Superior Essex

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015
2.9

Justin F. Deedy Jr.

A time of transition for the company

Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Superior Essex

Pros

Generally an informal work environment with a (mostly) open door management policy.

Benefits are reasonably good but salary seems go be a bit on the low side for the market, people tend to stay because sometimes the devil you know is easier than taking a chance elsewhere.

Generally if you are willing to do your job there won't be an overwhelming amount of stress.

Cons

Communications division seems too closely tied to a product line well on its way to obsolence; copper communications cable. New product lines seem to be on a "us too" basis in many instances rather than attempting to anticipate future market needs.

Overall product quality is great - but who wants go be known for making the best buggy whips?

Product development resources are allocated oddly - $$$ was spent developing a line for fire & security alarm cables in a market filled with numerous market competitors. Again, product quality is great but why use manufacturing & development resources to bring out a prouct line in a mature industry segment with well-established competition to try & sell a product line at what is essentially a zero margin with virtually no chance of significant growth or profitibility in the future?

Production managment, inventory, & sales decisions often seem to be made.in a vacuum; back office technology is lacking with the sales support group often left guessing as.to market strategy. IT supports a hodgepodge production, inventory, sales managment, and accounting system that (at best) is antiquated and that in many instances is an impediment to properly servicing our customers.

A brain drain is underway at the company - layoffs at the product development center and recent retirments of experienced employees have hurt, many employees in a variety of functions openly admit they are marking time until their own retirement and/or speculate about the terms of the "package" to be offered with an anticipated next round of layoffs.

Give your employees the tools they need to do service their customers; hire & train good people and trust their instincts.

Plant closing

I worked at Superior Essex

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits,good place to work.

Cons

plant closing after 30 years

Plant Manager

Former Employee - Plant Manager
    Former Employee - Plant Manager

I worked at Superior Essex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great leadership and peers

Cons

Very difficult to implement changes, very conservative approaches

Needs new talent on board and needs to plan for existing talent development

Great people, poor leadership.

Former Employee - Accountant in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Accountant in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Superior Essex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers that are always willing to be helpful. Middle managers were great. I was pushed and given autonomy to make improvements where necessary and I was promoted based merit.

Cons

Senior management does not listen to employees. You are put down for not meeting targets but no advice/help is given to actually help out. There is no "future". There is simply maintaining the status quo. If you aren't fortunate to have a good manager or team. I would suggest looking elsewhere for growth. Once management has decided you aren't promotable you will be stuck. I have seen this happen to several people.

Reach beyond the status quo, listen to your workers, praise and support your staff. Good management isn't a one way street.

Stay Away. This is a failing company

I have been working at Superior Essex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In general there are good people at Superior Essex. It's a decent enough workplace environment, most everyone gets along well without a lot of the backstabbing etc. that exists at some companies.

Cons

Not much job security. Superior Essex is currently owned by LS Cable which is a large Korean corporation. Prior to that it was owned by an investment banker who took Superior Essex through bankruptcy, which resulted in plant closings and loss of jobs. LS has been in the picture for 5 or 6 years and has always set unrealistically high financial goals. They recently decided that the way to boost profits was to close yet another plant, and additionally laid off a significant number of people from their US corporate headquarters as well as the R&D center. At least this time around the employees weren't alone in the unemployment lines - the CEO and CFO were fired as well

Superior Essex needs to get up to date on their vacation policy, they offer less than most other companies. Their pay is lagging as well, very few raises recently because of corporate profit goals not being met. Furthermore, Superior Essex isn't much of a leader in their product offerings, they're more concerned with making the cheapest products possible instead of looking at how to make the best products.

Many employees have suffered because of bad management decisions. Realize that your decisions affect your employees.

Just okay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Superior Essex full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People always make a bad work environment tolerable. The people here are great. And honestly the industry is exciting and unique.

Cons

Good ole boy culture, them vs. us environment. Management is unapproachable and overall doesn't seem to want to genuinely engage in innovation. Team... Who? It's no ones job, ever. Creativity is like the plague in this place.

It's the 21st century. Bueracracy is a thing of the past. Get to know the people outside of your fancy offices. Give power to your people and then allow them to do their jobs.

Company struggling financially. Layoffs and plant closings have been implemented with more to follow.

I have been working at Superior Essex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a decent place to work. Comfortable work environment. Low-key atmosphere.
    Most people are thoughtful and hardworking and care about doing a good job.
    Decent health benefits and matching 401k (4% max).

Cons

Lacking leadership from upper management i.e. CEO and CFO asked to set down due to poor company performance.
    Senior management and directors primarily are all men and members of the 'good old boys club'.
    Very little room for advancement unless you're in the 'inner circle'. Little or no raises or bonuses.
    Management makes very poor decisions regarding new product development. Always playing catch-up with the other competitors. Very little marketing support when introducing and promoting new products.
    Do not dedicate enough resources, capital and personnel, to implement new marketing strategies (non-existent).

Company need to hold senior managers and directors accountable for poor performance in their respective divisions. They need get rid of managers and directors who have consistently been under-performing and need to stop protecting them. Management need to focus on the 'Big Picture' and implement winning sales and marketing strategies that will allow the company to succeed moving forward. Hire 'forwarding thinking' people that will bring new ideas and strategies into a company that has become complacent and uncompetitive.

Typical corporate BS

I have been working at Superior Essex

Pros

Freedom to take on your own projects

Cons

Corporate BS mixed with good ole boy network

Secure but not going anywhere

I have been working at Superior Essex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some good people, a lot of very intelligent employees and pretty stable job security.

Cons

It really depends on what group you work in but in my case, there is basically no advancement. I enjoy what I do and strive to advance my career and I will take the next step, just not here. "People first" really isn't applicable here which is a shame considering how many talented employees are there. It has the potential to be an awesome company to work for but instead it's just "ok" and something that pays the bills. Eventually people realize this and leave the company for jobs that actually progress their career. There's really no incentive to do well because only the company and senior management reap the rewards of this effort. But if you're looking for a cushy job to stay in the rest of your career (in the same position), this is your place.

Give your good performers a chance to advance. Your confidence in our ability would go a long way in motivating us to do even better. Right now, we work here because it's our job. We could work here because we WANT to. And that's a totally different environment. The proof is out there in other successful companies....so this isn't a secret. Of course all of this will fall on deaf ears but that's the way it goes. What a shame.

Technology driven and customer focused.

I have been working at Superior Essex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training is very fast paced and technical. The special terms and techniques take years to master but the people are always willing to help you understand the products and the methods.
    Most people wear multiple tiles and cross traditional boundaries of quality, production, management and other.
    The unions are well run and seem to want to grow with the business, not at all like the UAW stuff I have dealt with.
    Many areas of grow but a flat organization overall.

Cons

The Company is very lean and work-life balance can get skewed very easily. Workaholics will be destroyed here.
    Pay is also very lean. Does not pay well for skills and talents, causing excessive turnover.

Pay attention to pay and benefits before the brain-drain gets away from you.
    Get out to the manufacturing site more than once a year to talk to people and say thank you, they earn your pay check.