Support.com

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.3

Elizabeth Cholawsky

Pros
  • Good to work for as an off-hours work from home gig to supplement other projects (in 200 reviews)

• Work from home, good training, decent pay for the position (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • com you're told you're lucky to have a job that allows you to work from home (in 20 reviews)

• No raises unless you get a promotion, and even then the raise amount is not that great (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Has advantages.

Current Employee - Remote Technician
    Current Employee - Remote Technician

I have been working at Support.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Who doesn't like a job where you can work in your PJs?! Granted I'm not saying you should, but I definitely did once. A job at Support.com does have advantages, all of which are in relation to the fact that you can work from home. In a sense, you can set your work environment, as long as it is quiet and free of distractions which is a beyond reasonable expectation. I was trained, training was paid, and they set reasonable expectations for us. I appreciated that I didn't have to drive to work on cold days especially.

A genuine effort is put forth to make it a decent work environment. Because you aren't in person with co-workers there are chat rooms which are nice. Most are strictly business, as they should be, but idle chat is allowed in team rooms if you aren't on call. Most people you'll work with are friendly and helpful. The three supervisors I had during my time there were always helpful and respectful. There is even a little internal social media site (think of it like a work approved facebook) ... not used too much it seems but the effort was definitely made.

Cons

- The health insurance could be better. I was expecting more but, hey you shouldn't get too sick or injured if you now spend a great deal of time at home, yeah? If not that then maybe have a bit higher pay. It isn't minimum wage, which is good, but could still be better. (They do give you a small percentage as tax free income to cover any tech expenses needed to perform work!)
    - Metrics. I don't like metrics. For those of you who have no idea what metrics are (like I didn't before working here), it is basically a grading for your service based on how long it takes and whether or not you use certain keywords during the call and what order its said in etc. The problem I have with metrics is that it isn't customer service geared and in some cases can hurt it. Part of these metrics is call handle time, a reasonable metric to have, however a bit flawed. NOTE: This may not even be exclusively an SDC thing but more to do with the company they offer their services out to, but either way worth mentioning. Doing your best for the customer can actually HURT you. Which seems a bit backward because, of course, you're in a customer service role.
    That isn't the worst part. Attendance is one of the metrics (as it should be, attendace on any job is important) but missing one day can basically send you to the oblivion in metrics. Just one day! I missed half a day because of no internet service, a legitimate reason for which there was no work around, and I still had to suffer a major loss in ranking. Yikes.
    - Some times it feels a lot less like a tech job, more of a mediator as many calls will be out of your ability to actually solve and you'll have to delegate (while also being at least subconsciously aware that the customer had been shuffled around because people were trying to watch their metrics).
    - Changes. I'm all for changes but to hear, in the middle of training, that the tools I was being taught to use would be out of use by the time I hit the floor was a little off putting. to not have the same kind of training for the tools that replaced them was more so. And apparently there's a new change at least twice a week. Too MANY changes, there needs to be some sort of feeling of consistency. Not only has the manner in which things are done changed many times since I've joined up, but also the things within my job description, and teammates and schedules. I'm adaptable but it can be a lot!
    - Oh. Schedules. About that. There IS some flexibility but uh you don't always have control on how it flexes. Meaning it can potentially hurt you. This is more of a problem of mine and most may not find this a con but do realize this the support dot com hours are 24/7 meaning that there is a large variable of start and end times. If you like your weekends or are envisioning average hours then be thoughtful. You won't be getting a graveyard shift as your very first shift (i think) but your shifts are determined by metrics so don't mess up!

None. I expect the efforts to add a work culture to SDC. I know it may not be easy to resolve metrics and in my case, the changes that are constantly happening are outside of the hands of Support.com and apply more to the company that we are servicing.

HNS

I have been working at Support.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Steady Work, new flex schedule is ok but not awesome. You will have one day off constant and the other will rotate between two days. You work from home.

Cons

This is not a good job for people who are not good with dealing with people who very upset.

The disorganization and policy changes kill the experience

I have been working at Support.com

Pros

You work at home with your own equipent.
    Kinda flexible work schedule.

Cons

Constant call audit changes and policy changes. The disorganization within company slows the process down with RST getting the worst end. Training was supremely outdated in terms of tools and policies. Training was only useful the last week of it when we had to actually take calls. Which none of my fellow trainees and myself were prepared for.

Decent work from home position

Current Employee - Remote Services Technician in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Remote Services Technician in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Support.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home, decent start pay, great training (my trainer at least), and generally overall a "ok" company to work for.

Basically just a good temporary job for less than 5 years to gain customer service, tech support, and call center experience...I will be looking to use my experience here to move on to another company soon.

Cons

No raises...Ever! Poor communication at times. Not good benefits at all...They do not even match a 401k plan.

Give raises!

Very grateful for the opportunity.

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer - Break Fix Team in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Solutions Engineer - Break Fix Team in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Support.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home was a challenge and made me more disciplined. However, I was given a great opportunity to see my daughter being born and to see her grow up for her first four years of her life. Support.com is very dynamic and great company. I was able to work for some specialized team such as the Sony support team. I had great supervisors and they tried to give some community aspects to our virtual office. Opportunity to earn some prices such as iPods were nice. Medical benefits and PTOs were good.

