SurveyMonkey Reviews

SurveyMonkey CEO Bill Veghte
Bill Veghte

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great collaborative culture with a policy of not hiring (or keeping) jerks.

Cons

The base compensation packages could be higher.

Advice to Management

Buying a home within commuting distance of the Palo Alto office is not possible with current salaries and employees are even being priced out of renting in a lot of areas.

Good experience

Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office culture is great. No one micro manages employees, there's a sense of ownership in things that you work on. Thats great.

Cons

Too many meetings. lack of flexibility in some teams especially for those who has long commute.

Monkey Jobs

Current Employee - Audience Sales in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Audience Sales in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Growing company -Great product -Top notch leadership -Perks -Pay -Flexibility to pursue and implement your own ideas

Cons

I live in SF and the office is in PA. I would say the commute is the worst part about working here and it's not that bad. The company is growing very quickly so there are definitely some "growing pains" that can be frustrating.

The perks of a startup without the drawbacks

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At SurveyMonkey, I've found that I get the lack of red tape, visibility to upper management, the excitement, and the culture that I would get at an earlier-stage startup, but the resources and stability of an older company. It feels like the best of both worlds. It's a very flexible and dynamic environment, and honestly, everyone here seems pretty darn happy! The responsible PTO policy (unlimited!) and benefits are amazing. You can tell from how employees are treated that the company is doing really well, and that's a great feeling.

Cons

As a small company we seem to run a bit lean, which is challenging. There's not much ability to delegate when needed, and sometimes due to lack of resources (mostly staff) it's a challenge to get the things you feel are a priority, to be seen and treated as such by others. But in all, I've experienced that as more of a plus than a minus, because you get full ownership over your work and can try things you wouldn't normally get to at a bigger company.

Advice to Management

Make sure that leadership hires moving forward have great people management skills!

Sales in SurveyMonkey Audience

Current Employee - Sales in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SurveyMonkey Audience is an excellent team of smart people with great support to help you succeed. The charity based business model really makes you feel like you're able to help your clients and make a difference. Training and onboarding is excellent and growing, and the more senior salespeople/managers take an active role coaching and improving your skills. The easy Caltrain commute and excellent food doesn't hurt either

Cons

The different departments within the company are very much silos. If you need things done which involve multiple teams it can be difficult to find the correct stakeholders, and it's not always clear what other's priorities and goals are.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to encourage more communication across departments.

Fantastic company to grow your career!

Current Employee - Sales - Audience in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales - Audience in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with a stellar management team and a lot of things going for it. The benefits are competitive (if not better than most), the work perks (snacks everywhere), and PTO offering is above par, making work enjoyable and SurveyMonkey the place to be. Coworkers are fun and there seems to be plenty of opportunities for growth.

Cons

As with any startup (as Audience is a startup within a company), there are growing pains, but they are minor and management seems to take them in stride. Training at first was on the weaker end, but they have improved in this area. Some changes still take a bit of time to implement, but this can be said for any organization.

A Start Up Culture With Great Brand Recognition

Current Employee - Mid-Market Account Executive, Audience in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Mid-Market Account Executive, Audience in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With most "start ups" the hardest thing to do is get brand recognition, but with SurveyMonkey Audience we don't have that problem because the SurveyMonkey brand and platform are already well established in the marketplace. The sales cycles are quick(2 weeks) and the best part about this product is it's not a one and done product. Once you get your foot in the door with a company you can continue to sell them the same product over and over again. Salary and Comp plan are on the higher end of competitive for the area and the company is Pre-IPO so you can get some equity. The territories are cut as fair as I have seen them for any company I have worked for. I would not say their are "haves and have nots" here. Each territory seems to be fairly equal. Benefits are great, unlimited PTO(within reason), catered lunch twice a week and as many snacks and drinks available as you can wrap your head around. This is one of the nicest offices I have ever seen period. Modern but comfortable. The game room is great but the real prize is the roof deck. Right in downtown Palo Alto so the weather is great and with WiFi access on the roof it's great to be able to catch some sun while you do your job. All in all the company treats you like an adult. No one is breathing down your neck and micromanaging you. They expect you to know how to sell and get the job done.

Cons

Because the Audience team is still a "startup within a startup" there are some growing pains due to lack of head count. Having a sales team is new to the company and they are learning as they go so the processes are in a constant flux and on outside the box deals it can be harder to get the deal done internally than externally. The training program could be better and it would be nice to have a new computer when you walk in the door(some get new computers some don't). The training team could use some work as well.

Great Place to Be an Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the culture in engineering/product. Everyone is very friendly and inclusive and they work really hard to get people from different teams to get to know each other. No one is condescending or arrogant, even the people who are extra smart and experienced. They push decision-making down as far as they can so that everyone feels like they have ownership over their projects. And there are lots of opportunities for career advancement or trying out new things. Also, the work-life balance is outstanding. You are expected to go home and enjoy your evening and weekends.

Cons

Pretty much the only thing I can complain about is the twice a week lunches. The caterer is terrible.

Plenty of responsibility and opportunity to make an impact

Current Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No shortage of important projects to take on

Cons

Palo Alto location means many employees commute, making them beholden to the Caltrain schedule and constraining post-work day mingling

High-energy organization

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at SurveyMonkey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Industry leader in the online survey marketplace. High-energy environment.

Cons

Open office plan can be noisy at times. Bring noise canceling headphones if you plan to work here.

Advice to Management

Follow through with promises made.

RSS Feed </> Embed