Susquehanna International Group, LLP

Updated September 16, 2014
4.1

Susquehanna International Group, LLP Managing Director Jeff Yass
Jeff Yass

Pros
  • Free Breakfast and Lunch (catered) (in 28 reviews)

• Smart people, free lunch, focus on education (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, very competitive, can be stressful at times (in 15 reviews)

• The work-life balance was less than satisfactory (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

88 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company that treats employee's very well

Current Employee - Trade Support Associate  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Trade Support Associate in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is free breakfast and lunch everyday with a cafeteria that always has healthy snacks available, A well equipped 24x7 onsite gym that is going under construction soon to be expanded and upgraded. There is also an onsite nurse practitioner, dry cleaning service, and dozens of other perks

Cons

being in a support role, sometimes it is difficult to deal with the egos of traders when something isn't working. a lot of this is just due to them being under stress and realizing it isn't necessarily directed at you. As it is with any support role, problems sometimes occur that lead to late nights in the office.

Assistant Trader

Former Employee - Assistant Trader  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Trader in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Smart people
    -Sizable capital which allows traders to place big bets and take on considerable risk when it is +EV
    -Culture does not shy away from risk
    -Good investment in technology
    -Good buffets

Cons

-Mock trading is poorly structured. Too much time spent on mental math, not enough on developing practical skills that you will use as a trader.
    -In many groups you will learn nothing about trading during the trading day. Traders are too busy to bother teaching and ATs are pretty much kept busy with clerical duties and gain little insight into the trading process. It's a waste.

Focus more on trader development and teaching applicable skills during the trading day and during mocks. SIG is a good place to be a trader, but it's not a good place to learn about trading when you are starting out, which is unfortunate.

Great perks, but very stressful.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free breakfast and lunch catered. Company frequently offers employees free suite tickets to sporting events. Lots of special events.

Cons

Everyone on the trading floor has a huge ego. Management rolls are not clearly defined. Very high stress times.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internship - Good, but not Excellent

Former Employee - Operations  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Operations in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Susquehanna International Group, LLP as an intern for less than a year

Pros

free lunch
    free seminars to attend
    down to earth mentors and colleagues

Cons

long hours
    not enough work overall
    not enough significant work
    no formal training

Very nice fringe benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I found the technical skills of the technology staff to be very strong on the whole. The work is interesting and SIG provided the tools to get things accomplished. The benefits provided are very good. On top of that, SIG gives many fringe benefits including an on-site gym with very good equipment, free breakfast (sometimes hot) and catered lunch daily, an on-site nurse, and more on-site services such as auto maintenance, car washing, and dry cleaning.

Cons

I found there to be heavy resistance to telecommuting. Working from home for occasional situations that come up is permitted, but nothing more. Also, in my experience, raises are rare.

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bala Cynwyd, PA

Pros

Smart people, free lunch, focus on education

Cons

Work hours can be inflexible

Keep investing in your employees

Equity Options Co-op

Former Employee - Equity Options Operations Co-op  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Equity Options Operations Co-op in Bala Cynwyd, PA

Pros

Free Breakfast and Lunch (catered)
    Down to earth co-workers who are always willing to help you out
    An Environment of Constant Learning - you can take classes for free

Cons

Early Hours - Was in the office by 7:30 AM
    Long Hours - Many co-workers came in at 7 and left at 6 or later
    Some monotonous tasks

One of the best places to be a Software Developer in the Philadelphia area

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- You get to work in a very collaborative environment along side some very smart people.

- Direct interaction (and collaboration) with traders and the other people who are using the systems/features that you are working on. This is great because you get real-time user feedback and get to see first-hand the impact your work is having.

- Very little bureaucracy or politics, especially for a company this size. Working at SIG often feels like working in a small company, but with access to the resources of a large firm.

- The pay is very competitive compared to other companies in the area. There are also lots of perks like the often-mentioned free breakfast and lunch, a full gym, exercise classes, on-site car wash services, and they are adding charging stations if you have an electric vehicle.

- The culture here is EXCELLENT. The people who work here are generally very happy and the low turnover rate we have is a testament to that.

