Superior Propane

Greg McCamus

Sales

Current Employee - Sales in Montoursville, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Montoursville, PA

I have been working at Superior Propane full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Growing Company, Managment team wants to help in growing customers, support for sales team is incredible.

Cons

Busy season is late fall, early winter- much of the workload is pushed into a few short months, mainly due to customers not thinking ahead, or waiting until the last minute to need fuel.

Continue push for growth, it makes the job exciting. Support the local offices and teams with some brand recognition so customers know who we are.

Organization in flux with high turnover, minimal opportunity for career development and poor employee morale.

I worked at Superior Propane full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- National organization
    - Dedicated front line employees
    - Long history in Canada
    - Management team beginning to take shape
    - Energy and logistics industry

Cons

- Lack of development opportunities
    - Lack of support from Senior Management Team
    - Declining quality of new employees
    - Very high turnover

- Focus less on hiring senior management and develop functions from the ground up
    - Encourage employee development
    - Work on talent retention

over the past 30 years I have not been paid what I am worth

Current Employee - Plant Manager in Fort Erie, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Plant Manager in Fort Erie, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Superior Propane full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good job I enjoy working there

Cons

I should be compensated for years of service

SHOULD BE RATED AS A LEAST DESIRABLE COMPANY TO WORK FOR.

Former Employee - Sales in Delta, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales in Delta, BC (Canada)

I worked at Superior Propane

Pros

Credit where credit is due. Credit goes to poor management, Poor non existent training, poor commission structure, poor customer service. Compensation is reasonable however not worth the headaches and disorganization. You can't buy your way out of the problems.

Cons

Many Cons with this company. I mean as they should be convicts in the way the business is run and the way employees are treated. This is not a career or even a long term job. minimal opportunity for growth. Front line employees do a great job with the tools they have. Unfortunately management screws everything up and are in a fog.

It is a never ending nightmare and gong show. It is truly amazing how this company operates. This is a revolving door of employees leaving and serious moral problems. Just about every employee I interacted with while working with Superior Propane was at odds with the company. Very toxic environment!

Stop treating your employees like garbage and take responsibility for your actions. Increase Safety for drivers and don't blame everyone except yourselves for the problems at Superior Propane. Better advice to management is do everyone a favor and retire or find somewhere else to work.

Sales want the business to grow. Everyone else seems to have a reason not to.

I have been working at Superior Propane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sales training, Great pay, nice allowance

Cons

Too many legacy people with old mindsets.

Encourage all employees that everyone is a customer. Even other employees! Do away with the automated 1800 number. No one wants to speak to a machine. Admit the centralization plan is a failure and service customers from the local markets to get back to Superior Service. Focus marketing dollars on areas of potential growth, not just the one shrinking vertical.

Do your research before working for this company. I would not recommend to anyone.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Delta, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Delta, BC (Canada)

I worked at Superior Propane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can't really answer this question as it was a bad thankfully short experience working for this company. All I can offer is "Unbelievable" . You decide what "Unbelievable" means. On a positive note the non management staff I worked with on the front line were excellent. As far as as this company is concerned, the Pro is It has been a blessing that I am no longer there.

Cons

Too many managers that are disconnected, in conflict with each other and not on the same page. This causes frustration and stress trying to do your job. There doesn't seem to be any common ground or agreement amongst the Sales Manager, Market Manager, or regional Manager. Right from the Western Sales Manager right up to the President of the company. Everyone seem to drift day to day without any rudder and runs around being reactive to most projects. There is extreme lack of planning, insight or common sense. One Manager will say "Yes" the other "No" based on ego rather than getting the job done. Its like one went to the market, the other stayed home one had roast beef and the other had none. We are not exactly who went wee wee wee all the way home but that is where you should stay rather than wasting your valuable time with this company. "Unbelievable"

You are leaving the door open for your competitors to gain ground. The flip flop style of management is not appropriate change management for employees who are on your front lines. Conflict between managers, regions, and employees is not helping your business or recruitment efforts. Prior to accepting my position I couldn't find any employee past or present that had good tings to say about SP. Despite this I was able to find out for myself and am now looking for another position.

My experience at Superior Propane was extremely challenging and a bad experience

Former Employee - Account Manager Outside Sales in Prince George, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Account Manager Outside Sales in Prince George, BC (Canada)

I worked at Superior Propane full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Although the wage was just ok it wasn't stellar or anything to write home about.

Cons

This is without a doubt the worst company I have ever worked for. I would not recommend this as a career move for anyone. Zero training, Marginal Management and a bully mentality with marginal support. Huge frustrations by many employees and highly dysfunctional management.

You are doing a poor job keeping people and respecting your work force. These are the people on your front lines which have no voice. Keep doing what you are doing and you will make it easy for your competitors to gain ground on your business.

Stay clear - it's a nightmare!

Former Employee - Sales in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I worked at Superior Propane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Slightly better than being unemployed.

Cons

Superior Propane's business model is outdated and the company is totally dysfunctional. There is no strategic leadership and the management team is grossly incompetent. There is widespread frustration and resentment across the organization, exacerbated by an ineffective and powerless HR department. Employee turnover is high, with the most talented people leaving. There's a lack of resources, the IT systems are antiquated, and antagonistic attitudes inhibit interdepartmental coordination/cooperation. Customers are leaving in droves, and for good reason. The product is overpriced, no value-add is provided by sales/customer service and there is absolutely no concern for customer satisfaction.

Learn the fundamentals of how to manage a business.

Not a good employer

Current Employee - Utility in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Utility in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Superior Propane full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good RRSP plan, ok salary, corporate events, field staff is very qualified, diverse product and several opportunities to learn

Cons

Irresponsible HR department that ignores serious complaints (the most serious) and refuses to take action, managers unaccountable, truly a company that considers employees as nothing more than numbers

Practice what you preach, don't be afraid to make changes

Very poor structure and a big game of house

Former Employee - TSR in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - TSR in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Superior Propane full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- My market Manager was good but had less than 2 years experience
    - Pay was good

Cons

- Moral at the office was disgusting
    - Terrible training and atmosphere
    - Too many managers, hard to know who to talk to
    - To many holidays and people off sick, know one is cross trained for those occasions
    - Too many people hired and fired, regularly
    - RSM didn't know anything about the industry
    - Tech's don't care about quality

This was honestly one of the worst an unprofessional positions I have ever held. Very disappointing for such a large company that positions themselves as an industry leader.

Get a new management team and train them properly. Create a platform to move ahead from rather than using the knee jerk reaction. Lastly as an industry leader you should be proactive rather than trying to implement strategies from the early 2000's in 2013.

Superior Propane Photos

Superior Propane Bulk & Service Trucks
Superior Propane has introduced five Pink Trucks that donate a portion of revenue to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.

+ Add Photo