Supermedia Reviews

Reset

1. Sales

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent work-life balance. High income potential due to uncapped commissions

Cons

Micro-management. Products don't always deliver what they should according to the sales pitch.

Advice to Management

Treat sales people as professionals and not as much micro-management.

Save Yourself A Lot of Time and Don't Bother

Former Employee - Media Consultant
    Former Employee - Media Consultant

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with customers to find out more about their business such as goals, where they want to be, how aggressive they're willing to get to achieve those goals. Company does provide good industry information to present to the customer -- although we people who work there often wondered if it were true.

Cons

This company has changed so drastically the last few years. They have absolutely no concern for their current advertisers; all they care about is how many new accounts you've opened. Management is very negative and has turned into a used car salesman mentality. Terrible leadership.

Advice to Management

Leadership has no clue what they're doing. This company is doing so badly and they will try anything to make it turn around. If it doesn't completely turn around in 3 days, they then try something else new.

Supermedia Response

Sep 2, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, we're sorry to hear that your overall experience with us was not satisfactory for you. Thank you for taking the time out to post your review. -Ed

3. OK Place to Work

Current Employee - Web Technology Coordinator in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Web Technology Coordinator in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Supermedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere & Stellar on the job training

Cons

No room for advancement, and work/life balance wasn't conducive to my needs.

The other 500 reviews are spot on for this company with 3 different names....

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Supermedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, training pay, income potential, working with small businesses, some flexibility with schedule.

Cons

Where to begin? Even if you're a top performer, you WILL be routinely micro managed. You will do an endless amount of truly insane, pointless paperwork and ridiculous tasks and reports, then get grilled on why you didn't make more sales. No matter what you do or sell, no matter how big, how impossible the sale, it's NEVER enough. NEVER. And everytime we get ANOTHER new product, you get GRILLED to sell the lousy new outsourced product. It's brutal. And this will be coming from people who NEVER sold in the environment you did, and likely, couldn't do what you do. Work/life balance is horrendous if you're in outside sales if you want to be even moderately successful. You WILL spend hours each night working from home, after a full day at work. This time that you give to the company (UNpaid!) will NOT EVER be acknowledged in any way. If you're good, you'll do this because you have work to do from making sales. If you're ok, then the same. If you aren't good, then you'll be given a thousand things to do to make you good! It will be a level of micromanagement you couldn't even imagine!! And if you don't do well, management will torment you until you leave (I've seen this many times) on a whole new level. The company is trying to "sell everything to everybody everyday" and while it's a great idea in theory, in reality, we have WAY too much to offer, too many accounts to handle, too much paperwork, and too many meetings and reports that get in the way. BUT, Supermedia outsources EVERYTHING they sell, SO, WHEN (not IF!) something goes wrong, it is up to the sales rep to fix whatever mistake was made by some anonymous employee from another company. I've had mistakes made by others that took WEEKS to fix. Why? It's stupidmedia!! Also, most of the products we sell don't really work very well. We are really good at spinning the results to make them sound very positive, but when you sift through all the crap, they typically don't work well. We ARE cheap, so that's good, but if it doesn't work, there's zero value. Supermedia DOES do a fantastic job with all things yellow pages, but needless to say, that doesn't get used much anymore.

