Supplemental Health Care

Updated December 18, 2014
3.8

Supplemental Health Care President & CEO Janet Elkin
Janet Elkin

Pros
  • They believe in assisting their employees with a healthy work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits such as 401(k) match, PTO, health insurance, pet insurance, and even discounts on hotels (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Misleading upper management and lack of company team building events (in 5 reviews)

• Micromanagement is the leading cause to high turnover rates; however, they seem to believe it's the best way to treat staff (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

"They value their employees in both word and deed"

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Administrative Director in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Administrative Director in Decatur, GA

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent pay rates. Their rewards program is unique and offers many very nice items that you can receive in exchange for "points" that you earn for hours of work completed, assignment acceptance and tenure with the company. They also offer bonuses for productivity and good client evaluations and references.

Cons

Benefits don't include accrued leave or paid holidays. I know this is typical for contract assignments, but I think the benefits should mirror those that would normally be offered by the client. The assignment I'm filling would normally be an exempt (salaried) position, which would include paid holiday and accrued leave. The office is closed on holidays. Regular employees receive holiday pay, but contract employees do not.

Thanks for showing this employee that you care!

Compliance and Administrative Coordinator

Former Employee - Compliance Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Compliance Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Supplemental Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office environment was very close. I felt we were all friends and could communicate very well together. We supported each other to be successful with the goals we were given to achieve. We had very strong leadership and even with several offices across the country you were a name not a number.

Cons

Sometimes the computer program used by the company was difficult to work with slowed progress.

Your understanding of work-life balance was noted.

I have been empowered to tackle some of the biggest leads and given all of the tools I need to be successful at SHC!

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

SHC has all of the benefits of working for a big company - respect and longevity in the market, support from the ancillary services and corporate, etc, all without the drawbacks. SHC functions more like a startup despite a 30 year corporate history and prides itself on being able to pivot and serve clients immediately.

Cons

Some of the downsides are that as SHC is a national company with offices scattered around the USA, I don't get to see everyone as often as I might like.

I love working with our senior leadership, mostly because our executive team are available and approachable to EVERYONE in the company. Only advice is to stay the course!

A Company that Executes it's Values Each and EveryDay

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strategic Planning from the Top to adjust to our ever changing industry

Cons

Salary Compensation is not the best in our industry - you have to pay for the best to KEEP the best!

AWESOME COMPANY!!!

Current Employee - Staffing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staffing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are the reason why I work here, everyone is professional and friendly, the atmosphere and being around wonderful team of professionals who love their job is great!! The incentives to do better and reach goals challenges me to be the best I can at my job. The value and beliefs on how we treat our employees and clients are amazing.

Cons

Long-hours on call nights doesn't help with work/life balance.

incredible environment for development and personal growth

Current Employee - Senior Market Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Market Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, the atmosphere, the daily challenge to self improve

Cons

not enough time in the day!

Great training - Great support

Current Employee - Market Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Market Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm new to the company and have received great support in my new role. I made one of the best decisions when I came to SHC!

Cons

There's a lot to learn - just takes time.

Training in the field from the experts has been great!

Amazing Career

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great career opportunity, benefits are outstanding, and offers me the chance to excel both at home and in my career

Cons

Unstable industry, but then again the entire economy is unstable. We make the best of it!

I truly enjoy working for this Company.

Current Employee - Staffing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Staffing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

SHC is a fantastic company to work for!

Cons

There are no cons to working for this company.

Work

Current Employee - Lead Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Supplemental Health Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid for the hard work you put in. Great environment to work in.

Cons

Need Hot chocolate. But other then that just work fast and you won't have any problems.

none.