Supermedia

Updated December 11, 2014
2.1

Supermedia CEO Peter J. McDonald
Peter J. McDonald

Pros
  • Benefits are good, commission not bad and my co-workers are great (in 42 reviews)

• Great working conditions, tops in pay and benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • 90% of the companies profits come from yellow pages which nobody uses anymore (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management takes care of themselves - no loyalty for those of us who have been loyal (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

A horrible company

Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers are great. Too bad they have to deal with this company.

Cons

Horrible management from the top to mid-level to lover level.

Shut it down once and for all, instead of changing the company name each time you file for bankruptcy

Oct 7, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We're sorry to hear that your confidence in management was low while employed with the company. The concerns and needs of of our employees comes second to none.

We have a very employee
    ... More

Unsatisfactory

Current Employee - Inside Media Consultant in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Inside Media Consultant in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Supermedia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people. Full benefits. Health Insurance. 401k. Paid time off. Paid holidays etc.

Cons

Nobody wants their product. 90% of the companies profits come from yellow pages which nobody uses anymore. Company is scrambling like mad to sell electronic advertising. Their offering is weak and they want customers to sign a one year contract for online advertising. Which makes people very suspicious. If the advertising worked, wouldn't the customer continue to renew it on a month to month basis? But making them sign something that says they are going to the company say $3000 every 30 days for a year whether it works or not is fishy. Company once had good bonuses but that has all been eliminated. Used to be a great place to work. It's one of the worst now. Stay away.

Oct 2, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi. We're sorry to hear about the dissatisfaction you've outlined regarding the company and products offered. We would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns as we certainly want employees to ... More

The worst place I have ever worked in my entire life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Telephone Media Consultant
    Current Employee - Telephone Media Consultant

I have been working at Supermedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make money if you lie about how great the products are!!, The products do not work, and you will just make businesses owners hate you if you sell them. Benefits are the only thing good about this place.

Cons

Worst place I have ever worked by far. Constant micro-management and you are always treated like you are a 5 year old. It will stress you out so bad that it will make you depressed. You are only as good as your last sale. Management is flooding your email box with threats and quota reminders every 30 minutes. Do not work here, your life will so negatively impacted if you do.

CHANGE EVERYTHING! Treat people with respect!!

Sep 22, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We’re happy to have you on the team as a valued employee and greatly appreciate your feedback. The issues that you’ve outlined regarding your employment and unhappiness with our products is very ... More

Avoid Supermedia or Dex Media or whatever name they are going by at all costs.

Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were OK. The potential for earning money was always there, but the product fulfillment issues, the abusive price hikes and the company's unwillingness to be flexible with clients made it very hard to keep those commissions or the clients.

Cons

Flavor of the week product pushing which would wreck existing client relationships, the constant "I'm not threatening your job, I'm just saying what could likely happen..." sort of management, the micromanaging but at the same time, complete cluelessness about what is going on or what the sales reps are working on. One manager told me they really couldn't see the details of what a rep put in to the CRM software. Great.

Product fulfillment that never happens right, and there's very little way to correct it or make it right for the client. The prices that are so far out of line with the market that it's almost laughable. The company is top-heavy with managers who are left over from when the yellow pages was a desirable and viable product, who are all scrambling to hang on to their jobs by pointing the fingers at the reps...it was akin to blaming the cattle for bleeding on the slaughterhouse floor when clients left angry because of an 8% price increase, or the company not canceling their account and still demanding payment for those extra months, or the annual dance of meeting a new sales rep/media consultant/marketingconsultant/whatever the company thinks is the right name and then hearing about how the product which is not delivering results is actually -- according to this data that the company provides -- working great.

Many of the managers, and most of the trainers I encountered, actually could not sell well at all -- the head of training in my office had no clue about real challenges, and would reply with "just say this..." and recite something that would really just insult the client.

Keep it simple: stick with what works, stop forcing clients into "bundles", keep your existing client base -- which is 80% small and medium sized businesses -- happy by working with them the way they work with all of their clients: we present ourselves as the advertising agency for small businesses, then we should actually be the advertising agency, not just an advertising big-box style warehouse.

Don't make promises and then back out on them, like that Del Vegas horror show sales incentive that was canceled after hyping it to everyone ("we're all going to Vegas for a three day trip! All of us!"...."Pack your bags, 'cause we're going!"..."oh, um...we aren't going, but you people are just the best and we really mean it."

Get rid of your old cronies who are still hanging around from the Verizon and Bell Atlantic days.

