Support.com

Support.com Reviews in Redwood City, CA

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Elizabeth Cholawsky

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a dream at first . . .

Personal Technology Expert (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsWhen I started, it was a dream. Sitting in front of my computer, never leaving the house; cleaning computers and wireless network support. Support.com's main tenant is [An ISP]. That ISP had begun making policy changes daily, and that caused many issues.

ConsThe policy changes were not Support.com's decision, more so they were forced in order to keep contracts with tenants. The main ISP contract dropped a bombshell that either Support.com did not know; or did not share with employees with enough notice. This last change caused a reduction in work force, a demotion; which was my final straw.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has already cleansed itself. I hear the company is doing better in corporate due to some in house downsizing (so I’ve heard). As a result I understand that a majority of complaints is with the tenants, not support.com itself. However, the teams are wholly support.com, and the [floor] needs more advancement opportunities.

EXTREMELY Political

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

Pros- Work from home
    - Good benefits
    - Decent pay

I was with Support.com for several years. If you read the reviews for SDC going back for years, you'll find quite the pattern. This company was once great. The people were good. Communication was decent. It was one of those rare places where you looked forward to coming to work. When you factored in the benefits, savings from WFH, and other items, pay was actually quite good. You actually felt like the management, all the way up to the CEO, cared.

Cons- Work from home
    - High end management doesn't care about the employee anymore
    - Horrible communication
    - EXTREMELY Political

In the past 2 years, the company has become a center for political games. It does not matter how good you are at what you do, it does not matter what your value is to the company. If you annoy the wrong person, you can count your future in days. Many people have been let go without rhyme or reason. Others have been let go for what would otherwise be minor infractions. This while others are given free passes on anything and everything.

While it is absolutely important for a company to be profitable, it is also important to maintain a level of respect with your employees. Your employees ARE your company. The level of disrespect for people at SDC has become outrageous. As with any organization, they have the usual "Open Door Policy", but if you actually try to talk to someone, or seek help for an issue, there is actually a fair chance that they will find SOME reason to just get rid of you.

Communication is a joke. The company makes promise after promise for improvements, then finds excuse after excuse for why they cannot deliver.

SDC has become an empty shell of what it once was. Once the Comcast contract is lost, they will likely disappear.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. This ship is beyond saving. If you are a current or upcoming employee, get your affairs in order now, because they are sinking, and sinking quick.

Work from home top of the perks but is it worth it long term?

Remote Support Technician (Former Employee)

ProsWorking from home
    Initially learning the job including advanced malware / virus removal etc
    Sometimes they can be flexible on schedules... depends

ConsWatching most of the good tickets all go overseas and getting messed up only to have American customers call and yell at you for the poor job they did.
    Was with the company 3 years and rated extremely well in technical ability but their is really no moving up with this company.
    Ripping off customers daily...
    Constant phone calls
    Dumbing down of services so they took really great technicians and are essentially making them regular phone operators just for their English speaking capability

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should try working at the baselevel of your company and working your way up over the past few years and really seen what you've been doing. Yes I can understand the need to make a profit for the company but if all the customers and the good employees leave in the years to come what have you gained?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used, abused and lied to.

Business Technology Expert (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsWorking from home. Not having to drive to a job that doesn't appreciate you.

ConsUpper management is lazy and inneficent. Hands work down to lower employees with promises of grandeur that never come true. No raise, ever. Constant backlash for discussing unethical practices. Asked numerous times to falsify facts to customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat people, if you promise to pay someone for work done. Do it. Quit lying and manipulating.

Happy with new direction

Redwood City, CA

ProsCollaborative work environment with genuinely nice people. New CEO is a software/product expert, and the company has been investing in innovation and technology. Also like that people appreciate work/life balance (lots of people have kids and coach teams, etc.)

ConsThe company is working on integrating the services team/contact center agents more closely, but still a long way to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on cultivating better morale in contact center, and keep going on software!

