Surgical Information Systems

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ed Daihl

Love them, then leave them

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are looking for a company and an environment that will allow you to expand your skill set, make a difference, and work your ass off to do it - this is the place for you. Everyone at the company is passionate about what they do, and it doesn't take long for it to start feeling like a family. SIS only hires smart, ambitious people. It is an incredible environment for someone who wants to work hard and get noticed. If you take the opportunity to be mentored here you can almost soak up the knowledge through osmosis. Ask for what you need, go after what you want - you will rarely, if ever, hear someone tell you "no" to a well thought out plan here, but you have to take the initiative to go do it.

ConsCertain skill sets are more transferable in the company than others, and certain managers try harder to help keep you engaged than others. Once you've learned all you can in the role you were hired for, it might be time to move on. There are worse problems to have at a company. Learn all you can and by all means, attempt to move within the company when it's time. But don't be too shocked if you have to leave to find the growth you're seeking. It seems to be the nature of working for a smaller company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI respect upper management enough to give my feedback directly to them in my exit interview. This really is a great company with a positive trajectory. Every company has things they could do better, and every person has their own strengths and weaknesses, Overall my good experiences here far outweigh the bad.

The blind leading the blind

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice facility, free coffee and ping pong table that no one uses for fear that someone will see them using it.

ConsInexperienced IT staff that don't want others to know that they are clueless. The IT management is a living example of the peter principal.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone from outside that hasn't been at the company their entire career who actually may know something of value to the company.

Small company with limited growth potential for employees, and limited future

ProsThe line/field/employee level people are some of the brightest I have worked with. Good place to get your feet wet in the software and consulting fields.

ConsSIS has always been small, and has limited opportunity for growth for employees. The solution is very niche and the future is not clear for SIS. As a result of protecting the limited turf, there appears to be a lot of infighting and general mean-spirited behavior to underlings coming from managers, directors, VPs, on up to the executive level. There's more managers and directors per line level employee than anywhere I've ever seen. Some mid-level and directors or VP management - it's unclear what they do to add value. I mean, it's a riddle. The technology is solid in many ways, and outdated in many ways, and it appears that we are waiting for something big to come along. Waiting. And waiting. And yet we wait. By the way, most of these reviews appear to come from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Bring in fresh perspectives with some innovative minds.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A decent place to work, going through growing pains.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsStrong financial backing and aggressive growth plans give way to ample opportunities. If you are aggressive in pursuing your own advancement you can go places. Benefits and pay are ample, but nothing ground breaking.

ConsGoing through growing pains where a lack of process and leadership can create a lot of stress. Things seem to be changing for the positive, but it can be difficult in the interim.

Recommendable company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsSmart, hard-working people. Overall good company.

ConsCompensation is below industry average.

Great company with a great solution, some growing pains

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsFabulous coworkers, flexible and knowledgeable management (at least in my area), great solution to get behind

ConsPay is middle of the road; some areas lack room for growth; some management is better than others at engaging their employees and helping them grow

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency makes for happier, less skeptical employees; continue developing the solution and stay on course

Great potential

ProsThe company is in a market with great potential. Profits has been steady for 10+ years.

ConsLot of infighting among executives. If you can stay away from the effect of those, it's a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pushing your personal agenda and work together for the company. Get rid of people who only point fingers and don't get their job done.

Small company, not easy to "keep low" from executives when it comes to your work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsSmaller company where it is easy to have a conversation with the executives during the day. Upbeat, laid back environment. Everyday is casual Friday.

ConsWas not given adequate training due to high volume of work for other co-workers on the team and their lack of time to give me training.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive proper feedback to employees when it comes to their work performance. There also needs to be better communication between departments.

A company dedicated to professional growth for employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsMy experience with SIS was very positive.
    Workplace
    - Employees are happy and seem to be happy to be working for the company
    - Management was very transparent about successes, struggles and future direction
    - Overall, the workplace was generally up-beat and a great place to be
    - Team building is a critical focus for SIS
    Professionalism
    - Education supported through memberships to industry organizations as well as attendance at national and regional conferences
    - Certifications funded, supported and encouraged.
    - Opportunities to speak at local, regional and national conferences
    - Great team with skilled, intelligent, thoughtful people

ConsSIS demands high performance out of it's employees. They are willing to invest in your education, training and growth to get that high return. Sales environment can be stressful at times.

A great organization to gain invaluable experience for professional growth and development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsThe ability to work with all levels throughout the organization
    The ability to wear "many hats"
    A very stable industry (Healthcare Information Technology)
    Consistent company growth
    Career development and career advancement opportunities
    Very intelligent employee population
    Great people to work with
    Work/Life balance

ConsThe only downside I see is not a downside for me, but could be for others...This is not an environment in which you can "fly under the radar." All positions have high visibility and impact on the organization, so being accountable is a must.

Worked for Surgical Information Systems? Contribute to the Community!