Sur La Table Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
2.6

Diane Neal

Pros
  • Great discount 40% I have to put 20 words in this section as Pros so I'm writing this (in 39 reviews)

• It's a friendly place with great products, nice stores and you do get an employee discount (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • This allows for the middle management team to look favorably in the eyes of the upper management (in 17 reviews)

• but then hired outside managers with little to no expertise in the market (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work place!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers annd managers. Incredible discount!!!

Cons

Not many hours after the holidays and peak season.

Great crew to work with

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

People and customers wonderful
    Great Discount

Cons

Sometimes tough to get hours
    Raises are small

Fantastic Company and a great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Great Discount, Love Cooking, great People

Cons

Sur La Table has a a very fast paced work environment. It's intense.

Fun and dynamic working environment, helping customers with all of their culinary needs

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Passionate about cooking and the products they sell, great training, emphasis on teamwork, compensation, good employee discount

Cons

focus on selling, holiday hours, lack of new product training

Overall good company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount on product once you are a full employee. 40% off of everything.

Cons

Folding towels and napkins. You get them all done and have to do them all over again the next day.

Get a new computer system. With people being technologically advanced in today's market, the POS system is outdated and difficult to work with (takes too much time).

Additionally, while I understood capturing customer data, it was pushed so hard that I became a robot so that I didn't forget to ask for something. Maybe find an easier way or loosen up on those standards. Concentrate on being "THE" source for kitchenware knowledge and expertise.

Great for job for those who love to cook or entertain and aren't seeking full-time employment

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Most who work at Sur La Table share interest in cooking and food; on-going education - not necessarily provided by company, but by exposure to customers' needs; the discount makes more expensive items accessible

Cons

Hard to get enough hours - impossible to support self on income, need 40 hours to qualify to receive benefits. If not a cook it may take a longer time to learn about all the products.

Consider the number of hours and traffic flow an employee works when measuring sales success; make sure middle management knows how to support and motivate staff.

likeable staff

Current Employee - Stock Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, low key atmosphere

Cons

I'm doing part-time restocking and the palce is a bit of a mess except for in the store itself.

Needs to get their act together before becoming irrelevant

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great customers, great employees, nice products

Cons

Hours cut across board every week. No directive for new products placement, no time allocated for given tasks, to keep store clean, with the inclusion of sell sell sell!! Unrealistic daily expectations. Infrastructure is 10yrs old. Company can't even market themselves properly constantly mixed up with WS. Name recognition very low.

Change before you guys are the same as the local supermarkets' kitchen aisle. Well trained employees help make the sales not the products. The customers always ask to be educated on even the most basic items. Visual team should be realistic (no PS) and organized. new products should be given placement. De-clutter your shelves & stack-outs (too much distraction), customers always walk past the products they came in for.

Unfair Management Practices

Current Employee - Floor Lead in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Floor Lead in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros

Knowledgeable sales staff. Great customers and wonderful porducts and good values.

Cons

As an employee of Sur la Table, though I am one of the "chosen few", I myself have been berated and embarrassed by my manager more than once on the floor, in front of other employees, and customers. Although it was a shocking experience, I came to realize that this is the typical treatment of employees by the management. I witnessed this happeingin to other employees, and in fact, to my own assistant manager by the store manager and to the store manager by the district manager. I began to realize it's akin to a dysfunctional family and realizing the corporate culture of Sur la Table involved such distasteful behavior, I decided that my talents would serve better to another company.

Sur la Table is fortunate to hire employees (comprised mostly of customers) who have a creative passion for food, cooking, cookware and the myriad of accoutrement that entails; mostly because they don't really train their staff. It will be an unfortunate end however; when those employees (customers) become so disenchanted with the treatment they receive from management that they leave their employment and vow to shop exclusively at cooking.com and Williams Sonoma and the many other cooking supply stores that offer the same merchandise without the drama.

Great discount, but don't expect to get very many hours consistently

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros

The customers can be great to talk to and help. Some wonderful people work there. You can learn a lot about cooking.

Cons

The management is very inconsistent. Some rules apply to only some employees and not others. New rules are not always posted. You are asked to be available to their needs and you never know how many hours you will be given week to week.

Visit your stores more often and talk to the employees on the sales floor and ask them what's going on in the store. Show up unannounced when you visit and have a look at what the store is like before we have a chance to make it nice for a corp visit,