Sur La Table Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Diane Neal

Pros
  • Great discount 40% I have to put 20 words in this section as Pros so I'm writing this (in 36 reviews)

• And you do get an employee discount (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • This allows for the middle management team to look favorably in the eyes of the upper management (in 17 reviews)

• but then hired outside managers with little to no expertise in the market (in 8 reviews)

Sometimes confusing

Current Employee - Resident Chef in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Resident Chef in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sur La Table full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, potential room for growth, using all the tools from retail, meeting vendors. Discount, discount, discount. Customers who come to take classes are awesome!

Cons

Management is a mess. Company is completely disorganized. Upper management is old school and needs to be replaced for the most part

Advice to Management

Please think about it.

Kitchen Assistant

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Money, there isn't much else opportunity here, if you are a people person then you will be happy here.

Cons

slave labor, chefs did not help, they left as fast as they could, A/C always broken

Advice to Management

Team work goes a long way

3. Uninspiring place to work

I worked at Sur La Table part-time

Pros

Employee discount and exposure to interesting cooking gadgets

Cons

Low pay, entitled management, no respect from assistant manager

5. Sales Associate

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros

The products are fun and the customers for the most part are pleasant

Cons

I wish that corporate cared more about their employees. They treat us like we are 100% expendable. They have given us zero incentive to care as to whether or not the store succeeds. There is no opportunity for growth within the company. I have worked there less than a year and have seen the entire staff been replaced twice, the majority of whom have left as they were not getting promoted. Having worked there one year I have only gotten a 3cents raise and was denied for a promotion twice, without having been given a clear reason.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, especially at the sales level. No one knows the company better than the people who are in the trenches doing the work every day. Ask us how we think the company can be improved, because we may actually have some valid ideas on how to improve sales.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Part-timeemployee
    Former Employee - Part-timeemployee

I worked at Sur La Table part-time

Pros

Great place to work! Fun co-workers, great products, awesome employee discount

Cons

Scheduling--they can let you know 30 minutes before the end of the first portion of your shift if you will have to stay for the "on call" shift.

Advice to Management

Change your scheduling protocol. It stinks not knowing if you will have to stay on or if you will be able to leave

7. Great people in store

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Everyone that worked there was fantastic

Cons

the in store management team was excellent. All other management questionable.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Kitchen Assistant and Sales Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Potential for promotion. Professional people can climb the management ladder in sales and even unqualified kitchen assistants can become Chef Instructors.

40% off products

Cons

Scheduling- all the non-managers are part-timers, they get the schedule released a few days before the schedule is to start, being expected to turn down other work while they wait for it, all for a few hours a week of work that is not guaranteed and varies from week to week; and in the kitchen showing up to a shift the manager has decided to cancel without telling you and not paying you for it is an occasional occurence; there are probably illegal labor practices going on here

Pay increases- no such thing in the kitchen, I was specifically and purposefully lied to about the promise of wage increases on several occasions, due to a company policy of giving wage increases to employees with good reviews, managers purposefully mark down reviews, one told me she'd been told to do this, and the pay is low

Demoralizing policies- as a sales associate there is no end to the creative new ideas management will come up with in terms of new guidelines/rules for how to talk customers into buying gimicky products they don't need

Advice to Management

N/A: There's no incentive to treat employees better when its an employers market.

9. Great company, great people

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros

Great company, great people, great product. A real team environment in our district. I feel valued by my boss.

Cons

The Pay could be better.

Great company with a few issues to sort out.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The staff tend to be very knowledgeable, and at the time when I worked there, were truly empowered to do whatever it took to make certain customers had a great experience. This was my favorite thing about this company.

Cons

The direction of the company changes often, and you should be prepared to deal with that. One moment, gift registry was the most important metric in the world, the next moment it was completely forgotten in favor of customer email collection, which is quickly forgotten in favor of cooking class sign-ups. It's difficult to keep up with what is the important metric from week to week.

Advice to Management

Set a course and ride it out. Your team supports you but constant changes in company direction have shaken their faith in leadership. This is a problem that should be easy to fix by the new leadership.

11. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Providence, RI

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job, strong support, motivational and helpful management

Cons

Pay isn't great, but hell, it's retail

Advice to Management

Give raises to your high performers

RSS Feed </> Embed