Advice to Management

The days of selling the most important advertising product ever AND being a monopoly are LONG GONE. We make less money now (BEFORE you adjust for inflation!!!!) and do TWENTY TIMES the amount of work that you morons did back in the stone age!! Instead of having one to two irrelevant competitors like you did when you clowns sold yellow pages WHEN IT WAS THE PRIMARY SOURCE OF ADVERTISING FOR ALL SMALL BUSINESSES, we sell this crap now and VERY FEW people care about it, and while we do sell TONS of online advertising, we do it with LITERALLY THOUSANDS of competitors!! Most of management needs to be fired from the bottom up, and replaced with young blood who has a clue what's going on in the world today. If radical changes are not made very soon, the end of this company is inevitable. Upper management has been robbing this company blind and running it into the ground for years, and the bubble is about to burst. If the stockholders only knew....... PS: if you read the reviews for all 3 company names, you can clearly see these problems have been going on for years, yet nothing is done. There's really nothing new here. The same awful culture has existed here for many years: whatever the problem is, blame the sales reps, and rob the place blind, then jump ship. Or file bankruptcy. Or another merger. Or name change. And then another bankruptcy. This place is FULL of white collar crime. PSS: the current super incompetent narcoleptic CEO is about to jump ship and leave his old pal Del in charge. If this isn't the end of the company, it would be a miracle!!

Sweat Shop!

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Commision, some co workers.

Cons

Micro Managers watch your every move. Listen in on sales calls and sit behind you while you are trying to present, criticizing everything you say and do. Too many meetings! There are meetings about the meetings. A new digital product introduced often, very often, to try to bring back dying yellow pages revenue. Most products do not work as presented to the clients- therefore many unhappy customers. Emphasis on new business, minimum 70 cold calls a day. Ruthless badgering of small to medium business owners. Sales team encouraged to back stab and steal clients from co workers.

Advice to Management

Stop Micro Managing and stick with a few good products that really help small to medium businesses grow!

7. Media Consltant

Former Employee - Media Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Media Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance. Commission was great for the market

Cons

Product did not perform. Clients would complain or not pay their bill

Advice to Management

Work on improving product. Lower cost per person. Increase reach

Look elsewhere for a "career"

Former Employee - Media Consultant in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Media Consultant in Everett, WA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for entry level position. Had all the standard perks one would expect from a large corporation: Vacation time, Bonus Pay, Daily, Weekly, Monthly and even yearly awards and spiffs.

Cons

Sold worthless products, like pay for call, which never generated any calls for many clients, or PPC, which ate through clients budget in no time, and produced far less than desirable sells, though some clients did benefit. Nearly everyone from my training class lost their job, or quit, most within the first 3 months, and the rest within 6 months with only a few making it a year, or longer.

Advice to Management

Get a real education in corporate management, and don't speed through Supermedia's training.

From great to hell on earth

Former Employee - Premise Media ConsultPrep
    Former Employee - Premise Media ConsultPrep

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

WAS fantastic when I started 12 years ago. The company I started with does not exist today. Went from the best job to the worst job over a period of 5 years I learned so much and there were so really amazing people who worked there.

Cons

Products do not work. No forward thinking, super old, antiquated way of running a business. No vision from senior leadership. Very depressing work environment, no joy to be had. I could no longer believe in the management or products, they fully expected you to lie, cheat or steal to make a sale. Lead by fear and intimidation. Horrible paper work and systems in place. Worst case scenario for sales people. Turned into the worst culture and the worst company culture.

Advice to Management

Any advice would not be taken. They are managing the death of this company and grabbing all the money and profits they can. When I left I really felt they did not care for the current clients, it was all about selling what was good for the company. The sad thing is, everybody who works there knows the digital products suck for a majority of the clients. I knew this company was toast when 2 years ago senior management was going to refocus on the print! Really? Print? That's what you've been working on? And if this isn't a sign, they keep hiring people who retired years ago, who know nothing about the tech industry. Just sad

10. Skepticism is wisdom.

Current Employee - Management in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Supermedia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Non-leadership people are really good people. Average benefits and decent salary.

Cons

Executive team has their heads stuck in the sand. There is no room for creativity or alternative viewpoints. Failure to always agree with an opinion frequently results in loss of employment through mismanaged reduction in force processes. If you are not liked, you are out the door.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Make business decisions that truly benefit the business and not your bonuses.

11. suck

I worked at Supermedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

food is ok. not too bad

Cons

long hours and low pay

Advice to Management

nothing

RSS Feed </> Embed