Support.com Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Elizabeth Cholawsky

Pros
  • work from home but that's about it (in 200 reviews)

• It was a good job with decent pay while it lasted (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The opportunity to work from home seemed great (in 20 reviews)

• No raises in almost 4 years NO job security 200 people layed off before new year (in 39 reviews)

1. Fun working from home, a nice job in between other work

Former Employee - Tech Specialist in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Specialist in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Support.com

Pros

Working from home, decent pay, friendly work environment, task oriented, I actually learned lots of new tech specific techniques. Honestly I enjoyed my ~ 2 years at this company. Although I gained some weight working from home.

Cons

Company moral, common practices, meetings, stick prices, lay offs

Advice to Management

Keep your employees in the know more frequently, invigorate people to want to learn more or take on more responsibility. More opportunities for growth from within and learning different systems.

Support.com - A unique entry level opportunity

Former Employee - Home Networking Support RST
    Former Employee - Home Networking Support RST

I worked at Support.com

Pros

I gave SDC 3 stars but a more accurate measure is 5 stars for the first 3 or 4 months. After that it depends on your will power and resolve. Work from home - This is the most obvious benefit. Although some will say they eventually get tired of being stuck in their house for work, working from home allows you to maintain your household while maintaining a full time job, which is nearly impossible otherwise. Set up a nice home office and this aspect will never fade away. Pay and benefits - I made roughly $10/hr with full benefits right away. No commute and cheap lunch at home makes for a healthy paycheck. Overtime and Time Off - Honestly they have some sound policies. I do not know how they stack up against other work from home support companies. Over time and Time off opportunities change with the seasons. In summer there is a lot of VTO or "Voluntary Time Off". This is a way for SDC to adapt to the needs of their tenant while offering tons of unpaid time off for those who would like it. In the holiday season they will offer a lot of over time. Vacation time adds up nicely and it is not difficult to use. Growth - I watched a few peers get promoted fairly quickly. If you intend to get promoted with SDC, then you likely will according to what I have seen. Environment - There are many extremely helpful agents at Support.com and you won't likely ever feel lost on a call. You will however sometimes get lost navigating policies when it goes beyond the phone call. Training - 1 month paid training. You will make about $1500 sitting in a webinar learning about windows and basic routing.

Cons

Call load - Sometimes the calls are back to back for 8 hours and sometimes there will be a 30 minute wait between each call. Management - Your experience at SDC depends heavily on the supervisor you are assigned. these will rotate frequently. One of the best supervisors I have ever worked for was at SDC, and when they rotated, I'd go as far as saying my next supervisor was one of the worst and this absolutely did impact my choice to leave the company. Comcast tenant - I worked in the Comcast tenant. The Quality Assurance method was a serious problem. Most agents were in a perpetual state of failing QA completely with less than 50% compliance due completely to how cryptic and purposeless the QA method was. I believe this opinion reflects the opinion of many other agents at SDC as I have discusses this matter at length. Depending on your supervisor, your experience with QA may border on harassment. Comcast's customers are often rightfully angry. You will deal with absolutely unreasonable customers all day long as a result of Comcast's total incompetence. WITH THAT SAID: This is still truly a fantastic opportunity if you need money. Go into it with the right mindset and tolerate fundamental flaws for as long as you can. I gave this a thumbs up for the 6 month business outlook because 6 months is right about the amount of time that I believe this job will stay tolerable for most.

Advice to Management

Make fixed part time schedules more available and work more directly with your agents on QA policy. And of course thank you for the opportunity!

Remote Service

I have been working at Support.com full-time

Pros

Working from home is good although I sometimes get cabin fever. My particular manager was cool and everyone works together to help you out if you get stuck

Cons

They are very very strict on attendance policy particularly during training. If you miss one day then you are kicked out of training and cant reapply until a couple of months later

5. RST Support

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Support.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, great selection of shifts, refurbishment for electricity and internet usage. Good work flows and a decent sense of community.

Cons

Mandatory OT, pressure to work a lot of hours. Inexperienced managers.

Advice to Management

None.

Good place to start

Current Employee - Remote Service Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Remote Service Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Support.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits 4/10 schedules available Support.com hires internally first

Cons

repetitive work process after 5 months no 401k match

7. multi-tenet rns tech

I worked at Support.com full-time

Pros

Great training, Solid Work from home position, Working tools and support. Easy to learn tools and lots of over time.

