SureWest Communications

SureWest Communications President, CEO, and Director Steve Oldham

Steve Oldham

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Roseville, CA

ProsGreat opportunity to learn and start a career. Also opportunity to move within company to try out other jobs. Great resources available.

ConsA little old school, male dominated and tightknit.

Great people and great benefits

Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee) Roseville, CA

ProsThe best benefits I've ever had with a company.

Free 50/50 internet, all TV channels in HD in 4 rooms, and unlimited telephone.

Free gym membership to any gym of your choosing.

Great health, vision and dental benefits.

Very involved with the local community (e.g. SureWest Foundation)

ConsCompany was purchased by Consolidated. Personnel loss and changes in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take away the great benefits. Do not become Comcast and start out sourcing work.

Changing company.

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Roseville, CA

ProsFlexibility, location, family oriented, benefits. The company is involved in a lot of local charitible organizations and contributes to the community.

ConsSome upper management struggled in letting go of the "Roseville Telephone" mentallity. Legacy employees were often bitter about changes, not realizing how great the company is compared to the "real" world having been with the same company all their lives.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Plant Service Technician

Plant Service Technician I (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsWork independently.
    Work with great people.
    Great benefits.
    Great corporate culture.
    Good work/life balance.
    Entry-level to high mod-level management is trust worthy (i.e. the managers you are most likely to deal with.)

ConsWork in all kinds of weather.
    Work in homes that vary greatly in terms of cleanliness (some people are pigs)
    Work on Saturdays on a rotational basis if you do not have adequate seniority.
    Recently bought by Consolidate Communications who started off their relationship with their newly acquired company (Surewest) with lies and massive layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let Consolidated Communications (new owners) completely strangle the Surewest culture. It was the culture that I valued most about this employer and Consolidated has started things off on the wrong foot. At least I got an awesome severance package and I'm not around to see that culture flounder and die. The former CEO, Steve Oldham, sold this company off to his USTA buddy, leaving a bunch of employees hung out to dry while he got a serious golden handshake.

A company that cares about it's customers and employees.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a great company with amazing benefits. While it can't afford to match market expectations for salary, it more than makes up for with a 6% 401(k) match, daycare assistance, paid gym memberships, and frequent team builders to keep the "family" atmosphere alive. The corporate culture is unlike anything I have ever experienced.

ConsMany bottlenecks within the company. I have found that there are many positions that the company is heavily reliant upon, but there is only one or two people who can perform the tasks. If the people within these positions take time off, things seem to come to a stand still.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

They are excellent employers and treat their employees with respect.

Installation Technician (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsCompetitive Pay. Salary increases yearly. Ability to grow within the company. Great family type atmosphere amongst their employees. They hold several community carnivals.

ConsMust start working on Saturdays for installers. Equipment check in can be a pain. May need to go into dirty crawl spaces without seeing whats inside.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there is an employees interested in moving to provisioning or to I.T., I would provide them with some training.

Brief

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Roseville, CA

Proseverything, pay, benefits, people, small company

Conssmall company, too many employees, sometimes get stuck in old habits

Advice to Senior Managementgrow quicker with reduing headcount

Sadly times are changing...

Manager (Current Employee) Roseville, CA

ProsFlexible schedule. Salary in alignment with most other organizations. Works is mostly entertaining - and at times challenging.

ConsNew owners, old ideas. The new owners are roughly 7-12 years behind the times on technology, customer service, and inter-company relationships. The overall feeling between most internal organizations are adversarial and not productive to success. While this feeling permeates from the lower level employees - you have to assume this behavior is not only tolerated but encouraged by the mid/senior level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMight be time to haul out some dead wood and start over..

SureWest is a great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Roseville, CA

ProsThe work/ company culture is awesome.
    People are wonderful, friendly, and helpful.
    Benefits are the best I have seen, monthly child care credit.
    Pay is at the top of the industry.
    Company Beliefs

ConsCompany has been acquired by Consolidated Communications, work environment is changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow SureWest's culture and beliefs, employees will stay happy

Extensive experience in operations support and engineering of both TDM and Metro Ethernet optical networks.

Senior Network Services Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsAbility to work in a small, close knit team to create and implement solutions to network issues.
    Company culture makes coming to work more pleasurable.

ConsHome-grown database solutions tend to be cumbersome at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on development of interacvtive database solutions to effectively address specific work group criteria and facilitate productivity..

Worked for SureWest Communications? Contribute to the Community!