Sur La Table Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Diane Neal

Pros
  • Great discount 40% I have to put 20 words in this section as Pros so I'm writing this (in 36 reviews)

• And you do get an employee discount (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • This allows for the middle management team to look favorably in the eyes of the upper management (in 17 reviews)

• but then hired outside managers with little to no expertise in the market (in 8 reviews)

Great company with a few issues to sort out.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The staff tend to be very knowledgeable, and at the time when I worked there, were truly empowered to do whatever it took to make certain customers had a great experience. This was my favorite thing about this company.

Cons

The direction of the company changes often, and you should be prepared to deal with that. One moment, gift registry was the most important metric in the world, the next moment it was completely forgotten in favor of customer email collection, which is quickly forgotten in favor of cooking class sign-ups. It's difficult to keep up with what is the important metric from week to week.

Advice to Management

Set a course and ride it out. Your team supports you but constant changes in company direction have shaken their faith in leadership. This is a problem that should be easy to fix by the new leadership.

DON'T BOTHER! BAD COMPANY! TURNOVER WAY TOO HIGH

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

THEY'RE ARE NONE! BAD COMPANY TO WORK FOR! YOUR BETTER OFF AT K-MART!

Cons

The D.ms instruct the managers to cut hours on a daily basis. Nothing is ever stable when it come to hours. They change our schedules and never tell us. The Managers aren't allowed to call employees to inform them of the changes. We have to call on our time off to find out what we are working. This company is FAILING TO to provide advance notice to an employee of scheduling changes can be required to pay for "reporting time." Furthermore, California law imposes strict requirements on employers who adopt alternative workweek policies, and employers cannot adopt these policies without providing advance notice to their employees of their scheduling changes. THIS COMPANY IS NOT COMPLYING TO THIS LABOR LAWS WHATSOEVER. They are worried about numbers and productivity.

Advice to Management

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER ON HOW TO RUN A COMPANY. IT SEEMS THAT THE CRAZIES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM.

Great co-workers!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

Great employee discount but can't buy it if you work here for a living. Out of several places I have worked at, this place had the most intelligent/efficient co-workers. So it was easy to communicate, ask for help, etc.

Cons

This is specifically about the location I was in, so I do not think this applies to all stores. Management-level employees were all about gossip. Talked bad about co-workers, and manipulated a lot of the new staff. It was painful to watch. I wish I could have contacted upper-management about this.

Advice to Management

N/A

5. Really nice place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, but if you give your availability be prepared for them to take every chance to schedule you. They give 15 minute breaks if you work over 4.5 hours, and an unpaid 30 minute lunch if you work over 5 hours I think.

Cons

I was basically assigned to register and only register. I rarely got to walk around and really explore the store. Hard to get a vacation during seasonal time because obviously you're a seasonal employee

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! You guys are great!

6. Seasonal employee

Current Employee - Seasonal Worker in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Worker in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, friendly co-workers, nice clientele. Fun way to make a few extra bucks for the holidays while enjoying the employee discount.

Cons

Stock room is way too small for constantly arriving shipments.

Fun and dynamic working environment, helping customers with all of their culinary needs

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate about cooking and the products they sell, great training, emphasis on teamwork, compensation, good employee discount

Cons

focus on selling, holiday hours, lack of new product training

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy cooking, its great

Cons

Constant pushing to achieve sales goals that leads to pressured customers who are not too happy with the sales pressure.

Advice to Management

Set customer satisfaction a true goal rather than sales at any cost.

Run Away. Be afraid; be very afraid.

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had some wonderful coworkers. 40% discount on non-sale items. Did I mention the discount? Highly qualified part time chefs.

Cons

Because employees are part time, the supervisors think the underlings should be virtually on-call. Although no one on earth can afford to live off of what SLT pays, management doesn't seem to factor in that employees need their schedules to coordinate with other obligations (Job #2 and #3/School/Family). Sketchy attitude about breaks. Kitchen Assistants are paid the worst hourly wage possible under State law, whether or not they have extensive experience. Four Resident Chefs in two years. Unprofessional, disrespectful supervisors who have no experience with people; some have no experience with cooking or teaching cooking.

Advice to Management

While Jack Schwefel is the CEO, don't be fooled into thinking this is a Mom and Pop organization. SLT is owned by Investcorp, a multinational investment fund. Given the fact that the bad management stayed that way for the entire two years I worked there, I can only assume that Management likes the way the Sur La Table train wreck functions, so I won't waste any breath on advice to management.

Needs to get their act together before becoming irrelevant

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great customers, great employees, nice products

Cons

Hours cut across board every week. No directive for new products placement, no time allocated for given tasks, to keep store clean, with the inclusion of sell sell sell!! Unrealistic daily expectations. Infrastructure is 10yrs old. Company can't even market themselves properly constantly mixed up with WS. Name recognition very low.

Advice to Management

Change before you guys are the same as the local supermarkets' kitchen aisle. Well trained employees help make the sales not the products. The customers always ask to be educated on even the most basic items. Visual team should be realistic (no PS) and organized. new products should be given placement. De-clutter your shelves & stack-outs (too much distraction), customers always walk past the products they came in for.

11. Overall good company to work for.

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount on product once you are a full employee. 40% off of everything.

Cons

Folding towels and napkins. You get them all done and have to do them all over again the next day.

Advice to Management

Get a new computer system. With people being technologically advanced in today's market, the POS system is outdated and difficult to work with (takes too much time). Additionally, while I understood capturing customer data, it was pushed so hard that I became a robot so that I didn't forget to ask for something. Maybe find an easier way or loosen up on those standards. Concentrate on being "THE" source for kitchenware knowledge and expertise.

RSS Feed </> Embed