Unless you're in front of the client and listening to what that client complains about, don't decide your financial losses are the result of unskilled reps.

You had a team of great reps, who knew the market inside and out, and instead of seeing how to capitalize on that, you simply took the approach of "that's not what our data says..."

And hey, cute online reputation management responses to the reviews. I know, you're glad I enjoyed some of my time at the job. That's nice.

Aug 21, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, we're sorry to hear that your overall experience with the company was not satisfactory for you. Be assured that we encourage all feedback, from past and current employees as it's the only way we ... More

Accept the things you cannot change and have the courage to change the things you can.

Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant
    Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once there were many. Now, there are none.

Cons

Take a seat and start taking notes.

Shame on you. You destroyed a once great company. You resisted change when it smacked you in the gut and instead of reacting responsibly, you turned a deaf ear to the sounds of reason. You could have owned the internet market but what did you do? You were years late and billions of dollars short. Your style of pro-active management made the dinosaurs seem like forward-looking strategists. You started bleeding cash at the aorta and you tried to stem the flow by using band-aids patches. You allowed top notch talent to leave the company and you replaced them with novices and refused to invest the time and money in developing the skills necessary to succeed. You helped the company commit suicide so long as you survived. This is your legacy. May the nightmares you created haunt you in your sleep.

Aug 12, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, thank you for sharing this feedback with us. It's great to know that you felt at one point, there were several positive aspects of the company and disappoints us to know that your outlook ... More

Not long for this world

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Supermedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was similar to that in the technology sector. Very competitive

Cons

This company can't adapt with the times. When I was hired, they stated they were making a push to go heacy into technology. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Leadership are all holdovers from the days when people relied on the yellow pages to find information. They simply cannot adapt with the times

There is an old school sales mentality throughout the organization and it is poisonous. I was offered a promotion into the sales division and I knew immediately I didn't want it. There is no work/life balance on that side of the house.

There is no chance for any advancement. This is a dying industry and they can't get out of their own way.

Figure out how you are going to advance the company. There is no exit strategy. Make a strong push into new ventures or you will be dead in 5 years.

Aug 21, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, as a current employee, we definitely want to hear how you truly feel regarding your employment situation and your outlook about the company. The information you've provided will help us as we ... More

Sumermedia - Marketing Consultant

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Ontario, CA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is making a late effort to bring new internet products to market to stem loss the of it's print clients.

Cons

The company is hurting financially as evidenced by 2 bankruptcy fillies in recent years. Marketing consultants are micromanaged daily.

Sep 2, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We apologize for the delayed response to your review. Be assured that we greatly appreciate the commitment that you offered as an employee and the feedback provided in your review. Thank you, Ed.

Supermedia rips off clients!!!

Former Employee - Salesperson in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Chicago, IL

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They successfully use high-pressure sales techniquesto sell advertising.

Cons

.This company is deceptive, it lies, it distorts, it does anything to get your money. I know, until recently I worked for them in their Chicago office selling advertising. I have never been with a company that was so deceptive in its practices. Their practices can best be described as predatory.

Try telling the truth!

Don know when you will get fired but you will

Former Employee - Media Consultant in Norton Shores, MI
    Former Employee - Media Consultant in Norton Shores, MI

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is around 50k good for a spring board job

Cons

Was a leader in digital sales for this company and the only thing they could offer me was a unemployment check. They do not vale any inside sales person and outside sales has to deal with way to much for the pay. No chance for promotion and company is all about making a buck not about the quality of employees or product.

Was lied to and told about advancement when in reality they were waiting to get rid of everyone.

Sep 2, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, we apologize for the delayed response to your review and hate to hear about your outlined disappointment. Be assured that the time you provided to the company was greatly appreciated. Thank you ... More

Save Yourself A Lot of Time and Don't Bother

Former Employee - Media Consultant
    Former Employee - Media Consultant

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with customers to find out more about their business such as goals, where they want to be, how aggressive they're willing to get to achieve those goals. Company does provide good industry information to present to the customer -- although we people who work there often wondered if it were true.

Cons

This company has changed so drastically the last few years. They have absolutely no concern for their current advertisers; all they care about is how many new accounts you've opened. Management is very negative and has turned into a used car salesman mentality. Terrible leadership.

Leadership has no clue what they're doing. This company is doing so badly and they will try anything to make it turn around. If it doesn't completely turn around in 3 days, they then try something else new.

Sep 2, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, we're sorry to hear that your overall experience with us was not satisfactory for you. Thank you for taking the time out to post your review. -Ed