedics without any advanced notice. Everyone literally received an email along the lines of, "We've heard a lot of dissatisfaction with the current bonus system, so effective immediately we are suspending all bonuses." It was extremely unprofessional and worded very much like they thought they were doing us a favor by cutting our pay. It absolutely obliterated what little employee moral anyone had. - Ambulance fleet is old and in disrepair, new ambulances are an unreliable, top-heavy Mercedes model. (Which means they're even more expensive and less-likely to be repaired when needed.) - Equipment problems are ignored and crews are told to "deal with it" (to quote the general regional manager), regardless of how much it compromised employee and patient safety.

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring that the vast majority of your employees view you with utter extreme contempt, and start doing something to fix it. Make them feel valuable through actions instead of empty words. Most of all, put their and their patients' safety above dollar signs! Remember why you got into the emergency medical industry; if it was to help people, you are currently failing miserably on all fronts.

RSS Feed </> Embed