Supplemental Health Care

Updated September 3, 2014
3.9

Supplemental Health Care President & CEO Janet Elkin
Janet Elkin

Pros
  • Great benefits such as 401(k) match, PTO, health insurance, pet insurance, and even discounts on hotels (in 5 reviews)

• They believe in assisting their employees with a healthy work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Misleading upper management and lack of company team building events (in 4 reviews)

• There are no cons to working for this company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

"They value their employees in both word and deed"

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Administrative Director in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Administrative Director in Decatur, GA

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent pay rates. Their rewards program is unique and offers many very nice items that you can receive in exchange for "points" that you earn for hours of work completed, assignment acceptance and tenure with the company. They also offer bonuses for productivity and good client evaluations and references.

Cons

Benefits don't include accrued leave or paid holidays. I know this is typical for contract assignments, but I think the benefits should mirror those that would normally be offered by the client. The assignment I'm filling would normally be an exempt (salaried) position, which would include paid holiday and accrued leave. The office is closed on holidays. Regular employees receive holiday pay, but contract employees do not.

Thanks for showing this employee that you care!

Misleading

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, MO

Pros

I can not think of any.

Cons

I had to constantly call, every day, until I was paid for a job!!! After that, I was paid a couple bucks less, than the contract stated!! I sent multiple emails and received no response. Later, they said it would be fixed on the next check and it was not!!!!

Be organized, have integrity and be honest!!

good company

Current Employee - Register Nurse in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Register Nurse in Austin, TX

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

good recruiters, get paid on time, perk points for gifts, the market rate is usually paid, telephone calls returned in timely manner

Cons

its a travel company so you have put in alot of paperwork. other than that it been a pretty good deal. inbetween contracts kinda pressured with many calles

Supplemental was great employer, yet couldn't provide enough work hours for me in Cincinnati, OH.

Former Employee - PRN COTA in Cincinnati Amf, OH
    Former Employee - PRN COTA in Cincinnati Amf, OH

I worked at Supplemental Health Care as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, HR Manager was professional and considerate of my circumstances. She worked very hard to assist me with hours I needed.

Cons

There were not enough companies that were looking for Occupational Therapy Assistants in the Cincinnati area from which I was living.

N/A

Compliance and Administrative Coordinator

Former Employee - Compliance Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Compliance Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Supplemental Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office environment was very close. I felt we were all friends and could communicate very well together. We supported each other to be successful with the goals we were given to achieve. We had very strong leadership and even with several offices across the country you were a name not a number.

Cons

Sometimes the computer program used by the company was difficult to work with slowed progress.

Your understanding of work-life balance was noted.

Well structured company

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The structure of Supplemental Healthcare is great. You have all that you need to succeed. The company builds most of it's internal solutions- IT, training, etc. So that creates opportunities for movement within. Also, management does truly exercise and open-door policy. Your concerns (if any) will always be heard.

Cons

The industry itself is subject to inconsistency. Also, the structure in place will only excel if you have the right people on your team. The teamwork nature of the job is essential. The incorrect team mix can be hard on an individual who personally excels.

The focus on numbers (revenue) is of course important. It's how employees keep their jobs. However, I would love if there was more continual process strategy happening. The industry is very inconsistent, but performance quotas are not. I think a more strategic look at specific situations will help managers initiate better plans. As it stands, management instructs to increase "productivity" numbers that may not necessarily be the value-added effort to solve a problem. I just think management gives process improvement answers too quickly, not allowing time to truly assess issues to come up with the best quality solutions.

Very supportive staff

Current Employee - Register Nurse in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Register Nurse in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have been supportive on providing a positive work enviorment

Cons

not always aware of the work stress that is given to contract nurses

Please keep being supportive of your nurses and listen to compliants

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Houston, TX

I worked at Supplemental Health Care as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Recruiter seemed to care at least initially , later not so much.

Cons

Contracts and/or job assignment frequently cancelled because found "other help" (no reflection on me),very undependable. Contingent contracts mean nothing here.

Look at your recruiters more carefully. Signed contracts dismissed (again, no reflection on me because I've never worked for them!) and now I've already declined other job offers. What's going on here? Time to leave.

Supplemental Is an OK Place for a Recruiter

Former Employee - Staffing Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Staffing Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Supplemental Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is good. Management prods you in the back to succeed constantly so some profit generation can be expected if you're a good recruiter.

Cons

They use and abuse people. Churn through the masses, and micromanage from the top down. You don't need to deal with that.

Stop micromanaging and hiring jerks.

Not for me!

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in DFW, TX

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of management is approachable and easy to get along with

Cons

Comprehensive training could have been better. Training is lengthy but not interactive enough.
    Work -life balance could be better.

Supplemental Health Care Photos