Susquehanna International Group, LLP

Susquehanna International Group, LLP Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Susquehanna International Group, LLP Managing Director Jeff Yass

Jeff Yass

Pros:
  • "Free Breakfast and Lunch (catered)"
    in 27 reviews
  • "free lunch everyday, fast paced environment, supervisors that care"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very long hours if you want to advance, but I guess it's like that anywhere"
    in 13 reviews
  • "The work-life balance was less than satisfactory"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company that treats employee's very well

Trade Support Associate (Current Employee)
Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is free breakfast and lunch everyday with a cafeteria that always has healthy snacks available, A well equipped 24x7 onsite gym that is going under construction soon to be expanded and upgraded. There is also an onsite nurse practitioner, dry cleaning service, and dozens of other perks

Consbeing in a support role, sometimes it is difficult to deal with the egos of traders when something isn't working. a lot of this is just due to them being under stress and realizing it isn't necessarily directed at you. As it is with any support role, problems sometimes occur that lead to late nights in the office.

Very nice fringe benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI found the technical skills of the technology staff to be very strong on the whole. The work is interesting and SIG provided the tools to get things accomplished. The benefits provided are very good. On top of that, SIG gives many fringe benefits including an on-site gym with very good equipment, free breakfast (sometimes hot) and catered lunch daily, an on-site nurse, and more on-site services such as auto maintenance, car washing, and dry cleaning.

ConsI found there to be heavy resistance to telecommuting. Working from home for occasional situations that come up is permitted, but nothing more. Also, in my experience, raises are rare.

good company, very professional

Trader (Former Employee)

Prosgood place to learn and grow as a trader, they employ some of the best out there

Conscentralized in Philadelphia, so makes it tough to be a part of the bigger picture from other offices

Great place to work

Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture and atmosphere. Very collaborative environment with continual opportunities to learn and grow. No hierarchy. Ability to work with smart people and also learn from them. Opportunity to gain depth across multiple disciplines. Great perks - gym, breakfast and lunch daily and even leftovers to take home! Onsite nurse is also a nice perk and saves money. Fun atmosphere.

ConsSalaries could be more competitive

Great place to start a career

Bala Cynwyd, PA

ProsSmart people, free lunch, focus on education

ConsWork hours can be inflexible

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your employees

Equity Options Co-op

Equity Options Operations Co-op (Former Employee)
Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Susquehanna International Group, LLP as an intern for less than a year

ProsFree Breakfast and Lunch (catered)
Down to earth co-workers who are always willing to help you out
An Environment of Constant Learning - you can take classes for free

ConsEarly Hours - Was in the office by 7:30 AM
Long Hours - Many co-workers came in at 7 and left at 6 or later
Some monotonous tasks

One of the best places to be a Software Developer in the Philadelphia area

Team Lead (Current Employee)
Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- You get to work in a very collaborative environment along side some very smart people.

- Direct interaction (and collaboration) with traders and the other people who are using the systems/features that you are working on. This is great because you get real-time user feedback and get to see first-hand the impact your work is having.

- Very little bureaucracy or politics, especially for a company this size. Working at SIG often feels like working in a small company, but with access to the resources of a large firm.

- The pay is very competitive compared to other companies in the area. There are also lots of perks like the often-mentioned free breakfast and lunch, a full gym, exercise classes, on-site car wash services, and they are adding charging stations if you have an electric vehicle.

- The culture here is EXCELLENT. The people who work here are generally very happy and the low turnover rate we have is a testament to that.

- SIG has a very flat structure which I think helps foster the collegiate environment that is present here. On multiple occasions, I have gone to technologists (or business people) on other teams for help and have never been turned away, even when I was new to the company and the industry.

- You won't see your good idea ignored in favor of a lesser idea by a "Senior" developer here, like I've seen happen at so many other development shops. Management really does foster an environment that allows the best idea to win.

ConsSince SIG is a private partnership, company financials are not public information and the employees are often in the dark about how the company is performing as a whole.

Interesting work, less than ideal environment

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bala Cynwyd, PA

ProsThe work at SIG is challenging and fun. You are presented with unique situations, difficult situations, and often have to move quickly. The technology organization actually keeps up with the times pretty well, you aren't using ancient programming technology or outdated hardware.

The work culture is friendly and open. Engineers are given a lot of flexibility to solve problems the way they think is best. Very good fringe benefits like free food, gym, and on site hair cuts. Salary is very competitive for the area.