- SIG has a very flat structure which I think helps foster the collegiate environment that is present here. On multiple occasions, I have gone to technologists (or business people) on other teams for help and have never been turned away, even when I was new to the company and the industry.

- You won't see your good idea ignored in favor of a lesser idea by a "Senior" developer here, like I've seen happen at so many other development shops. Management really does foster an environment that allows the best idea to win.

Cons

Since SIG is a private partnership, company financials are not public information and the employees are often in the dark about how the company is performing as a whole.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture and atmosphere. Very collaborative environment with continual opportunities to learn and grow. No hierarchy. Ability to work with smart people and also learn from them. Opportunity to gain depth across multiple disciplines. Great perks - gym, breakfast and lunch daily and even leftovers to take home! Onsite nurse is also a nice perk and saves money. Fun atmosphere.

Cons

Salaries could be more competitive

The Crown Jewel of Wall Street

Current Employee - Technology Manager  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Technology Manager in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent culture. Very anti-corporate. The focus here is not about the titles, policies, micromanagement, politics, bureaucracy and layoffs when the P&L takes a hit which is what I experienced at other financial firms. It’s about collaboration, teaming, decision making, innovation, delivery and empowering people to be the best they can be to contribute to SIG’s success. I faced culture shock when I arrived at SIG but easily adapted once I realized how this culture contributes to SIG’s overall success and individual and team success. I’ll take this culture along with the jeans and sneakers and shorts in the summer over the suit and tie and wing tipped shoes I trashed years ago.

I consider the managing directors to be approachable, friendly and fun, and passionate about their employees and company success. I also consider them to be some of the top risk managers on Wall Street. Their proven track record in trading and approach to running the company gives me confidence and comfort that we are part of a winning team especially when facing tough financial markets.

We have very friendly, intelligent, skilled hard working employees committed to the success of the organization with the willingness to educate and help each other. Traders and Technologists are united partners that shape our overall Trading business. Employees have the opportunity to grow and have greater impact along the way if they are determined and committed to do so. Open communication and idea sharing is encouraged not discouraged. Fairly flat organization structure which contributes to the lack of politics and bureaucracy. As such, decisions are made very quickly and people are more productive.

The Technology team is led by a CIO who is committed to ensuring that her team is core to the success of the business by delivering innovative solutions that give our business an edge on their competition. The team is unified, committed to innovation and delivering cutting edge and bleeding edge technologies to our trading business. This fosters an exciting, challenging and rewarding environment for technologists. Micromanagement is non-existent but exposure to all levels within the organization is the norm. We are focused on overcoming challenges and making the impossible possible. These are things I didn’t experience at previous employers. The workload is generally heavy and consistent across the Technology organization. This is why prioritization is a key area of focus. If you are looking for a 9 to 5 job with many breaks throughout the day then this is not be the place for you. If you are a highly motivated technologist looking to be challenged and busy and working with complex technologies then SIG could be the right place for you.

I’ve seen a significant commitment to the evolution of our education programs such as co-operative and internship programs and our Technology Associates program. I’ve seen each produce opportunities for recent grads to join SIG full time and have successful careers over the years. These are a few examples of the many channels used to attract and hire top talent.

Benefits and perks are good. Free breakfast/lunch is one of the better perks. In addition to being free, I don’t have to contend with traffic and lines at local food establishments wasting time. This allows me to get back to work faster.

After working for other financial firms, I consider SIG to be the crown jewel of Wall Street. Among other things, the owners, people, culture, team approach and my ability to innovate and have impact is what keeps me at SIG. To me, this is the place to be if you if you want a challenging and rewarding career as a technologist at a financial firm.

Cons

The grass is not always greener but in most cases it’s much greener than any of the other Wall Street financial firms I worked at during my career. That along with my consistent losing streak at the annual poker tournament and in any of the many sweepstakes that take place at SIG throughout the year are the only cons that come to mind.

Stay consistent.

Susquehanna International Group, LLP Photos

Worked for Susquehanna International Group, LLP? Contribute to the Community!