Susquehanna Bancshares

Susquehanna Bancshares Reviews

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
3.3

Susquehanna Bancshares Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Susquehanna Bank William J. Reuter
William J. Reuter

Nice place to work

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares

Pros

Promotes growth and great co-workers

Cons

Limited to what they will spend on training

Training and technology is the key to moving forward - investing in your employees should be a top priority

It's all about who your manager is!

Current Employee - Analyst in Lititz, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Lititz, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you're customer facing, there's a lot of opportunities to get bonuses and incentives. There's more job security too.

Cons

The company is due to be acquired by BB&T in June 2015. Non facing employees are going to be let go.

Be more forthcoming about the changes in the organization and be more visible. You're out of sight and disconnected.

Customer service rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bridgeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bridgeton, NJ

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers, hours, payscale, near my apartment

Cons

Lack of opportunity, no growth, upper management

Appriciate your employees

Workforce Management Specialist -not great for the ambitious or sensible.

Former Employee - Workforce Management Specialist in Lititz, PA
    Former Employee - Workforce Management Specialist in Lititz, PA

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits were okay. Also, some coworkers were easy going and cooperative. Located in beautiful Lititz PA.

Cons

SUSQ uses the cheapest software to accomplish everything. This made it especially difficult for me to do my job.

Reporting call center statistics was a joke because I knew the software was reporting false information.

That didn't matter to management, as they were more concerned with conducting their precious small groups training than having the department effectively serving customers.

Employee scheduling was just terrible because the company cannot attract many qualified applicants, since they refuse to pay reasonable wages. This made it easy for employees to walk all over management since we weren't going to fire them. This in turn affected my performance and let me earn a whopping 200 dollar yearly bonus while my leaders got millions.

Stop paying your employees like high school students and posting articles in the intranet about how well we are performing and how big your bonuses are.

Good place to work.

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares

Pros

Can grow with company. Great resources to go to to get Harlow with policy and procedures.

Cons

As in most corporations upper management finds a way to make changes for some and not others .

Be fair to all employees . Follow policy

Good place to Start

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Working Environment. The training facility and training staff is very friendly and professional. Great place to start a career and learn. Company has a good reputation and looks good on resumes.

Cons

The pay is poor. They need to reevaluate what they are offering their employees compared to the cost of living.

Management needs to be developed more. To many managers without a college education are in charge of your branches. The pay is also low as well the cost of living has gone up its very hard to live of some of the hr wages you're offering your employees.

Good, fair company.

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Over 40 hrs you get comp time.( depending on the branch). 401k match. Free life insurance. Okay pay compared to other places. Next day availability on funds that are normal transactions. Competitive rates. Free almost everything for employees. Lots of room to more up but you really have to know your job. They don't just let anyone move up. Which is fair. Gives one courtesy fee back. Other then that I agree that the customer should be charged.

Cons

50/50 on management that actually cares about you and is not just pushing everything off on you b.c. They are lazy. Pay increase depends on how good the branch does for the year and not your goals. Too many promotions and procedure changes. Hard to keep up with everything. Too worried about what customers think about them and forces on the customers make everything worse. For the responsibility that my job requires its difficult for most I think the pay should go by talent and knowledge not by years worked.

To way higher up management stop forcing. If customers like us it's not because we are uniformed like all other banks. The fact that we are very personal with our customers is the way they like it not acting like they are just another customer and all get the same treatment.

It's an alright job for someone just starting working but if you want more it's not really the place to be.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is alright and you are in a decent environment. You get benefits, 401K, and daytime hours.

Cons

The cons are : Not a lot of local opportunities in the Lehigh Valley except if you want to work in bank branch. It's very hard to increase your knowledge. If you are lucky enough to got to training you don't get a chance to practice anything you have learned, therefore you forget it. Never enough staff so you are always working overtime and Saturdays whether you want to or not. Monthly call nights harassing customers that are never productive and a total waste of time. Products and policies that are years behind other banks so servicing the customer becomes hard to do.

Get rid of managers that micro manage. Get in some fresh managers that will inspire and teach rather than threaten and criticize everything you do for the sake of criticizing.

Call Center is good starter job for College students or grads but Underpaid!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lititz, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lititz, PA

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Schedule is firm, you know one month in advance
    Only 1 Saturday a month
    Bank Holidays
    15 Min Breaks

Cons

Underpaid
    No dedicated Loan Center or Mortgage Center
    Office Culture is if you suck up you will advance
    If you cry a lot they will feel bad and assign you projects off phones
    They choose the same group of people for projects
    Too many coaches that text on phones all day
    Sell, Sell, Sell. Forget the Customer.

Pay Reps at a better rate and Have dedicated reps for Loans and Mortgage.
    Reduce coaches, way too many coaches.
    Implement a system that avoids favoritism. Some Reps and Supervisors are extremely close and get privileges and special treatment.
    Have card Services there on weekends.

Leadership sadly lacking, company has no direction except sale.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lititz, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lititz, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people you meet are some of the best they try to foster a very team oriented culture a sort of "we're all in this together" type of approach. Undergoing major cultural shift with an change in the executive suite not going as planned.

Cons

Leadership is strictly from the top down and errors are not tolerated. There are certain very well known "golden ones" who can do no wrong, everyone else is expendable. Age discrimination is rampant in the culture, it is privately circulated, among the managers, that they are only interested in hiring twenty somethings old dogs need not apply.