SurveyMonkey Reviews

A Start Up Culture With Great Brand Recognition

Current Employee - Mid-Market Account Executive, Audience  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Mid-Market Account Executive, Audience in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time for less than a year

Pros

With most "start ups" the hardest thing to do is get brand recognition, but with SurveyMonkey Audience we don't have that problem because the SurveyMonkey brand and platform are already well established in the marketplace. The sales cycles are quick(2 weeks) and the best part about this product is it's not a one and done product. Once you get your foot in the door with a company you can continue to sell them the same product over and over again.

Salary and Comp plan are on the higher end of competitive for the area and the company is Pre-IPO so you can get some equity. The territories are cut as fair as I have seen them for any company I have worked for. I would not say their are "haves and have nots" here. Each territory seems to be fairly equal.

Benefits are great, unlimited PTO(within reason), catered lunch twice a week and as many snacks and drinks available as you can wrap your head around. This is one of the nicest offices I have ever seen period. Modern but comfortable. The game room is great but the real prize is the roof deck. Right in downtown Palo Alto so the weather is great and with WiFi access on the roof it's great to be able to catch some sun while you do your job.

All in all the company treats you like an adult. No one is breathing down your neck and micromanaging you. They expect you to know how to sell and get the job done.

Cons

Because the Audience team is still a "startup within a startup" there are some growing pains due to lack of head count. Having a sales team is new to the company and they are learning as they go so the processes are in a constant flux and on outside the box deals it can be harder to get the deal done internally than externally. The training program could be better and it would be nice to have a new computer when you walk in the door(some get new computers some don't). The training team could use some work as well.

Great benefits and amazing office space

I worked at SurveyMonkey

Pros

Great Benefits, exceptional PTO policy and the company has made the survey platform compelling to use.

Cons

Leadership team lacks connection to mid level team which is a challenge when the company is so small.

Never more satisfied in my career

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great teams, strong and evolving product, and plenty of opportunity for those who know what to look for. Fair comp for Portland market, great benefits and lots of perks. Transparency from executive team is refreshing.

Cons

Not a lot of advancement opportunity unless you're excellent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Be an Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the culture in engineering/product. Everyone is very friendly and inclusive and they work really hard to get people from different teams to get to know each other. No one is condescending or arrogant, even the people who are extra smart and experienced. They push decision-making down as far as they can so that everyone feels like they have ownership over their projects. And there are lots of opportunities for career advancement or trying out new things. Also, the work-life balance is outstanding. You are expected to go home and enjoy your evening and weekends.

Cons

Pretty much the only thing I can complain about is the twice a week lunches. The caterer is terrible.

Great potential, but ultimately disappointed.

I worked at SurveyMonkey as a contractor

Pros

Smart bunch of people. They were in a strong hiring trend when I was there.
    Management is taking they're taking the company on a strong

Cons

The office culture outside my dept seemed very in or out, you know the right
    people you stand out and make a difference, otherwise its hard.

My direct boss was unprofessional, and used every opportunity to publicly
    undermine, humiliate, and exclude team members, so don't work on that team.

I wasn't given the opportunity to do the job I had been hired to do, but
    was placed in a different position the duration of my time there.

not the monkey it used to be

Former Employee - Customer Engagement Representative  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at SurveyMonkey full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

salary, generous benefits, kitchen/breakroom perks

Cons

no room for growth within the Customer Engagement Team

rather than piling on perks such as snacks, lunches, and beer, take some time to build the team you have. actively recruiting recent college graduates has its place, but failing to value the experience of longtime employees who have seen the company grow over the years will have a lasting impact.

Good place to work if you can navigate the cliques.

I worked at SurveyMonkey

Pros

Good perks, smart people. It's a company that's doing well, and that's always fun to be a part of.

Cons

Definitely an "in crowd" and "out crowd." You have to be part of the in crowd to have a big impact. Many of the management have worked together in the past (eBay, Yahoo, etc), and it has a clique-y feel to it.

Has lost its way

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time

Pros

Growing quickly, and with the usual silicon valley perks. Lots of smart, nice people and some interesting problems to work on.

Cons

As other reviews mentioned, the politics are a bit out of control. Sometimes, it is difficult to know who really does what, or what the right procedure is to get things done. It seems management changes direction frequently.

Decentralize some of the decision making, and provide the engineering team with better ownership of their products.

Start up perks without startup energy and excitement

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time

Pros

Lots of silicon valley perks such as catered lunch, volunteer activities and unlimited PTO. In general most people are friendly.

Cons

Most decisions big or small are made by a top few. It makes it difficult to innovate and complete projects quickly. Not a lot of experienced managers to provide mentoring or career growth. Ambiguity about people's roles, authority and responsibility.

Empower people to make decisions in their area of expertise. Hire managers who know how to manage a team and have experience fostering growth and learning.

Good place to work, politics run rampant.

I have been working at SurveyMonkey full-time

Pros

Pretty normal perks for small companies in the tech industry (snacks, a few lunches a week, etc)

Some intelligent people to work with and bounce ideas off of.

Mostly competitive salary, although they moved to using a market index recently to rate your salary cap.

Company with a lot of history, and explosive growth in recent years.

Cons

Leadership pushes agendas and important projects on a few with little to no guidance and unrealistic deadlines.

Technology Debt takes a backseat to "making money now"

Politics. You're in or you're out.

Value presentation over honesty.

To get anything done either: do it and ask forgiveness or convince entire teams to jump on board. Having a collective decide on most decisions makes for a slow, arduous process.

Worked for SurveyMonkey? Contribute to the Community!