Superior Essex

Be The First To
Add Photos

Justin F. Deedy Jr.

Good people, bad leadership

Current Employee (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsPeople are nice to work with. Most people really care about doing a good job.

ConsVery small raises and no bonus program for typical employees. Employee benefits keep getting more and more expensive. Managers don't seem to care about employees and never give positive feedback or encouragement. Haven't seen the Corporate management in years. They just hide on the 6th floor and avoid talking to the people doing the work. We have no official idea how the business is doing, but there are lots of rumors...

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere are you? Maybe you think that no news is good news, but we would like to know what is going on.

Good place to begin a career

Contractor (Former Employee)
    Franklin, TN

ProsMiddle management is very easy to talk with.

ConsUpper management is not easy to talk with.

Sometimes you need to try different ways to make the lemonade. (applies to Communications and Energy division)

Atlanta, GA

Pros- Good people, no infighting
    - Working to improve the culture with career training, health and recognition programs
    - Decent benefits package, gym membership, 401k matching, healthcare (everything's expensive, don't be a sourpuss as you could have none)
    - Expanding product offerings to grow the company

Cons- Conservative company with limited advancement opportunities
    - Communication silos between departments, plants and divisions
    - Expanding product offerings but not always willing to put the right and necessary people in place to support growth

Advice to Senior Management- Spend money to make money - grow your talent/people pool, improve your IT/back-end systems that wil provide long-term payoffs
    - Management to concentrate on the big picture strategies and trust your people to get you there...let "accountability" be the deciding factor in employee retention
    - Break the mold and try different things to succeed! Assess company results, processes, wins/losses. Identify areas for improvement and implement a task force to make it happen.
    - Spend more time and resources innovating
    - Listen to feedback and take action
    - Make changes to truly be the "customer service oriented company" you strive to be on all levels

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging & Exciting.

ProsLots of variety in work.

ConsSkimpy of raises and fail to recognize accomplishments.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more thankful for employees and their contributions. Be more generous in raises.

Great job but a bad career

Distribution (Current Employee)
    Fort Wayne, IN

ProsI work with great people that are fun and easy to get along with. It is easy to maintain a work and life balance.

ConsAll manager and director positions are filled with outside people. I can't remember the last time someone got promoted. This creates complacency and apathy about career development and results in mediocre job performance. It's a great place to work. You just better like the job you have. You will be doing it for a very long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your employees. Train them to take on bigger positions. Nobody should be in the same job for 20 years.

Not bad not great

ProsBenefit wise they are above average and career advancement is slow and guarded

Consupper management is average and some are great some are challenging but name a place it does not happen this way.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour workers are your asset, respect them as such.

I loved working for Essex ..Vince Muntzinger was my boss at the time..loved working for him.

Inventory Control (Former Employee)
    Fort Wayne, IN

ProsGood atmosphere...friendly...totally loved my job.. inventory control.

ConsNo cons...just have a good attitude where ever you work and do the best job you can. That makes if smooth for everyone.

Regional Sales Manager

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosgood mix of products. Efficient at manufacturing of cable and fiber products.

ConsLarge company but seems that it is run by a small group. Limited input from field.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more willing to talk and listen to employees.

communications division

Atlanta, GA

ProsYou won't be held accountable for doing a bad job or no work at all. Nobody pays attention to what anybody is doing.

ConsYou'll never make any money or get a promotion. Never give raises more than 2%. Executive management presumes omnipotent knowledge of everything so you never have to make a decision (kind of a perk) as they already know all the answers, right or wrong. Collection of C players resolved not to do any better than be C players, lead by C players. Sad

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the story of The Emperor's New Clothes. Your people don't care because they know you don't care, it shows in everything you do.

Good old boy network; promotions based on friendships, not skills

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe company was acquired by LS Cable.

ConsLS Cable didn't clean house like most companies after the takeover.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't whitewash employee satisfaction surveys when they tell you problems exist with morale. Finding positive number makes yourself look good on paper but doesn't create an environment where employees feel they have to do more than the minimum.

Worked for Superior Essex? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Superior Essex reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Superior Essex CEO Justin F. Deedy Jr. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Superior Essex employees.