Surgical Information Systems

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
3.4

Ed Daihl

Sales driven company, strong employees.

I have been working at Surgical Information Systems

Pros

Strong, intelligent employees. Great product and work environment. If you contribute, you're taken care of...both personally and professionally. Would recommend SIS to a friend.

Cons

Turnover. Sales & Marketing churns over routinely. Makes long term focus difficult and creates a lot of distraction for clients and other employees.

Sinking Ship

I have been working at Surgical Information Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Top notch intelligent employees, Compensation, Flexibility, Office environment, Work-Life balance

Cons

A constant influx of new staff in one year followed by sweeping layoffs the following year. Although great products are being produced, the sales and marketing of these products seems to be incredibly unfocused and unsuccessful. Everything seems totally scattered and unorganized. The longer you work here the less you're respected.

Value your long time staff just as much as your new hires. Get your managers some training. Organize your sales operations.

Great name, Great marketing, Great Products, Company needs a complete reorganization!

I worked at Surgical Information Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very new age corporate offices. The staff is excellent, there are some amazing people working there.

Cons

The company is dysfunctional. Sales, Marketing, Implementation, etc are all working independently as opposed to working as one well oiled machine.

Set up an in house permanent training department. Join the marketing and sales teams into a co-working system in order to get good information out to the customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The blind leading the blind

I worked at Surgical Information Systems full-time

Pros

Nice facility, free coffee and ping pong table that no one uses for fear that someone will see them using it.

Cons

Inexperienced IT staff that don't want others to know that they are clueless. The IT management is a living example of the peter principal.

Hire someone from outside that hasn't been at the company their entire career who actually may know something of value to the company.

Small company with limited growth potential for employees, and limited future

I have been working at Surgical Information Systems full-time

Pros

The line/field/employee level people are some of the brightest I have worked with. Good place to get your feet wet in the software and consulting fields.

Cons

SIS has always been small, and has limited opportunity for growth for employees. The solution is very niche and the future is not clear for SIS. As a result of protecting the limited turf, there appears to be a lot of infighting and general mean-spirited behavior to underlings coming from managers, directors, VPs, on up to the executive level. There's more managers and directors per line level employee than anywhere I've ever seen. Some mid-level and directors or VP management - it's unclear what they do to add value. I mean, it's a riddle. The technology is solid in many ways, and outdated in many ways, and it appears that we are waiting for something big to come along. Waiting. And waiting. And yet we wait. By the way, most of these reviews appear to come from management.

Retire. Bring in fresh perspectives with some innovative minds.

A decent place to work, going through growing pains.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Surgical Information Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong financial backing and aggressive growth plans give way to ample opportunities. If you are aggressive in pursuing your own advancement you can go places. Benefits and pay are ample, but nothing ground breaking.

Cons

Going through growing pains where a lack of process and leadership can create a lot of stress. Things seem to be changing for the positive, but it can be difficult in the interim.

Love them, then leave them

I worked at Surgical Information Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are looking for a company and an environment that will allow you to expand your skill set, make a difference, and work your ass off to do it - this is the place for you. Everyone at the company is passionate about what they do, and it doesn't take long for it to start feeling like a family. SIS only hires smart, ambitious people. It is an incredible environment for someone who wants to work hard and get noticed. If you take the opportunity to be mentored here you can almost soak up the knowledge through osmosis. Ask for what you need, go after what you want - you will rarely, if ever, hear someone tell you "no" to a well thought out plan here, but you have to take the initiative to go do it.

Cons

Certain skill sets are more transferable in the company than others, and certain managers try harder to help keep you engaged than others. Once you've learned all you can in the role you were hired for, it might be time to move on. There are worse problems to have at a company. Learn all you can and by all means, attempt to move within the company when it's time. But don't be too shocked if you have to leave to find the growth you're seeking. It seems to be the nature of working for a smaller company.

I respect upper management enough to give my feedback directly to them in my exit interview. This really is a great company with a positive trajectory. Every company has things they could do better, and every person has their own strengths and weaknesses, Overall my good experiences here far outweigh the bad.

Recommendable company

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

Smart, hard-working people. Overall good company.

Cons

Compensation is below industry average.

Great company with a great solution, some growing pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Surgical Information Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fabulous coworkers, flexible and knowledgeable management (at least in my area), great solution to get behind

Cons

Pay is middle of the road; some areas lack room for growth; some management is better than others at engaging their employees and helping them grow

Transparency makes for happier, less skeptical employees; continue developing the solution and stay on course

Great potential

I have been working at Surgical Information Systems

Pros

The company is in a market with great potential. Profits has been steady for 10+ years.

Cons

Lot of infighting among executives. If you can stay away from the effect of those, it's a great place to work.

Stop pushing your personal agenda and work together for the company. Get rid of people who only point fingers and don't get their job done.

Worked for Surgical Information Systems? Contribute to the Community!