Susquehanna University

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
4.1

CEO

Overview of campus climate.

I have been working at Susquehanna University full-time

Pros

Susquehanna University is a residential college located in Central Pennsylvania. Both Harrisburg and Williamsport are within in an hour's drive, with NYC, Philly and Washington DC/Baltimore within three to four hours drive. The Selinsgrove community is the just the right size for town/gown relations and raising a family. A beautiful campus, friendly atmosphere; excellent faculty and staff and a forward-thinking environmental and sustainable atmosphere in campus design and facilities development. Even in these challenging economic times, Susquehanna is able to hold its own, by evaluating costs, expenditures and hiring/replacement position protocols, and is guided by a well-established and trusted board of trustees.

Cons

SU, as a result of the current economy, is on a much more conservative track, reflected in its "hold" status on salary, benefits, and replacement of open positions. However, this strategy cannot truly be considered a "con" as it would behoove any business to follow suit given the current economic climate. The challenge for SU is to keep faculty and staff apprised of next steps, calm nerves and boost enthusiasm of employees as it works to regain momentum in enrolling students of the caliber it takes to earn a degree from Susquehanna University.

Be present and visible.

Watch out for hidden agendas

Former Employee - Student Affairs Professional in Selinsgrove, PA
    Former Employee - Student Affairs Professional in Selinsgrove, PA

I worked at Susquehanna University full-time

Pros

Small atmosphere where you can know all of your colleagues. The community is safe and overall very friendly. I was lucky to have a very good salary and a very flexible work schedule. I found that most departments were willing to collaborate and help each other out.

Cons

I found that some of the administration had their own agendas and would treat others fairly who expressed opposing viewpoints. There seemed to be a "Mean Girls" effect going on where there were some people in Student Life who were part of the "in group," who took care of each other. Meanwhile there was an "out group" that did not get the same access to resources and were eventually pushed out of the university. Employee morale is now low due to the cutting of benefits and pay freezes.
    There wasn't much room to advance in your career because the institution was so small and positions were rarely vacant.

Pay attention to trends in people leaving the university. Multiple people leaving with the same complaints tells you that there is an administrative problem. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck so get rid of it.

Excellent place to work!

Current Employee - Coach in Selinsgrove, PA
    Current Employee - Coach in Selinsgrove, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

--President Lemons is a top-notch leader who believes in his employees' qualifications, gives us the leeway to expand our programs, but is still happy to become involved.
    --The insurance benefits are great, with people making the least paying in the least and people making the most paying in the most.
    --People tend to stay with the university for a long time, so your community is very tight-knit and people try hard to take care of one another.
    --Many employees of different positions qualify to take free classes, and certain workers' children qualify for tuition exchange after working with the university for a certain period of time.

Cons

There are very few cons that I can think of... but if I must, then...
    --I think that there is still an old boys club in the athletics department.
    --The university is in a very rural area, so people who crave a lot of culture may not like the location much.

Keep President Lemons on board for as long as possible!

Okay for a short stay to augment a resume, but no future available here if you're a professional administrator.

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Selinsgrove, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Selinsgrove, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are very friendly if you're white and lead a fairly conventional life. Students are down to earth and mostly middle- or working-class so they sincerely appreciate the guidance and experience you provide. Benefits are great and the university's GO program may even afford you the opportunity to open the world to a great of students in a very impactful way through travel. You can gain a broad range of experiences in different fields. And when you find an administrator who knows what they're doing, there is ample opportunity for mentorship.

Cons

Protect yourself - SU has no qualms about taking advantage of their employees in terms of asking you to sacrifice your personal life or work for pay lower than industry standards. And Human Resources is the most user-unfriendly office on campus so there is no one go go to for help. Administrators who know what they are doing usually leave quickly because they can - incompetent directors stay for decades and clog the system, serving as road blocks to any real progress. Working here is a bit like spinning your wheels.

Don't ignore the incompetent middle managers working under Senior Staff. Great work is possible, but its being stalled by some bad eggs who don't seem to know what they should be doing.

University Tour guide

I have been working at Susquehanna University part-time

Pros

great opportunity to improve on people skills.

Cons

uncertain schedule. Can not plan own schedule ahead of time.

it was good.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Susquehanna University

Pros

good people, students, faculty, and staff

Cons

small school, very small school

good job

Good work environment with easy access to information and individual performance.

Current Employee - Communicator in Selinsgrove, PA
    Current Employee - Communicator in Selinsgrove, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna University

Pros

Provided me with personal communication skills that I will be able to use for the rest of my life as well as the ability to manage my time around work.

Cons

I was unable to work the desired hours a week that would provide me with enough compensation to be able to fulfill my monetary needs.

Fun work atmosphere, but school thinks it's better than it is

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Selinsgrove, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Selinsgrove, PA

I worked at Susquehanna University

Pros

Great place to work. Relaxed atmosphere

Cons

many staff/students think entirely too highly of themselves and the school. Average academics, but they pretend to be comparable to Bucknell or Gettysburg...not the case.

Don't pretend to be someone you're not!

Information Technology Helpdesk Assistant

I have been working at Susquehanna University part-time

Pros

Interesting job for a student. You get to learn about internal issues regarding the university.

Cons

Only pay minimum wage for work. But that is to be expected as a student

Great place to develop work experience and a friendly environment

Former Employee - Senior Student Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Student Manager

I worked at Susquehanna University

Pros

flexibility allowed for a balance between school and work.

Cons

limited payment since it relates to the minimum wage

more staff parties