Support.com Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Elizabeth Cholawsky

Pros
  • work from home but that's about it (in 200 reviews)

• It was a good job with decent pay while it lasted (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The opportunity to work from home seemed great (in 20 reviews)

• No raises in almost 4 years NO job security 200 people layed off before new year (in 39 reviews)

Good Compay

Current Employee - Remote Services Technician in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Remote Services Technician in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Support.com part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great position for anyone that has basic technical networking skills. The training that is provided is great.

The pros of this company are:
    *I can work from home
    *Not have to worry about wasting time and
     gas money going to a traditional brick and mortar
     type Business.
    *Don't have to drive everyday putting wear and tear/miles on a car or taking
     a bus to work.
    *Can eat at home and not have to waste money on lunch out to eat.
    *They pay is above the national average of minimum wage.

Cons

There are some cons to working at support.com

*Requires an incredible amount of self motivation

2. Remote Service Tech

Current Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Support.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, full time, benefits

Cons

ineffective scheduling procedures, spotty supervisor reliability.

A good place to work for once you

I worked at Support.com

Pros

Work from home, good pay, good team and supervisors. If you're a people person, you can talk down an angry customer with ease. I found that a pro for me, having that skill set.

Cons

Rapid changes. It appeared that Support.com gave an upper-hand more to their clients and not to their award winning customer service training. If Company A has award winning customer service, and Company B does not but Company B wants Company A's award winning customer service, then Company B needs to respect what Company A does.

Advice to Management

At times I feel as if management backed themselves against the wall for contracts, leaving their employees dangling with uncertainty.

Good and bad, pick whats important to you

Current Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Support.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

#1- Paid training. You don't make your full wage being trained but it's a fairly low stress time that is pleasant and interesting for 5 weeks. It would be wise to soak up as much as you can and study outside of class because when you reach production, you will hate learning on live calls. Chances are high you will get a major ISP who has a lot of script you won't like or agree with that breaks up the flow of the call. You really want to have a firm grasp of what's in scope when you start. Your trainers are motivated and very approachable. It's a decent learning environment. Good notes will be your friend the first 2 weeks, it gets much easier after that.
    #2- Decent tools. There is a certain amount of bugginess in the tools but for the most part they work well enough with little downtime. You can always find something to complain about but none of it is major. They are in a constant state of evolution and there is one tool in particular they seem to be grooming to eventually do it all. I will believe it when I see it. Good support makes things easier and internal IT for SDC is awesome.
    3# Benefits in weeks. You will have your insurance and not terrible extras pretty quick. Insurance isn't the best or the worst. floating holidays start building from day one and after just three months, I have a full day built up as well as almost a day of sick time.
    #4- Equipment compensation- You will get about a buck fifty per hour to cover expense of equipment and ISP. It non-taxed but wages are a little low so it adds up to an entry level job in IT without the commute expense. This is a significant attraction for this job.
    #5- Schedule is much more stable than many reviews insinuate. It may change from time to time but so far I have remained on my original production schedule for months.
    #6-Patience- For the most part, SDC knows you will need many months of production to be a good tech. They don't push hard as long as you keep your time perfect and do your best. I have yet to have a threat from any of my supervisors but I am respectful and I try hard so it's all good.

Cons

#1- Metrics. So many points of measurement on your production. Handle time, wrap time, the script (S4), offering certain statements at specific points in the call that has nothing to do with support. Many things you do well with contradict things you won't do well with and if you have a manager that is a metric freak, you will find yourself getting daily critiques and "skill building" penance such as keeping a separate log of specific activities he wants you to improve on and email them to him or her daily. For the most part, if you follow the script and choose the right solution path both in tools and in deeds, the metrics will sort themselves out as long as you miss very little or no work. If you have a bad ISP or local power grid, you are doomed. Look elsewhere for a job. SDC will be tolerant for a day or two a year but anything more will make both SDC and you unhappy.
    #2-Timezones- You are expected to be able to do time conversion on the fly and your job literally depends on thinking in West Coast time AND military time. Some tools work in military, some in AM/ PM format. Some read in your time zone, others in PDT. This issue can get you in trouble. Add your Supervisor's time zone if he demands you convert to it when speaking to him in emails. Don't laugh, some do. It is a point of failure that requires constant vigilance.
    #3- Your "tenant" is the company SDC sells your service to. Most likely, this will be the biggest ISP in the country. They very much are itching to have their RSTs to start sales and you will get some sales your last week in training. A very basic education in sales mechanics and an ignorant part of your script to offer to look at their services after you solve their problem to make sure they are "getting the best deal". The reason this is ignorant, you have no intention at this time of following up. You can't. This is more of a trail I think to see how people will react. Most are weary if they even hear it or it makes them hostile if they weren't already. Personally, I know I would never be effective at sales and I resent I may have to start doing sales as part of my already low paying support job. Add incentives and I will reconsider but there are none at this point or even a reasonable ability to sell better services to customers is not even an option at this time. You just wish they would stop adding distractions to your task load.

