Superior Ambulance

www.superiorambulance.com

Superior Ambulance Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

David B. Hill III

excellent company with good opportunity to further career.

Paramedic (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGood pay
     Great management.
    911 rescue experience
    I have had no problems with scheduling or continuing education. They have good health benefits and care about their employees

ConsI have found no mentionable cons despite having to wear a tie; which can and does interfere with patient care.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has been great

Unbalanced. Noledership.

ProsAs of Now there are no Pros

ConsFrom the top down needed is someone who really knows what they are doing.

If you want to work for a cracked and be constantly thrown under the bus, this job is for you!

Administration (Former Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsFree parking, free coffee sometimes, free annual lunch

ConsNepotism, bad pay, no real management to look up to, everyone I s sleeping with everyone and it is encouraged to have relationships with your co workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The word "potential" is thrown around so losely around here.

IMC Driver (Former Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsI honestly can not think of a single positive reason to continue working here. Other than your direct supervisor might be a little more easy going than most.

ConsSalaries are a joke at best, was minimum wage for well over a year before I left. Information definitely is not shared between offices, and the cars themselves were poorly managed. It was obivious they didn't care and would stick you in anything that would start. Get ready for long hours and under apperciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency and transparency would be nice when working for a company. They were selling off parts of the property before I left, I'm not even sure how much of it is left.

Pay was okay but the BS put up with to get it was horrible.

Paramedic (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGood money if you had the experience.

ConsExtremely poor management. Upper management had no clue how to talk to employees. They are all a bunch of hot heads who don't take the time to get a full story before making rash decisions. Dispatch has no clue what they are doing criss-crossing rigs for scheduled pick ups. The company as a whole is a cluster of mismanaged garbage.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to listen to your employees. If they are constantly telling you something is wrong, you may want to listen.

Dont care about their employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA paycheck, a paycheck, a paycheck

ConsYou name it, they do i tpoorly

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a business degree or management degree. Getting a medic license doesn't qualify you to make serious financial or management decisions

No direction, reactive, poor planning, good for resume.

Paramedic (Former Employee) Lyons, IL

ProsLots of opportunities, decent pay, good station managers. If you are looking to improve your resume, you will find this place is quite handy. Hard work is usually rewarded, but good-ole-boy club is strong as you go up.

ConsThe company has no strong direction, executives have poor understanding of workforce and market. Very poor planning on most fronts. Unprofessional and untrustworthy executive management. Lots of failure to launch ideas and programs that fail due to poor coordination and planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace executive management, more direct involvement by President.

Don't be sold by the pretty building

EMT-B (Current Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsThey have a good reputation with anyone who doesn't actually know anything about them.

ConsI left my old EMT job because I though Superior would have higher standards of professionalism and run more smoothly. What I thought would be a higher standard turned out to be frivolous rule after frivolous rule. They blindly cling to their traditions for dear life and pretty much fire anyone who steps out of line in any way. Now I understand why all the other companies look at Superior and laugh in the field.

In addition to crappy pay, not so great hours, and cameras in your face during your shift, it just sucks going to work every day having to worry about getting fired for whatever ridiculous reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only people who care about the tie is you. This isn't 40 years ago. You are successful because you are the biggest and you are the biggest because you got here first. It has nothing to do with you being the best because you aren't. Take a second to stop enjoying the smell of your own farts and maybe you'd see that.

Depends on what you do with it...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you want to be a medic... this may be a good stepping stone to fire departments and city jobs. Some great people work there.

Cons1.) Low wages and little room for growth.

2.) They fire people for dumb reasons.

3.) Obesity problem.

4.) Rely on The State of Illinois for Medicaid payments etc... When the State doesn't pay, you end up getting your hours cut...so we are told.

If you aren't using the company as a stepping stone, then please find another employer because this place is a black hole trap. Stepping stone but not a career, seriously. Heed my advice please.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow do you manage something that relies on State payments for potential?

Avoid this company if you have any self respect.

EMT-B (Former Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsIf lucky, one of your partners would be cool and fun to work with. Since you were stuck in a cab with them all day, your happiness basically depended on your relationship with your partner.
    Furthermore, not having a boss hovering over you during your shift is a plus.

ConsInconsistent work hours: I was a full time employee, but would often get cut only a couple hours into my shift. Many weeks I would only work 10-15 hours because of a "lack of work." In reality, the company was too cheap to keep all of their full time employees working and would instead hire part-timers to fill in.
    Another con would be that many patients are over 400 lbs. This is fine when you have ramps and push bars so that you don't have to lift these people by brute force alone. But the company was too cheap to buy vital equipment, leaving employees to suffer through back injuries.
    Lastly, the pay is horrible for such a stressful and physical job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe thankful for your employees. They are the reason you get to sit on your butts and sip coffee.

Worked for Superior Ambulance? Contribute to the Community!