Susquehanna University

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent place to work!

Coach (Current Employee)

I have been working at Susquehanna University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros--President Lemons is a top-notch leader who believes in his employees' qualifications, gives us the leeway to expand our programs, but is still happy to become involved.
--The insurance benefits are great, with people making the least paying in the least and people making the most paying in the most.
--People tend to stay with the university for a long time, so your community is very tight-knit and people try hard to take care of one another.
--Many employees of different positions qualify to take free classes, and certain workers' children qualify for tuition exchange after working with the university for a certain period of time.

ConsThere are very few cons that I can think of... but if I must, then...
--I think that there is still an old boys club in the athletics department.
--The university is in a very rural area, so people who crave a lot of culture may not like the location much.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep President Lemons on board for as long as possible!

Okay for a short stay to augment a resume, but no future available here if you're a professional administrator.

Assistant Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Susquehanna University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople are very friendly if you're white and lead a fairly conventional life. Students are down to earth and mostly middle- or working-class so they sincerely appreciate the guidance and experience you provide. Benefits are great and the university's GO program may even afford you the opportunity to open the world to a great of students in a very impactful way through travel. You can gain a broad range of experiences in different fields. And when you find an administrator who knows what they're doing, there is ample opportunity for mentorship.

ConsProtect yourself - SU has no qualms about taking advantage of their employees in terms of asking you to sacrifice your personal life or work for pay lower than industry standards. And Human Resources is the most user-unfriendly office on campus so there is no one go go to for help. Administrators who know what they are doing usually leave quickly because they can - incompetent directors stay for decades and clog the system, serving as road blocks to any real progress. Working here is a bit like spinning your wheels.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ignore the incompetent middle managers working under Senior Staff. Great work is possible, but its being stalled by some bad eggs who don't seem to know what they should be doing.

Good work environment with easy access to information and individual performance.

Communicator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Susquehanna University

ProsProvided me with personal communication skills that I will be able to use for the rest of my life as well as the ability to manage my time around work.

ConsI was unable to work the desired hours a week that would provide me with enough compensation to be able to fulfill my monetary needs.

Fun work atmosphere, but school thinks it's better than it is

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Susquehanna University

ProsGreat place to work. Relaxed atmosphere

Consmany staff/students think entirely too highly of themselves and the school. Average academics, but they pretend to be comparable to Bucknell or Gettysburg...not the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pretend to be someone you're not!

Worked for Susquehanna University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Susquehanna University reviews and ratings in Selinsgrove, PA. All reviews posted anonymously by Susquehanna University employees.