Surgical Care Affiliates

www.scasurgery.com

Surgical Care Affiliates Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Surgical Care Affiliates – “The partner of choice for surgical care.”

Andrew P Hayek

An incredible opportunity to grow your career and be constantly challenged

ProsSCA operates with the mindset of an entrepreneurial start up company--always encouraging new ideas and challenging the status quo to determine how we can better fulfill our mission.

ConsWith the number of opportunities that arise it can be challenging to determine the vital few to focus on, not a bad thing just a challenge!

Good experience, interesting industry, young feel

Support Services Director (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsI work in Support Services (basically corporate). The team is generally young and hard working. I really like the collegial atmosphere - there is a focus on collaboration rather than "silo-ing" SCA is in a growing, fast-developing industry (outpatient surgery) that has been really enjoyable to learn about. SCA itself has been growing rapidly. A lot of opportunity to move up, even across departments. Compensation is fair.

ConsThe company feels "young", but in the past year or so has been trying to "mature" with a focus on process and documentation. There have been some growing pains with insufficient staffing and a general resistance by management to staff up appropriately in some cases, especially when budgets aren't being met. Benefits (particularly 401(k) match) are below average for a corporate environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the long view in regards to staffing. Consider bifurcating benefits for corporate employees and field employees (like it or not, lawyers and MBAs have different expectations for benefits than scrub tech and nurses).

Outstanding Career Development, Opportunity for Personal and Professional Growth

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCommitment to talent development; Results-driven environment; Exposure to senior leadership; Ability to quickly take on additional responsibility

ConsUneven internal support quality (generally very strong, though there is always room for improvement).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investment in current team, and top-grading of the organization with high quality individuals and professionals. Quality people and team-oriented atmosphere have been a catalyst for tremendous success and will continue to be the driving force behind corporate growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great team to work with!

ProsSCA has a strong culture that informs strategic decision-making as well as day-to-day operations. This culture is constantly reinforced through reference to and practice of core values. SCA also actively works to recognize and develop capable members of its team.

ConsSCA has grown rapidly, and has a very diverse collections of surgical centers, surgical hospitals, and support service divisions. It can be challenging to compare and contrast practices across this spectrum. There are also frequent arrivals and departures of key individuals - while this is to be expected in a dynamic company, there is a constant degree of relearning processes/personnel as a result.

Lack of employee value and respect!

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Redding, CA

ProsThey know the "business" of running a surgery center. Emphasis on organization and paperwork. Their Oscar web page is an amazing resource.

ConsTeam work? Totally lacking between certain key management and employees. The only environment nurtured is one of "perfection by intimidation" leading to everyone walking on egg shells in fear of loosing their job over a clerical error or missed signature. Little to no observation of patient care expertise but again emphasis on paperwork perfection. Attention totally focused on finding employees weakness or shortcomings and and ignoring strengths, positive attributes, patient's reviews, work history, co-worker and physician input.

Advice to Senior ManagementMonitor how all your management team really treats the employees. Are they respectful even when disciplining. Do they encourage and nurture a positive work environment. Do they notice an employees value and positive attributes or focus on trying to find errors or shortcomings. I also am lead to believe that the anonymous employee complaint hotline isn't so anonymous. After making a complaint in detail, the scrutiny really picked up. After having 14 years of nearly perfect evaluations with the company, I was suddenly incompetent and my opinion insignificant and unwanted. They began searching for charting errors to have something to find fault in. Although there was much criticism, they did not follow up with any employee training to correct the action. I am just beginning to recover from the shock of how I was treated and how I wish Mr. Andrew Hayek would hear me out on what has taken place in our surgery center. It just can't be right.

A decent place to work

ProsThe work schedule is flexible and pay is decent. There seems to be opportunities for advancement.

ConsThere is a large leadership void. No active engagement from management.

Big company benefits with small company feel

ProsEntrepreneurial, non-bureaucratic
    Ambitious, yet collaborative teammates
    Flexible work schedule
    Excellent growth opportunities for people interested in healthcare
    Senior management walks the walk and talks the talk
    Values mean something

ConsOccasionally the entrepreneurial atmosphere leads to some overlap in roles; however, these frictions are easily overcome with strong communication, which is prevalent. Very little to critique!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore of the same!

Living the Values Every Day!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsWhat I love most about SCA is that the values aren't just words on a laminated card that gets handed out at special events... we truly live them every day. Teamwork is built into every aspect of our business, and teammates are recognized for their hard work and commitment. It is a pleasure to come to work every day!

ConsBusy, busy, busy! If you aren't willing to roll up your sleeves and help with whatever needs doing, don't even think about SCA. It is all hands on deck whenever there's a need. I'm not sure that's really a Con, but certainly a consideration if you aren't ready to work hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication continues to be the key to the company. Keeping everyone aware of the changes and influences on our industry and our business helps us stay alert and ready for the challenges we face.

Great company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsI work for the Support Services division in Birmingham, AL. My work team is supportive and senior management provides the support needed for my function. Great atmosphere, and a company wide focus on growth, as well as personal and corporate improvement.

ConsAs a fairly young company, we've been in a 'Just Do It' mode, which can lead to shadow processes and undocumented procedures. As we document and formalize processes, it helps us justify additional staffing, but it can be a struggle to stay caught up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. At times, we may need to focus on solidifying our current environment. it will help us to be a more agile and resilient company.

Growing company

(Current Employee)

ProsNever a dull moment. You will always be challenged by the work. Additionally. the company is truly focused on improving healthcare and recently went public.

ConsGrowth opportunities seem to be limited to a few departments. The corporate departments are very lean so work-life balance can be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should focus on retaining, growing and promoting current employees more. The current workloads are probably not sustainable in the long run.

Worked for Surgical Care Affiliates? Contribute to the Community!