Susquehanna Bancshares

Susquehanna Bancshares Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Susquehanna Bancshares Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Susquehanna Bank William J. Reuter

William J. Reuter

Great Company

Financial Service Representative (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmployee input highly valued
Not a high pressure environment

ConsI'm very satisfied with this company and cannot think of any cons

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you're doing!

easy to be recognized for hard work

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time for more than a year

ProsUpward potential/room for growth
Employee input highly valued
Susq supports community involvement and volunteerism
PTO

ConsLittle diversity
Pay not competitive, depending on role
Senior Management inconsistent on intiatives

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent when rolling out intiatives, too much back and forth confusing the employees. Also, increase incentives or pay competitively in respect to markets you serve- all wages should not be based on Lancaster County standards. Pay your great employees so they will stay.

good job

Customer Service Representative (Teller) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares part-time for more than a year

Prosfun place to work at

Conslong hours and long lines

Advice to Senior Managementhelpful

Call Center-Decent job while in college.

Call Center (Current Employee)
Lititz, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time for more than a year

ProsPay, benefits are fair. Cushy office job. There is constantly free food, so you would want a gym membership if you work here.

ConsVery daycare-like type of environment. Extremely sensitive employees and supervisors. Emotion-driven management. Not very diverse workplace. Top-heavy call center environment with too many supervisors. There is a lot of secrecy amongst management with no need for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the nice-guy image and put leaders in leadership positions. Also, combine the CSC Coach position with the CSC Supervisor role instead of paying people to tweet on their phones all day.

Your branch manager will depend if you like the position

Customer Service Representative/Financial Service Representative III (Current Employee)
Carlisle, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay. Advancement opportunity - you are able to move up in your position from I to III.

ConsThe HR department is horrible. Don't go to them with questions. They let the branch manager do whatever they want to do. You will work at least every other weekend, and on those days your work week is 6 days, because the branches don't give you a day off during the week. For raises you will only get between 3 and 5 percent, but don't count on more than 3.5. I got perfect with nothing more needed, and only got 3.5 percent. They will try to push you into community service, because of the community reinvestment act.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs to crack down on the managers who are never at the branch and "work from home."

Residential Mortgage Division

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time

ProsNice, helpful people. Flexible scheduling based on individual needs.

ConsLow salary for heavy work load. Poor management. Top heavy (in management).

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees work hard and deserve better from management. They are an integral part of what makes the Residential Mortgage Division profitable and successful. Give them the resources they need to do their job. Hire more permanent support staff. The Residential Mortgage Division is one of the top most profitable divisions in the bank. Recognize their efforts by at least paying a salary comparable to other local salaries for the same position. Stop using being headquartered in York, PA as an excuse to pay less. Have employees review their managers anonymously on a yearly basis to weed out poor management.

The grass is always greener...

Financial Service Representative (Former Employee)
Forest Hill, MD

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA well run company in comparison to other big dogs. Not as aggressive as some larger competitors. Friendly back office and front office. Actually customer oriented. Benefits are excellent, coaching is in place and their training department (called Learning Central) has some of the most vibrant trainers I've met in my life. If only college had been like that.

ConsDepending on your area, you may find it hard to advance. Turnover is very low, which is fantastic if you're happy doing what you do, but ineffective for advancement. I chose to jump ship to further my career, and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever made.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore branches in the Baltimore metro area.

All they care about is sales, sales, sales...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
York, PA

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI would say they don't have any

Conswell you have the experience and you have been around awhile and they get rid of you

Apply elsewhere

Bank Branch Manager III (Former Employee)
Camden, NJ

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares

ProsGreat benefits, can advance quickly thanks to lack of competition but kiss the right butts

ConsMotivation by intimation, C level management and back office. HR is run by top managers

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit

Too much information for so little pay

Customer Service/Financial Specialist Representative (Former Employee)
Lititz, PA

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares

ProsGreat benefits package, somewhat flexible scheduling, feedback available, management is willing to work with you, opportunities to advance quickly, employee appreciation lunches

Conshigh stress job. you are doing the work of 10 customer service reps and certainly not compensated for it. for example, you are a customer service rep so you must answer phone calls about trivial things, such as bank balances, but you also have to know how to calculate escrow and the minutae of interest rates, etc. And when people call you, they're mean because they're upset about something to do with their money. Also, the dresscode is business professional even though you are in a basement and no one sees you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeparate the "customer service rep" into different jobs. A rep for mortgages, a rep for loans, a rep for accounts, etc.

Worked for Susquehanna Bancshares? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Susquehanna Bancshares reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Susquehanna Bancshares CEO William J. Reuter. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Susquehanna Bancshares employees.