SureWest Communications

SureWest Communications President, CEO, and Director Steve Oldham

Steve Oldham

Great company

Roseville, CA

ProsGreat opportunity to learn and start a career. Also opportunity to move within company to try out other jobs. Great resources available.

ConsA little old school, male dominated and tightknit.

The Company Plays Politics in a Bad Way

Roseville, CA

ProsThe people were friendly enough. Most came from the Roseville area and were a tight-knit group. I worked there for 6 years and met some great people.

The company does support taking time off. No one ever discouraged you from taking a vacation or taking time off to care for sick children. Quite the opposite.

ConsThe company engaged in some of the worst internal politics that I have ever seen. I worked there for 6 years and had to get out. If you weren't in a clique, you didn't have any opportunity to move up. The company had a written policy of being very accepting of cross-department transfers and training, but in actuality and real-world policy, this did not happen. I would avoid working for this company until they can fix their internal structure.

The pay increase was also terrible. They underpay their staff and try to avoid giving out pay raises, even when employees are given yearly reviews where their manager states they are exceeding expectations in all areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an open door policy that is actually enforced. There's quite a few managers there that put on a front to their bosses, but don't actually use that policy with the people under them. In other words, they pretend to follow corporate policy to their bosses, but they don't actually follow it. Senior management was ignorant of what was going on in the lower ranks.

Great people and great benefits

Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Roseville, CA

ProsThe best benefits I've ever had with a company.

Free 50/50 internet, all TV channels in HD in 4 rooms, and unlimited telephone.

Free gym membership to any gym of your choosing.

Great health, vision and dental benefits.

Very involved with the local community (e.g. SureWest Foundation)

ConsCompany was purchased by Consolidated. Personnel loss and changes in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take away the great benefits. Do not become Comcast and start out sourcing work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sadly times are changing...

Manager (Current Employee)
    Roseville, CA

ProsFlexible schedule. Salary in alignment with most other organizations. Works is mostly entertaining - and at times challenging.

ConsNew owners, old ideas. The new owners are roughly 7-12 years behind the times on technology, customer service, and inter-company relationships. The overall feeling between most internal organizations are adversarial and not productive to success. While this feeling permeates from the lower level employees - you have to assume this behavior is not only tolerated but encouraged by the mid/senior level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMight be time to haul out some dead wood and start over..

SureWest is a great company to work for.

Roseville, CA

ProsThe work/ company culture is awesome.
    People are wonderful, friendly, and helpful.
    Benefits are the best I have seen, monthly child care credit.
    Pay is at the top of the industry.
    Company Beliefs

ConsCompany has been acquired by Consolidated Communications, work environment is changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow SureWest's culture and beliefs, employees will stay happy

Changing company.

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Roseville, CA

ProsFlexibility, location, family oriented, benefits. The company is involved in a lot of local charitible organizations and contributes to the community.

ConsSome upper management struggled in letting go of the "Roseville Telephone" mentallity. Legacy employees were often bitter about changes, not realizing how great the company is compared to the "real" world having been with the same company all their lives.

Plant Service Technician

Plant Service Technician I (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsWork independently.
    Work with great people.
    Great benefits.
    Great corporate culture.
    Good work/life balance.
    Entry-level to high mod-level management is trust worthy (i.e. the managers you are most likely to deal with.)

ConsWork in all kinds of weather.
    Work in homes that vary greatly in terms of cleanliness (some people are pigs)
    Work on Saturdays on a rotational basis if you do not have adequate seniority.
    Recently bought by Consolidate Communications who started off their relationship with their newly acquired company (Surewest) with lies and massive layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let Consolidated Communications (new owners) completely strangle the Surewest culture. It was the culture that I valued most about this employer and Consolidated has started things off on the wrong foot. At least I got an awesome severance package and I'm not around to see that culture flounder and die. The former CEO, Steve Oldham, sold this company off to his USTA buddy, leaving a bunch of employees hung out to dry while he got a serious golden handshake.

Trying to overcome old school ways to be a more cutting edge company.

Roseville, CA

ProsManagement was open to culture ideas and programs
    Flexible telecommute program
    Great co-workers

ConsToo many obstacles to overcome to get things done fast
    Needed more strong executive team members (some were very good, but not enough were)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out and about with employees more.

A company that cares about it's customers and employees.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a great company with amazing benefits. While it can't afford to match market expectations for salary, it more than makes up for with a 6% 401(k) match, daycare assistance, paid gym memberships, and frequent team builders to keep the "family" atmosphere alive. The corporate culture is unlike anything I have ever experienced.

ConsMany bottlenecks within the company. I have found that there are many positions that the company is heavily reliant upon, but there is only one or two people who can perform the tasks. If the people within these positions take time off, things seem to come to a stand still.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Extensive experience in operations support and engineering of both TDM and Metro Ethernet optical networks.

Senior Network Services Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsAbility to work in a small, close knit team to create and implement solutions to network issues.
    Company culture makes coming to work more pleasurable.

ConsHome-grown database solutions tend to be cumbersome at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on development of interacvtive database solutions to effectively address specific work group criteria and facilitate productivity..

Worked for SureWest Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SureWest Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SureWest Communications CEO Steve Oldham. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by SureWest Communications employees.