The other engineers are generally pretty smart, and pretty willing to work as a team. In many other companies, different groups within a company form "cliques" that are often adversarial - not that way at SIG at all. Groups work together towards common goals and are very willing to help each other. I find this rare, and actually pretty awesome as an engineer.

Cons-The work environment is not ideal if you're in the trading floor. If you're a software engineer that's used to an office, or even a cubicle, you're in for a rude awakening. It's noisy and there's no privacy.

-Strict hours can be a pain. It's the nature of finance, but being expected to be in the building from 8-5 is irritating at times. Life happens. They're understanding of exceptions, but it goes against the company culture.

-Similarly, they don't believe in remote work / telecommuting, which makes no sense for technology

-I'll be blunt - the benefits stink. Health care is very expensive, and the 401k program is severely lacking. They only give their match in a lump sum the following year, and it takes 4 years to vest. Meh.

-I mean, you're working for a soul sucking private equity company that doesn't really contribute to society in any meaningful way.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your benefits better.

The Crown Jewel of Wall Street

Technology Manager (Current Employee)
Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent culture. Very anti-corporate. The focus here is not about the titles, policies, micromanagement, politics, bureaucracy and layoffs when the P&L takes a hit which is what I experienced at other financial firms. It’s about collaboration, teaming, decision making, innovation, delivery and empowering people to be the best they can be to contribute to SIG’s success. I faced culture shock when I arrived at SIG but easily adapted once I realized how this culture contributes to SIG’s overall success and individual and team success. I’ll take this culture along with the jeans and sneakers and shorts in the summer over the suit and tie and wing tipped shoes I trashed years ago.

I consider the managing directors to be approachable, friendly and fun, and passionate about their employees and company success. I also consider them to be some of the top risk managers on Wall Street. Their proven track record in trading and approach to running the company gives me confidence and comfort that we are part of a winning team especially when facing tough financial markets.

We have very friendly, intelligent, skilled hard working employees committed to the success of the organization with the willingness to educate and help each other. Traders and Technologists are united partners that shape our overall Trading business. Employees have the opportunity to grow and have greater impact along the way if they are determined and committed to do so. Open communication and idea sharing is encouraged not discouraged. Fairly flat organization structure which contributes to the lack of politics and bureaucracy. As such, decisions are made very quickly and people are more productive.

The Technology team is led by a CIO who is committed to ensuring that her team is core to the success of the business by delivering innovative solutions that give our business an edge on their competition. The team is unified, committed to innovation and delivering cutting edge and bleeding edge technologies to our trading business. This fosters an exciting, challenging and rewarding environment for technologists. Micromanagement is non-existent but exposure to all levels within the organization is the norm. We are focused on overcoming challenges and making the impossible possible. These are things I didn’t experience at previous employers. The workload is generally heavy and consistent across the Technology organization. This is why prioritization is a key area of focus. If you are looking for a 9 to 5 job with many breaks throughout the day then this is not be the place for you. If you are a highly motivated technologist looking to be challenged and busy and working with complex technologies then SIG could be the right place for you.

I’ve seen a significant commitment to the evolution of our education programs such as co-operative and internship programs and our Technology Associates program. I’ve seen each produce opportunities for recent grads to join SIG full time and have successful careers over the years. These are a few examples of the many channels used to attract and hire top talent.

Benefits and perks are good. Free breakfast/lunch is one of the better perks. In addition to being free, I don’t have to contend with traffic and lines at local food establishments wasting time. This allows me to get back to work faster.

After working for other financial firms, I consider SIG to be the crown jewel of Wall Street. Among other things, the owners, people, culture, team approach and my ability to innovate and have impact is what keeps me at SIG. To me, this is the place to be if you if you want a challenging and rewarding career as a technologist at a financial firm.

ConsThe grass is not always greener but in most cases it’s much greener than any of the other Wall Street financial firms I worked at during my career. That along with my consistent losing streak at the annual poker tournament and in any of the many sweepstakes that take place at SIG throughout the year are the only cons that come to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay consistent.

Unique and challenging organization

I have been working at Susquehanna International Group, LLP full-time

ProsVery good place to start your career. Lots of smart approachable people. Many onsite perks at the company headquarters. Flat organization structure.

ConsTraffic in the area can be very bad. Flat organization is both a pro and a con as title promotions are rare even though responsibilities grow. Contribution impact can be obtuse due to nature of the private company.

Worked for Susquehanna International Group, LLP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Susquehanna International Group, LLP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Susquehanna International Group, LLP CEO Jeff Yass. All 169 reviews posted anonymously by Susquehanna International Group, LLP employees.