Sur La Table Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
229 reviews filtered by
2.9
Diane Neal

Pros
  • Great discount 40% I have to put 20 words in this section as Pros so I'm writing this (in 36 reviews)

• It's a friendly place with great products, nice stores and you do get an employee discount (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • This allows for the middle management team to look favorably in the eyes of the upper management (in 17 reviews)

• but then hired outside managers with little to no expertise in the market (in 8 reviews)

At first it is great, after a few months it goes south

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (less than a year)

Pros

40% discount off all items, flexible shifts, relatively easy workload. $9.75 an hour wage

Cons

Consistently refuse any time-off without reason or notice, will amend shifts without notice. Management play favorites in regards to hours allocated to each individual and time-off requests. Guaranteed zero hours per week. Pressure to collect emails for coporate is silly, and to sell high priced items such as vitamix, wuhstof and Jura so management looks good to corporate.

Regain control of management in its entirety and stop allowing them to play favorites and take sides. They are supposed to be leaders.

Working at this company was great until management turned over.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The perks are great here

Cons

training standards and provided workshop frequency has gone down in the past few years.

A extensive crash course in retail management and sales in which I was fortunate to work very close with role models.

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Houston, TX

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing store level management in Texas with healthy, refined, and personable sales teams all dedicated to the passion art and soul of cooking... and food.

Cons

Corporate-level management shows constant signs of being handicapped by an unrealistic vision of the pros & cons of complete uniformity amongst every store.

Stay realistic and go back to your founding principles that built the company from the ground up to nearly 100 stores. Stop listening to share holders that are only profit driven and are destroying the brand, the employees, and the 'life long customers' who were so dedicated & loyal.

5. Pretty Okay for Retail

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros

Okay pay, reasonable hours, nice discount on full priced items

Cons

No discount on sale items, not enough hours sometimes, KAs make way less than retail

6. I loved working at the warehouse at SLT.

Former Employee - Warehouse Retail- Picking in Brownsburg, IN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Retail- Picking in Brownsburg, IN

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was easy, the managers were flexible, you got to listen to your own music, the break room was better stocked than any other warehouse I've been to. You get quite a workout. I most definitely lost quite a bit of weight and my stomach became toned. I enjoyed working there because I got solitude or the ability to work with others and help other people out when they didn't understand something. The paid breaks was another perk, so I didn't have to worry about being behind- I could catch up if I were running behind during my break. If you're going pretty well, you could be moved to other aisles to help catch other stores up. Even as a seasonal worker, you still get company insurance. HR was always a pleasure to talk to, and when I had to resign, they didn't seem ill about it at all. I will definitely be coming back next peak season. (Hiring starting around August)

Cons

Honestly, there were no challenges. Some gossip does happen, but it's very easy to avoid if you don't talk about other people and you keep your business to yourself. If one person hears it, many more most likely will eventually.

When running through peak season, please keep a consistent end- of- the- day goal. My shift lead would try to balance out the shipment orders and have the shifts evened out, and often we'd have the goal move down, so when expected to leave after two stores, three more are added on. Or having the order list cut early, and surprisingly being told that we can go home. It's a nice surprise, but having a ride that was a half hour away to come and get me and drop me off, it was difficult to plan the timing to have them come and get me. That was the only inconsistent thing at Sur La Table.

Poor training, no hours, poor management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

The employee discount is generous... another pro would be that clocking in was technologically easy. That's it.

Cons

There is no training plan. The expectation is set that you're supposed to be able to sell a $900 pot set or $2000 espresso machine but there is very little training on the product itself. How would someone sell something they know nothing about??
    Another con would be that there is a serious lack in teamwork and team cohesiveness. No team-building exercises and there is a serious lack in morale. No fun at all.
    They over staff which means that there are very few hours to be given. Is this a way to keep everyone super part time and not have to pay for benefits? That would be my guess.

Invest in a training program!
    Do some team building exercises to boost morale on a regular basis.
    Hire fewer people, set higher expectations of the people you hire and invest in your team.

8. Okay summer job, if you can get the hours

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice store atmosphere for anyone interested in cooking or baking, etc.

Cons

High turnover rate among both sales associates and managers. Didn't always give give breaks in an organized manner.

9. Fun place to work

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The working atmosphere is amazing, from the products we offer to my co-workers --they all have a positive attitude and are super friendly.

Cons

Closing coffee --too much cleanup of little parts.

10. Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros

Employee discount is amazing, co-workers are all excellent

Cons

It is a retail job, so dealing with people isn't so great

11. OK company for part-timers

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent discount, great products, tons of opportunities to win/earn free products, flexible work schedule, opportunity for growth, great support from Corporate HR. I wouldn't suggest devoting 40 hours a week to a retail position, but definitely at the corporate level.

Cons

Little to no room for creativity for Resident Chefs & Chef Instructors. Menus for Cooking Classes are 100% determined by Corporate with menus that have not been tested by anyone prior to being sent out. Poor management in retail locations.

Keep a close eye on how management in your retail locations are treating hourly employees. On that note, the HR team at Corporate Headquarters was very supportive - it was refreshing.

Maybe allow some creativity input from individual stores with cooking classes - perhaps create regional menus.