Surrey County Council

Updated August 2, 2014
Updated August 2, 2014

2.9

CEO

Overall a good job, satisfactory pay, conditions are good, feel like a valued member of the team

Current Employee - Library Assistant
    Current Employee - Library Assistant

I have been working at Surrey County Council part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Stimulating, varied work with a generally pleasant team of people
    - Lots of training and personal development opportunities
    - Pay is well over minimum wage, and satisfactory for the level I am at
    - Holiday and sick pay conditions are very good
    - Staff meetings are good, very open and all staff are invited to add items to the agenda without repercussions
    - I feel that my strengths have been identified early on in the job and I am asked to utilise my strengths both in my individual work and team work
    - Recently refurbished building in a nice area, staff parking is provided
    - Staff break room is very nice and relaxing, well-equipped

Cons

- Management are held accountable to one another so problems become circular.
    - While there is plenty of opportunity to go on training courses, my basic job training is still ongoing and I've been there for about five months. I had to teach myself to do quite a few things which are crucial to my job.
    - I'm currently on a part time contract and due to cuts in the service I will have to either wait for someone to leave or transfer to another library in order to get a full time job.
    - Senior management make decisions without thinking about the effects those decisions will have (eg no longer putting books on backstock, no longer allowing extended loans)

- There should be somebody that managers are accountable to, instead of each other, who will take staff problems seriously and enact measures to deal with problems that arise.
    - Too much money is wasted on teams (eg. CYP, Health & Wellbeing), when it could be spent on more full-time staff, refurbishing the older libraries (like Guildford), fun & targeted CYP activities, computer courses, etc. to get people into libraries in the first place.
    - Make sure that new staff have been properly trained in the first few months rather than allowing their training to go on and on indefinitely.
    - Allow library staff to use their discretion in matters like backstocking books, allowing extended loans, weeding and withdrawing.

Varied Experience

I worked at Surrey County Council full-time

Pros

If you are looking for a local public sector job then the salary and conditions are okay, although be warned that some departments go through frequent restructures.

It is also a large organisation and if you are lucky you may end up in a team that suits you for a while.

Cons

If you are looking for a stimulating job that will help with career progression, then Surrey County Council is unlikely to be for you. The overblown Victorian facade of County Hall in Kingston says it all. This is an old fashioned, strictly hierarchical organisation with pretentions of grandeur. On the whole, the management reflect this.

Comparing it to the other companies I have worked for, I can not recommend this Council to others.

The organisation and management structure needs major redesign. It's been tried before, but it needs to be tried again.

My experience at the Surrey County Council.

Current Employee - Social Worker  in  Guildford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Guildford, England (UK)

I have been working at Surrey County Council full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive and knowledgeable line managers.

Cons

Very inconsistent and confusing company policies. No attention to detail. Low level of responsibility and accountability from HR, Accounting, IT departments. Sloppiness and laziness of administrative staff spoils social workers' ability to perform and excel.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

challenging, diverse and rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)

I have been working at Surrey County Council

Pros

Surrey County Council is a great place to work, being such a large organisation offering a multitude of services to residents there is a real diversity in the people working here. I get the opportunity to work with people from a whole range of professions, from Social workers to accountants, HR to Estates, Procurement and highways staff, care workers and library staff.

There is a lot of change occuring particularly at the moment, and SCC is striving to become World class in its services and operations. There is the opportunity to try new things and learn from others and there is a huge investment in learning and development with the highly regarded STARS training programme.

Surrey is an award winning local authority looking to do things differently and offer the best services to the residents it serves, being a part of this is hugely rewarding.

Cons

Sometimes SCC can be bureaucratic and things take time to get moving, however the appetite is there to change and if you are someone who wants to be a part of doing things differently then SCC is a great place to be.

Worked for Surrey County Council? Contribute to the Community!