Supermedia

Supermedia Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Supermedia CEO Peter J. McDonald

Peter J. McDonald

Pros:
  • "Benefits are good, commission not bad and my co-workers are great"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Great working conditions, tops in pay and benefits"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Fighting the perception that the print yellow pages are no longer viable"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Upper management takes care of themselves - no loyalty for those of us who have been loyal"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Media Consultant and past manager.

Premise Media Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Supermedia full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay is reasonable. Most products are beneficial. Trying to convert to a digital company.

ConsOver half of the business is centered around selling Verizon Yellow Page products. Yellow Page products are on the outs. The new merger with DEX is a step in survival. There is no feeling of warmth working for this Corporation. Very stressful and callus place to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should asses your employees career contrabutions as a whole not just one bad year.

Financially rewarding, but personally unfulfilling due to poor performing products and dissatisfied clients.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Supermedia full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay, commissions and benefits. Many employees with tenure. The company is loyal to keeping their people long term.

ConsLack if innovation on new products and technological advancement. Poor client service management resultng in having to work with unhappy clients day in and day out. Because the comapny is loyal to folks whom have come from the yellow page industry, the organization is run like it was when we were primarily selling print yellow pages. The retention of digital products is very poor which results in a constant churn of new clients. Very little and poor recognition for the sales teams who excel.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the digital product set so that they deliver better results to our clients. Loyalty is nice, but it is contributing to sinking the company due to lack of new ideas and old fashioned threat management of employees. Get out of the ivory tower, quit passing the ball, get on the street, and understand your people, and client issues.

great company initially, but too many mergers hurt the potential for advancement

Manager (Former Employee)
DFW, TX

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood salary, good benefits, fairly good balance of work/home life

Consleadership changed frequently, no opportunity for advancement, and sales continues to decline which results in reductions of force (lay offs).

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize, reward, and retain the quality employees

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supermedia is NOT going to be around for much longer, so look elsewhere.

Telephone Media Consultant (Former Employee)
Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTelephone sales is 8 to 5 with no overtime. First sales job where I was required to leave at 5, regardless of the work load (this can also be a con).

ConsCompany is numbers driven in a market with little potential. Yellow page advertising is a dying industry (regardless of the "stats"). The company is expanding their digital offerings, but for the most part, the products do not provide a substantial ROI for small media budgets. Company pays exorbitant bonuses to upper management with negative growth year over year, while the sales team's compensation has been whittled away year after year. 2013 Q4 paid bonuses to execs in the 7 figure range, 2014 Q1, laid off 30% of the sales force.

Advice to Senior ManagementExcessive meetings cut into sales time. Harping on new non sales continually is not motivating to a sales force. Keeping promises to the sales force (Vegas sales meeting trip cancelled after qualifiers were met) would go a long way in keeping your consultants motivated.

Good when I started, then became increasingly shaky.

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Normal, IL

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent team of people to work with. I met a lot of good people both on my sales calls and in the office. Initial training was the best training I had ever had.

ConsCompany's backing of products was terrible. We would be trained on a new product that we were going to change the world and save the company with only to find out that each time you sold it you would be faced with endless follow ups to go along with customer complaints that the product wasn't working.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building products that bring real value to your potential customers and make sure that it can and will be supported perfectly before you roll them out. Have test results of the programs ready to share with reps as you are training them on the product so they can see that it has actually worked for someone else.

DEXMEDIA WILL FILE FOR BANKRUPTCY AGAIN... WATCH!

I have been working at Supermedia for more than a year

ProsGreat Products, Pay, Bonuses, and Benefits.

ConsBad customer service and fullfilment.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is clueless, that's why they keep losing accounts. Management needs to be revamped and overhauled. Bad Managers that create a bad environment in the work place.

The Worst Job I Ever had

Media Consultant (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than a year

ProsThe health benefits are good

ConsSupermedia (or DEX Media as they are now known) shows equal disdain for its employees and clients. Customer Service takes a back seat to how much money can you drain out of any given client. Too often sales reps are out selling a product that the company has a hard time delivering on.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees and appreciate your customers.

Pros and cons to work with them

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
East Meadow, NY

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Digital , training was very good, good people around you. Very good base and commission.

ConsFulfillment not met from other departments when handed off. Paper work very long

Advice to Senior Managementwork on the support teams to fulfill the products needs.

Frustrating and unethical.

Telephone Media Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Supermedia full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou had freedom to make things happen on your own.

ConsThe Internet products aren't very effective and the print was dying.

Advice to Senior ManagementThrow in the towel, your a sinking ship. All the overpaid executives who make millions in bonues while he company is dying ought to be ashamed of themselves. Greedy,unscrupulous bastards.

This company is a DOG!

Media Consultant (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Supermedia full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat salespeople. Computer systems for day-to-day work are great.

ConsVERY negative environment. Constant threats.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe you should just shut down and get it over with. You keep documented terrible managers and layoff incredible performers? I agree with another reviewer that you appear to be deliberately trying to run the company into the ground.

Worked for Supermedia? Contribute to the Community!

Supermedia Videos

Supermedia – Why Work for Us?

Social, Local, Mobile SuperMedia helps businesses build the right social, local, and mobile presence so they can connect with their customers, wherever they may be. Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Supermedia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Supermedia CEO Peter J. McDonald. All 286 reviews posted anonymously by Supermedia employees.