For those who are "Techy" but not customer service trained. Yes, you can get this job. Be able to answer basic Computer related questions about networking and navigation as well as read flow charts and have the minimum requirements for your equipment and internet speeds. It isn't hard for people who build their own computers, load their own operating systems etc. It's a great job to get your foot into the door of IT and get valuable experience and work history. Don't expect a great living, job security or a career path with potential wealth on the horizon. Sitting in a chair for 8 to 10 hours a day may not be the dream job you imagine. Having silence in your work area is a must. No family noises or music etc. This is not for a stay at home parent or caregiver. There will be no breaks beyond your schedule and the occasional bathroom break. You may be working from home but it is work and the guidelines are pretty strict in their own way. Think it through before you take the job. Last advice... you absolutely cannot miss ANY time during training or you will be terminated. No excuses period. Know this before you start training. 5 weeks of training and if your ISP craps out, you are fired. If there is a volcano erupting in your city, you will have to train through it or you are fired.

Advice to Management

Get a better system of communication with SUPs, POCs and other decision makers than Spark chat. Look, every single time I need a point of contact, by the time they respond to my chats, the problem has escalated out of control. Chatting 5 supervisors and getting a 20 minute delay of response is unreasonable. You people are so busy keeping teams on the move with shift bids and the like and QA that the basic jobs of management are suffering. Pull it out, get a system that works when a RST needs a response in 2 minutes or less.

Was an okay job prior to 2014

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Support.com

Pros

Working from home
    Benefits
    Paid time off

Cons

Working from home
    No pay raises
    The software they have you install on your computer, so that you can work, can bork your system with their poorly tested updates.
    Ask 4 different supervisors a question on a company policy, get 4 different answers
    Decent paying positions were outsourced to India/Malaysia
    Promotions are lateral, you will not work your way up.

Advice to Management

Unless its from their investors, they don't want to hear it.

One of the worst 3rd party tech support companies to work for

Former Employee - Remote Services Technician in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Remote Services Technician in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Support.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home is always a plus

Cons

Very poor implementation of new training modules; terrible micromanagement; low pay; no pay raise

Advice to Management

Trust your techs; coach them when necessary; should offer at least minimal pay raises

Its alright

I have been working at Support.com full-time

Pros

Low requirements, process of getting hired isn't hard. OT/VTO opportunties

Cons

Lots of tool issues, fairly low pay, angry customers. Lots of menial copy pasting while on calls. Even if you get promotions, you won't get paid much more.

9. Great Place to Work

I have been working at Support.com

Pros

I love the work from home model! It gives me the flexibility I need.

Cons

Changes move at lightning speed.

10. good company

I have been working at Support.com full-time

Pros

flexiblitly,wfh,hours,ot good company to work with if you stay at home

Cons

not many again very flexible and as long as you do your job and enjoy it you will fit right in

Advice to Management

keep up the good job i love working for sdc and all the different ventures they get into lots of jobs availble

Work from Home

I have been working at Support.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working for SDC for a while and it's been great, as it's a legit work from home job. You're reimbursed for using your own equipment. SDC provides the headset at no charge to you, with free replacements as necessary. Training is okay, especially if you have some background in tech.

Cons

If you're certified for anything in the tech industry, don't expect that to hold weight for your salary. There are no raises, though there is a Pay For Performance program, where your stats determine certain bonuses. Only other way to get a pay raise is to get a promotion. Starting times on shift are not consistent, meaning you'll work an hour earlier or later than the day before. They over-hire, so the opportunity for "Voluntary Time Off" is there, for which you have the option of using your paid time off or floating holiday time for. I used to love working in call centers, but the new trend of "no raises" is a real buzz kill.

Advice to Management

Pay should not be determined by robotic metrics. If an agent exceeds expectations, throw them a bone. Barely a living wage, when cost of living is more than what you get paid.

RSS Feed </> Embed