Cons

The only negative things I can say is that their VPN software can be a bit buggy, but they are always on top of fixing those sorts of issues. Also lower end of the pay scale but pretty much on par with other comparable work from home jobs.

Advice to Management

More promotion and growth would be nice, other than that keep up what you are doing. This company went from really bad to really great in such small time frame and it's out look seems positive.

Good overall but improvements needed...

Current Employee - Remote Services Technician
    Current Employee - Remote Services Technician

I have been working at Support.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Work from home. Definitely the #1 perk. 2. VTO (Voluntary Time Off) when we are overstaffed. It's nice having the opportunity to take a bit of time off of work when you need it. 3. Every day duties are pretty easy for those with basic IT skills (although the job can get a bit repetitive/monotonous at times).

Cons

1. Irate customers. Get used to dealing with people who yell, curse, and blame you for anything and everything, whether it's your fault or not. You are never allowed to hang up on a customer for any reason whatsoever, regardless of how bad you are being verbally abused. You are instead supposed to escalate the call to a supervisor, (which rarely ever happens by the way - and generally takes about 5 minutes to even get a response), and normally results in being told to "just try to de-escalate the situation." 2. Scripts. You are required to go through each step and complete a script on every single call. A lot of the time these scripts won't work correctly, are extremely inaccurate/report false info, slow to load, and are generally just a waste of time. It's not uncommon to spend 5-8 minutes going through a script for an issue you already know the solution to, and could have done yourself in 1-3 minutes (which is usually what you have to end up doing anyway once you finish the script since they rarely work). 3. Teams/supervisors rotate out about every 3-4 months. Around the time you start to really get to know your current sup/team is about the time you'll likely be pulled to a brand new sup/team, only to start this process all over again. 4. As others have pointed out, there isn't much of a consensus amongst supervisors. Ask 4 different sups the same question, and you are likely to get 2-4 different answers. It's not uncommon to get contradicting answers from different sups. 5. Policy/procedure/tools are changing frequently with little to no notice/training. A lot of what you initially learn in training will probably be outdated/changed within the first couple of months. Most of the time you will be expected to learn and immediately implement any of these changes live and on the fly, with no real preparation.

Advice to Management

See con #1. SDC needs to defend their phone reps, rather than stripping them of the ability to defend themselves. Abusive callers currently have no repercussions because management's new policy essentially encourages them to get away with it. It's obvious this doesn't work - why would abusive callers change their behavior toward CSRs when management has gone out of their way to ensure these callers have no consequences for their actions? Every released call is recorded and logged in the system anyway. Those calls should be judged on a case-by-case basis, rather than enforcing a "black-or-white", "always-or-never" policy to an issue that clearly has some grey area and varies from call to call. The phone support scripts need to be tweaked, and seriously revamped. They are very restrictive, and usually only helpful if you don't have a clue what the problem is. For example, asking a customer to power cycle their equipment (because the script tells you to do so) when you already know what the problem/solution is, and know that power cycling won't fix it, turns out to be a giant waste of time - yet we are required to do this unnecessary step anyway. It's even worse, though, because a lot of the time the customer has already gone through all of these steps 5 times with the previous 5 reps, because we're all following the same script anyway.

9. organization

Former Employee - Supervisor in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Support.com

Pros

great work place to work and the hours are easy to make. training was easy and so is communication being that every thing is virtual

Cons

everything was unorganized the pay for the responsibility was low. you cant do overtime. and in times you need it to make sure you are caught up. and seemed everyone is on a different note all the time.

Advice to Management

be more organized and at least have a supervisors training.

Call Center Job

I worked at Support.com

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Work from home. Get to work in PJ's. Some downtime in the night shifts. No selling (may be changing on that point)

Cons

Almighty queue. Supervisors are hit and miss and change every few months or so. Most of the employees are really working for comcast's internet support but that can change

Advice to Management

I really don't know what you can do to make a call center job any better. It's mostly the customers that call in that make the job so soul crushing.

11. Good entry level job

Current Employee - Remote Services Technician in Westfield, MA
    Current Employee - Remote Services Technician in Westfield, MA

I have been working at Support.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Save on gas. I like it because it works well with my full-time school schedule. Those are the real on pros.

Cons

Horrible pay, Promotions are not based on seniority, experience or qualifications. Tech job that is being filled with non-tech form readers.

Advice to Management

They should take care of their employees better and acknowledge them for outstanding performance. Everything is based on metrics and too many people know how to work the system.

RSS Feed </> Embed