Review from Corporate Employee

Corporate Employee (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsThe sentiments stated by PTE's are very correct in my opinion and please do not disillusion yourself to believe that a job in corporate will be any different. Support.com is a company that I wish more corporate employees wrote reviews on so that I would have been saved the headache of accepting a job here. I was initially pleased with my position, but quickly found that systems are not in place to ensure that all teams work together cohesively. The atmosphere is very political and employees often talk about each other behind their backs and there are at least two factions at play. My direct supervisor talks negatively about everyone and has the habit of throwing many people under the bus. I understand that what this means is that if I am not in the room that my supervisor will speak negatively of me and blame me for things out of my control. I have held other positions and never have I had this level of 'high-school' behavior be so prevalent with a group of seeming professionals. Another Support.com team member told a blatant lie and threw blame to a group that had nothing to do with the issue. I am currently looking for a new position as Support.com is not a place where you build a longterm career. The raises are laughable and for some they will be laid off before they can cash in on their RSU's or other stock promises given instead of more salary.

ConsThe corporate culture is one that a few employees who have been working at Support.com for a longish period of time make decisions for other departments, often these decisions have more to do with 'how we have always done things' or what is easiest for them to accomplish and not based on what is best for the company, program, customer or employees. Further, the company will throw work events but somehow only certain employees are included in these company sponsored events and it's almost a 'secret' that those who work from home should not know about the event.

In the last year the CEO, CFO and other key corporate staff (including HR, Accounts, Development) have left. Do yourself a favor and seriously consider if this is the kind of company that is on the upswing and that you want to join.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the new CEO makes some major changes and cleans house. There are people working at Support.com who make coming to work everyday horrible. It is unacceptable that some people continue to work at Support.com because they fail to document their work and because of this they become 'indispensable' to the point that no one has any idea how to make 'x' work without them. This is a horrible way of doing business and should be immediately fixed.

Bad

Remote Support Tech RST (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

Prosnone, except working in pajamas from home.

Cons8 hours of saying the same thing and doing the same thing over and over. they score you on scripts, not helping customers. they fire you with no notice, no warning, just hey you're fired and hang up. they give out horrible "metrics" for customers calling back within 7 days, but their products are such crap that they call all the time. support.com doesn't care, they care about making good with THEIR clients, so we get crap schedules because we don't follow script or because of some statistically run metric program.

Advice to Senior Managementstop sucking.

Great when it started, a shell of what it used to be

Remote Support Tech RST (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsThere is nothing great about this company, although there are a few good supervisors left few and far in between

ConsThere are no company values, people are constantly trying to cheat the system. When they offer people to go home early to meet SLAs, everyone jumps on it all at once. Customers are rude and obnoxious because they have been transferred multiple times by incompetent fools that Comcast hires to do tier 1 tech support. Many times customers are cold transferred. Comcast didn't earn their #1 in customer dissatisfaction for no reason. By the time the customer gets to us we have to put on the nice face and say lines to help the customer feel better also known as empathy statements. We are graded by offshore QA that hardly know English and then grilled for not meeting QA requirements when they can't comprehend simple English.

Advice: Keep looking for a job, I quit better jobs than this.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat does it matter, you don't listen anyway and constantly invent new ways to screw the employees.

Working from home is the best part of the job

Remote Support Technician (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsWorking from home, depending on the trainer you get very knowledgable and helpful, somewhat helpful coworkers, good benefits

ConsLack of feedback other than call audits, lack of communication about policy changes but wanting those policies to be implemented, Mandatory overtime due to lack of staff

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more and stop catering to solely what the tenant wants before there's no one left to work for you.

It's a job.

Remote Support Tech RST (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsSups are cool. Work from home.

ConsWork from home(double edged sword). Comcast sucks and their customer service sucks to. By the time cx get's to me, they are livid.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake over Comcasts support 100%. CME's, Billing, TV, CDV, Ect.

Worked for Support.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Support.com reviews and ratings in Redwood City, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Support.com CEO Elizabeth Cholawsky. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Support.com employees.