Sur La Table

Sur La Table CEO Jack Schwefel

Jack Schwefel

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work place!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Newport Beach, CA

ProsAwesome coworkers annd managers. Incredible discount!!!

ConsNot many hours after the holidays and peak season.

Great crew to work with

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsPeople and customers wonderful
    Great Discount

ConsSometimes tough to get hours
    Raises are small

Fantastic Company and a great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Discount, Love Cooking, great People

ConsSur La Table has a a very fast paced work environment. It's intense.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good company to work for.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

ProsGreat discount on product once you are a full employee. 40% off of everything.

ConsFolding towels and napkins. You get them all done and have to do them all over again the next day.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new computer system. With people being technologically advanced in today's market, the POS system is outdated and difficult to work with (takes too much time).

Additionally, while I understood capturing customer data, it was pushed so hard that I became a robot so that I didn't forget to ask for something. Maybe find an easier way or loosen up on those standards. Concentrate on being "THE" source for kitchenware knowledge and expertise.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great for job for those who love to cook or entertain and aren't seeking full-time employment

Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsMost who work at Sur La Table share interest in cooking and food; on-going education - not necessarily provided by company, but by exposure to customers' needs; the discount makes more expensive items accessible

ConsHard to get enough hours - impossible to support self on income, need 40 hours to qualify to receive benefits. If not a cook it may take a longer time to learn about all the products.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the number of hours and traffic flow an employee works when measuring sales success; make sure middle management knows how to support and motivate staff.

likeable staff

Stock Associate (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsNice people, low key atmosphere

ConsI'm doing part-time restocking and the palce is a bit of a mess except for in the store itself.

Needs to get their act together before becoming irrelevant

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat customers, great employees, nice products

ConsHours cut across board every week. No directive for new products placement, no time allocated for given tasks, to keep store clean, with the inclusion of sell sell sell!! Unrealistic daily expectations. Infrastructure is 10yrs old. Company can't even market themselves properly constantly mixed up with WS. Name recognition very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange before you guys are the same as the local supermarkets' kitchen aisle. Well trained employees help make the sales not the products. The customers always ask to be educated on even the most basic items. Visual team should be realistic (no PS) and organized. new products should be given placement. De-clutter your shelves & stack-outs (too much distraction), customers always walk past the products they came in for.

Unfair Management Practices

Floor Lead (Current Employee)
    Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

ProsKnowledgeable sales staff. Great customers and wonderful porducts and good values.

ConsAs an employee of Sur la Table, though I am one of the "chosen few", I myself have been berated and embarrassed by my manager more than once on the floor, in front of other employees, and customers. Although it was a shocking experience, I came to realize that this is the typical treatment of employees by the management. I witnessed this happeingin to other employees, and in fact, to my own assistant manager by the store manager and to the store manager by the district manager. I began to realize it's akin to a dysfunctional family and realizing the corporate culture of Sur la Table involved such distasteful behavior, I decided that my talents would serve better to another company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSur la Table is fortunate to hire employees (comprised mostly of customers) who have a creative passion for food, cooking, cookware and the myriad of accoutrement that entails; mostly because they don't really train their staff. It will be an unfortunate end however; when those employees (customers) become so disenchanted with the treatment they receive from management that they leave their employment and vow to shop exclusively at cooking.com and Williams Sonoma and the many other cooking supply stores that offer the same merchandise without the drama.

Great discount, but don't expect to get very many hours consistently

Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe customers can be great to talk to and help. Some wonderful people work there. You can learn a lot about cooking.

ConsThe management is very inconsistent. Some rules apply to only some employees and not others. New rules are not always posted. You are asked to be available to their needs and you never know how many hours you will be given week to week.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit your stores more often and talk to the employees on the sales floor and ask them what's going on in the store. Show up unannounced when you visit and have a look at what the store is like before we have a chance to make it nice for a corp visit,

Destructive Management Style

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsInteresting customers
    Learn a great deal from customers
    40% discount on regular priced items
    Many of the co-workers are really nice

ConsManagement, which includes the District Manager, do not care about the employees, its all about reports. Long term employees are not respected. There is no recognition of employees strengths or accomplishments unless you are among the chosen few. Holiday hiring a disaster-hours are kept mainly for the temp workers who are also paid a higher hourly salary. Those employees with product knowledge are pressured to sell, sell, sell while the temps are on the registers. So different expectations, different salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the review dated 5/20/10 "Some reasons to work for Williams and Sonoma instead of Sur La Table". Clueless management don't know how to keep good employees.

Worked for Sur La Table? Contribute to the Community!

Sur La Table Videos

Sur La Table – Why Work for Us?

​​ In 1972, the first Sur La Table opened its doors in Seattle's Pike Place Market. Everyone from novice home cooks to professional chefs found a surprising selection of culinary tools from around the world—with plenty… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sur La Table reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sur La Table CEO Jack Schwefel. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Sur La Table employees.