Supermedia

Updated December 11, 2014
2.1

Supermedia CEO Peter J. McDonald
Peter J. McDonald

Pros
  • Benefits are good, commission not bad and my co-workers are great (in 42 reviews)

• Great working conditions, tops in pay and benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • 90% of the companies profits come from yellow pages which nobody uses anymore (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management takes care of themselves - no loyalty for those of us who have been loyal (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

A leaning experience

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent, hours, union representation

Cons

Lack of support, unrealistic sales quota, pressure from management

n/a

Dec 16, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

H- We thank you greatly for the service that you provided to the company and for taking the time to post your review. -Ed

Manager

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very close to home and very good hours.

Cons

New Management did not know the business

Listen to employees

Nov 14, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- Thank you for your providing 10 + years of dedicated service to the company! Our management team works diligently to excel at their leadership duties and to make sure that our employees have what ... More

Good company to work for

I worked at Supermedia

Pros

Great management to work with

Cons

None that I can think of

None

Nov 5, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- Thank you so much for your tenure with the company, and for taking the time to post your feedback. It's greatly appreciate! -Ed

A horrible company

Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers are great. Too bad they have to deal with this company.

Cons

Horrible management from the top to mid-level to lover level.

Shut it down once and for all, instead of changing the company name each time you file for bankruptcy

Oct 7, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We're sorry to hear that your confidence in management was low while employed with the company. The concerns and needs of of our employees comes second to none.

We have a very employee
    ... More

Unsatisfactory

Current Employee - Inside Media Consultant in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Inside Media Consultant in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Supermedia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people. Full benefits. Health Insurance. 401k. Paid time off. Paid holidays etc.

Cons

Nobody wants their product. 90% of the companies profits come from yellow pages which nobody uses anymore. Company is scrambling like mad to sell electronic advertising. Their offering is weak and they want customers to sign a one year contract for online advertising. Which makes people very suspicious. If the advertising worked, wouldn't the customer continue to renew it on a month to month basis? But making them sign something that says they are going to the company say $3000 every 30 days for a year whether it works or not is fishy. Company once had good bonuses but that has all been eliminated. Used to be a great place to work. It's one of the worst now. Stay away.

Oct 2, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi. We're sorry to hear about the dissatisfaction you've outlined regarding the company and products offered. We would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns as we certainly want employees to ... More

The worst place I have ever worked in my entire life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Telephone Media Consultant
    Current Employee - Telephone Media Consultant

I have been working at Supermedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make money if you lie about how great the products are!!, The products do not work, and you will just make businesses owners hate you if you sell them. Benefits are the only thing good about this place.

Cons

Worst place I have ever worked by far. Constant micro-management and you are always treated like you are a 5 year old. It will stress you out so bad that it will make you depressed. You are only as good as your last sale. Management is flooding your email box with threats and quota reminders every 30 minutes. Do not work here, your life will so negatively impacted if you do.

CHANGE EVERYTHING! Treat people with respect!!

Sep 22, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We’re happy to have you on the team as a valued employee and greatly appreciate your feedback. The issues that you’ve outlined regarding your employment and unhappiness with our products is very ... More

Media Consultant

Former Employee - Media Consultant in Holyoke, MA
    Former Employee - Media Consultant in Holyoke, MA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to earn good money and help local businesses.

Cons

High pressure and highly competitive field of digital advertising.

Keep up the good work.

Sep 5, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We're glad to know that your overall experience working with SuperMedia was a positive one! Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Ed.

Sales

I have been working at Supermedia

Pros

Pros are the benefits started from day one. And had unlimited tuition reimbursement

Cons

company set unrealistic goals that were unattainable and no one was able to meet them turnover was very high

Sep 5, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- Thank you greatly for posting your pros and cons regarding current employment. Be assured that your feedback will not go unheard as we encourage employees to voice their work experiences and ... More

Avoid Supermedia or Dex Media or whatever name they are going by at all costs.

Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were OK. The potential for earning money was always there, but the product fulfillment issues, the abusive price hikes and the company's unwillingness to be flexible with clients made it very hard to keep those commissions or the clients.

Cons

Flavor of the week product pushing which would wreck existing client relationships, the constant "I'm not threatening your job, I'm just saying what could likely happen..." sort of management, the micromanaging but at the same time, complete cluelessness about what is going on or what the sales reps are working on. One manager told me they really couldn't see the details of what a rep put in to the CRM software. Great.

Product fulfillment that never happens right, and there's very little way to correct it or make it right for the client. The prices that are so far out of line with the market that it's almost laughable. The company is top-heavy with managers who are left over from when the yellow pages was a desirable and viable product, who are all scrambling to hang on to their jobs by pointing the fingers at the reps...it was akin to blaming the cattle for bleeding on the slaughterhouse floor when clients left angry because of an 8% price increase, or the company not canceling their account and still demanding payment for those extra months, or the annual dance of meeting a new sales rep/media consultant/marketingconsultant/whatever the company thinks is the right name and then hearing about how the product which is not delivering results is actually -- according to this data that the company provides -- working great.

Many of the managers, and most of the trainers I encountered, actually could not sell well at all -- the head of training in my office had no clue about real challenges, and would reply with "just say this..." and recite something that would really just insult the client.

Keep it simple: stick with what works, stop forcing clients into "bundles", keep your existing client base -- which is 80% small and medium sized businesses -- happy by working with them the way they work with all of their clients: we present ourselves as the advertising agency for small businesses, then we should actually be the advertising agency, not just an advertising big-box style warehouse.

Don't make promises and then back out on them, like that Del Vegas horror show sales incentive that was canceled after hyping it to everyone ("we're all going to Vegas for a three day trip! All of us!"...."Pack your bags, 'cause we're going!"..."oh, um...we aren't going, but you people are just the best and we really mean it."

Get rid of your old cronies who are still hanging around from the Verizon and Bell Atlantic days.

Unless you're in front of the client and listening to what that client complains about, don't decide your financial losses are the result of unskilled reps.

You had a team of great reps, who knew the market inside and out, and instead of seeing how to capitalize on that, you simply took the approach of "that's not what our data says..."

And hey, cute online reputation management responses to the reviews. I know, you're glad I enjoyed some of my time at the job. That's nice.

Aug 21, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, we're sorry to hear that your overall experience with the company was not satisfactory for you. Be assured that we encourage all feedback, from past and current employees as it's the only way we ... More

Accept the things you cannot change and have the courage to change the things you can.

Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant
    Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant

I worked at Supermedia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once there were many. Now, there are none.

Cons

Take a seat and start taking notes.

Shame on you. You destroyed a once great company. You resisted change when it smacked you in the gut and instead of reacting responsibly, you turned a deaf ear to the sounds of reason. You could have owned the internet market but what did you do? You were years late and billions of dollars short. Your style of pro-active management made the dinosaurs seem like forward-looking strategists. You started bleeding cash at the aorta and you tried to stem the flow by using band-aids patches. You allowed top notch talent to leave the company and you replaced them with novices and refused to invest the time and money in developing the skills necessary to succeed. You helped the company commit suicide so long as you survived. This is your legacy. May the nightmares you created haunt you in your sleep.

Aug 12, 2014Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, thank you for sharing this feedback with us. It's great to know that you felt at one point, there were several positive aspects of the company and disappoints us to know that your outlook ... More