Sur La Table

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
2.8

Diane Neal

Pros
  • Great discount 40% I have to put 20 words in this section as Pros so I'm writing this (in 36 reviews)

• It's a friendly place with great products, nice stores and you do get an employee discount (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • This allows for the middle management team to look favorably in the eyes of the upper management (in 17 reviews)

• but then hired outside managers with little to no expertise in the market (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros

Coworkers, Discount, Contests and SPIFFs

Cons

Compensation, but no more so than other retail jobs

I was a seasonal sales representative at Sur La Table during two Christmases, while it was crazy busy it was also fun.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Store discounts made many products a lot more reasonable. I think our employee discount was about 20%
    Early shifts stocking shifts mean using the espresso machines to make yummy coffee
    You definitely learn how to quickly and beautifully wrap a present
    You learn a lot about kitchen gadgets.
    You sometimes get left overs from the cooking classes.
    Scheduling is usually pretty flexible.
    The store I worked at was very open to seasonal employment.

Cons

You are on your feet all day.
    Sometimes you have to get to work at 4:00am.
    Inventory days usually mean working an all nighter. (they do feed you though).
    Managers can be really hit or miss, some are great some are horrible.
    Sometimes it felt like there were too many managers.

I'd recommend pairing a new hire with an experienced employee during the first week or so. Having someone there to help would make a huge difference in confidence especially when you are still learning.

working here

Current Employee - Stock Associate in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (less than a year)

Pros

free samples fun demosratoin on how to use items great seasonal job employee discount are helpful when getting a gift or something for house great cook ware
    insurance steady income job

Cons

Sometimes tough to get hours only work one day a week no overtime

This store (River Oaks) is not run well as it lacks cleanliness, order, and direction.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The variety of merchandise is nice.

Cons

The store is dirty. It isn't dusted often enough (if at all.) Various areas of the store are not cleaned well, including the coffee area. I do not recommend tasting any coffee products at the River Oaks location. The water you drink may have come from the bathroom sink and the milk frother may have been rinsed in the same sink. Assistant managers have bad attitudes and talk negatively about management among themselves and with staff.

Purchase proper cleaning supplies. Strengthen rapport among staff. Get control of scheduling. Don't clean anything in the bathroom. Don't get water for coffee machines from the bathroom. Don't rinse anything in the bathroom. Learn how to properly clean a bathroom. Get water from the kitchen; it's a kitchen. Have an updated staff contact list.

Not and easy job, but manager can make or break the experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount great. Lots of free coffee. Cooking classes. I have worked under two different store managers since the store opened, and the first one was erratic, irrational, and a megalomania who exerted her will on every single issue, but ended up being wrong on most of them. The new store manager can have an occasional moment of anger, but is actually extremely even keeled, fair, and actually seems to care. Be prepared for whoever your store manager or assistant managers are, because they can make a huge difference.

Cons

- lack of hours
    - last minute changes
    - lots of work without support

Trust in your managers and associates. They can get the job done if you just give them the tools and gameplan upfront.

SLT treats KAs like they are illegal workers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Free food(?)
    Good discount (%40)
    Good people (except the management)

Cons

Horrible management, horrible compensation. They don't appreciate your effort.

Job not as described

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

The discount is great (40% off regular priced items), and most of the people are really nice, friendly, and highly educated (most of my coworkers had at least bachelors degrees, if not masters). If I wanted to work only one or two shifts a week, they would allow it (getting more than 20 hours a week can be an issue).

Cons

As kitchen assistant, I thought I would be helping teach and assist customers with the classes. I ended up just washing dishes. They hire on too educated of people to have them just wash dishes by hand (not even in a dishwasher)!

My chef was also very disorganized and anal all at the same time. He would talk down to his staff and came off as if he was superior to us all. In actuality, he had less culinary training/knowledge than many of the people who worked for him. On top of this, he would get mad at the kitchen assistants for not supposedly not working hard enough or caring. (Making minimum wage, having an advanced degree, and getting belittled...there is little incentive to work hard.).

There was also pressure to skip the fifteen minute breaks.