Cons

Opportunity for advancements were limited. Promises of bonus and raised were not always fulfilled. At that time we were getting paid more than 14 dollars an hours and I got a sense they did several big lay offs to get rid of these higher salary employees. They were quick on lowering the hiring salary to what you see today. Schedules were not flexible and we were at the mercy your performance and how nice the manager was.

Please be more clear on your goals. Apologized for promised not kept. Making you feel that this is not a career and the opportunity to earn a higher salary to improve your quality of life is not good. Not valuing the most important asset your employees can make this company the company not to work for.

Don't listen to the all the negative reviews. It is a great place.

Current Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Support.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home.
    No one looking over your shoulder all day long.
    Room to move up if you do your job well.
    Friendly, helpful co-workers, that want you to succeed.
    A team supervisor you can reach out to.
    Excellent Training and Trainers.

Cons

Constant changes, though par for the course.
    Policy changes with little or no warning.
    Negative co-workers.
    Flex scheduling.

Train on new policy and procedures.
    Raises every six months, even if it is a small one. Turn over rate ould most likely drop.

Inadequate training, inadequate pay and high stress

Former Employee - Remote Services Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Remote Services Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Support.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The obvious pro is that it's work-from-home. Plenty of OT available for those who want to work it. The benefits are okay, though they are changing significantly next year for the worse.

Cons

I was in training for the RST position, which does wireless internet support for Comcast. The training was four weeks of incredibly inadequate (one extra week is used for 'nesting' - which focuses on the RSTs taking calls with someone listening in to give them pointers and help). It focused on learning programs that were to be used to take payments from customers, which is something they are planning to add to the RST position (which was not communicated at any time during the interview process). More than a day of training was used to train on sales, which is ANOTHER thing they are planning to add - again with no prior communication of such. The worst part of the position is probably the lame points that Comcast requires each representative to hit. The calls aren't necessarily scripted, but the rep must say certain things or their metrics suffer. You are measured against your peers based on those metrics, which include things like call time and transfer rate. If you are low on metrics, you can guarantee that you will be stuck with the worst schedules. On the subject of schedules, they just began a new "flex" schedule system. This means that you will be given a schedule, but from week to week, the start/end time of your schedule may vary up to 1.5 hours based on the projected call volume. You will also have one locked day off. The other will be between two other days.
    The company is also 24/7/365, so you will never get a holiday off unless you happen to be scheduled for that day.
    I could go on and on. If you can deal with angry customers all day (and keep in mind that you CANNOT hang up on them, no matter how nasty they get with you or you will get in trouble) and want to do that for incredibly low pay, it might be the place for you. Otherwise keep looking.

Pay your employees more, give raises and train them adequately instead of giving them a glossed over version of training and then throwing them to the wolves. Communication is severely lacking in this company and would go a long way toward improving employee morale. Promote from within more often.

great company

Former Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Support.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great team and sups to work with and great trainers. :) It is a really great company to work for.

Cons

don't take the the higher insurance plan as that will cut your pay in half :( Pay is great without the insurance cutting in

get a better insurance provider with less rates

A great starter job to learn customer service and call center operations.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Support.com

Pros

Benefits and full-time employment with a minimum of education.

Cons

Flexible scheduling a bit difficult to adjust to. Also the schedules can change every 2weeks

Start paying your employees for performance.

Has advantages and disadvantages....

Former Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Support.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well the obvious one is the work from home. Benefits are decent. Medical/Dental/life/ESPP/ and so forth. Up to 32 hours of overtime available per week if you really want the extra $$

Cons

Well it starts out with the Client... Comcast... America's FAVORITE ISP. Now when it comes to call centers there are always things you are required to say or mention on a call, but Comcast goes OVERBOARD and focuses on everything BUT fixing the customer's issue with their internet. I CSR should not have to ramble on for 5+ minutes each call about random non-sense the customer doesn't care about nor want to hear. For anyone that has contacted comcast tech support and been transferred to "Wireless Gateway Support" you have a good idea of what I'm talking about.That's where it all begins.

Now for Support.com.... they love to change things non-stop with or without warning. Some stuff should require training which doesn't and instead at best is announced via a memo. The pay is either low or reasonable depending on your cost of living. For me it's about average for an entry level job in the door minus the commute. There not much opportunity for advancement nor pay increase. They keep on adding on more and more and more to the job responsibilities but the pay doesn't even go up a nickel. They can't seem to even keep enough staff to properly keep the place staffed during high volume times. They just changed from set schedules to flex schedules which is a pain and not even worth explaining it's such a joke.
    The moral of the RST's is so low right now everyone is turning to their don't give a damn attitude and the requirements set by the company both Support.com and the client (Comcast) are out of line and desperately need readjusted.

Glad to say I ditched this junk hole and am working for Apple now where they know how to run a company and care about their employees.

Listen to the employees and make adjustments to boost moral and stop your terrible turnover rate. MAKE UP YOUR MIND who does what job instead of cx's calling and talking to foreigners who hear the word "wireless" and a big buzzer goes off in their head to transfer without telling the customer who then of course arrives on my line angered to death, customers need to be directed STRAIGHT to whoever they need to talk to. Shouldn't need to be transferred 10 times because either A. a tier rep doesn't know or refuses to do their job and transferring to WGS can get them off the call or B. because there is no clear understanding of who does what between WGS and tier.

Support.com Photos