SureWest Communications

Updated September 24, 2014
4.1

SureWest Communications President, CEO, and Director Steve Oldham
Steve Oldham

I enjoyed having the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the growth and success of the enterprise

I have been working at SureWest Communications

Pros

expansive responsibilities for growth. I had the ability to create, implement a sales structure that was most conducive to drive high results.

Cons

Not all of my functional peers were completely support of our efforts

Ensure that functional leaders are all tied to the same objectives in effort to eliminate competing priorities

Programmer Analyst - Contractor

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Roseville, CA

I have been working at SureWest Communications as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours and arrangements. Excellent co-workers. All IT personnel were highly trained and more than willing to help out during projects and production support events. All team members pulled their own weight during projects and were all team players. Even though I was a contractor, I was treated as if I was en employee.

Cons

The facilities in the older building were much better than where we ended up at after the move. In an effort to cut cost, there was a lot of streamlining and as a result, we had to move locations. The new location does not facilitate efficiencies as it is an older location and parking is very difficult at times.

My direct manager and his manager were absolutely superb. Could not ask for a better boss.

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I worked at SureWest Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and start a career. Also opportunity to move within company to try out other jobs. Great resources available.

Cons

A little old school, male dominated and tightknit.

The Company Plays Politics in a Bad Way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I worked at SureWest Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people were friendly enough. Most came from the Roseville area and were a tight-knit group. I worked there for 6 years and met some great people.

The company does support taking time off. No one ever discouraged you from taking a vacation or taking time off to care for sick children. Quite the opposite.

Cons

The company engaged in some of the worst internal politics that I have ever seen. I worked there for 6 years and had to get out. If you weren't in a clique, you didn't have any opportunity to move up. The company had a written policy of being very accepting of cross-department transfers and training, but in actuality and real-world policy, this did not happen. I would avoid working for this company until they can fix their internal structure.

The pay increase was also terrible. They underpay their staff and try to avoid giving out pay raises, even when employees are given yearly reviews where their manager states they are exceeding expectations in all areas.

Have an open door policy that is actually enforced. There's quite a few managers there that put on a front to their bosses, but don't actually use that policy with the people under them. In other words, they pretend to follow corporate policy to their bosses, but they don't actually follow it. Senior management was ignorant of what was going on in the lower ranks.

Great people and great benefits

Former Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Roseville, CA

I worked at SureWest Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best benefits I've ever had with a company.

Free 50/50 internet, all TV channels in HD in 4 rooms, and unlimited telephone.

Free gym membership to any gym of your choosing.

Great health, vision and dental benefits.

Very involved with the local community (e.g. SureWest Foundation)

Cons

Company was purchased by Consolidated. Personnel loss and changes in the company.

Don't take away the great benefits. Do not become Comcast and start out sourcing work.

Sadly times are changing...

Current Employee - Manager in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Roseville, CA

I have been working at SureWest Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Salary in alignment with most other organizations. Works is mostly entertaining - and at times challenging.

Cons

New owners, old ideas. The new owners are roughly 7-12 years behind the times on technology, customer service, and inter-company relationships. The overall feeling between most internal organizations are adversarial and not productive to success. While this feeling permeates from the lower level employees - you have to assume this behavior is not only tolerated but encouraged by the mid/senior level managers.

Might be time to haul out some dead wood and start over..

SureWest is a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I worked at SureWest Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work/ company culture is awesome.
    People are wonderful, friendly, and helpful.
    Benefits are the best I have seen, monthly child care credit.
    Pay is at the top of the industry.
    Company Beliefs

Cons

Company has been acquired by Consolidated Communications, work environment is changing.

Follow SureWest's culture and beliefs, employees will stay happy

Changing company.

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Roseville, CA

I worked at SureWest Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, location, family oriented, benefits. The company is involved in a lot of local charitible organizations and contributes to the community.

Cons

Some upper management struggled in letting go of the "Roseville Telephone" mentallity. Legacy employees were often bitter about changes, not realizing how great the company is compared to the "real" world having been with the same company all their lives.

Plant Service Technician

Former Employee - Plant Service Technician I in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Plant Service Technician I in Sacramento, CA

I worked at SureWest Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work independently.
    Work with great people.
    Great benefits.
    Great corporate culture.
    Good work/life balance.
    Entry-level to high mod-level management is trust worthy (i.e. the managers you are most likely to deal with.)

Cons

Work in all kinds of weather.
    Work in homes that vary greatly in terms of cleanliness (some people are pigs)
    Work on Saturdays on a rotational basis if you do not have adequate seniority.
    Recently bought by Consolidate Communications who started off their relationship with their newly acquired company (Surewest) with lies and massive layoffs.

Don't let Consolidated Communications (new owners) completely strangle the Surewest culture. It was the culture that I valued most about this employer and Consolidated has started things off on the wrong foot. At least I got an awesome severance package and I'm not around to see that culture flounder and die. The former CEO, Steve Oldham, sold this company off to his USTA buddy, leaving a bunch of employees hung out to dry while he got a serious golden handshake.

Trying to overcome old school ways to be a more cutting edge company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I have been working at SureWest Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management was open to culture ideas and programs
    Flexible telecommute program
    Great co-workers

Cons

Too many obstacles to overcome to get things done fast
    Needed more strong executive team members (some were very good, but not enough were)

Get out and about with employees more.