Sutherland Global Services

Sutherland Global Services Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Sutherland Global Services Chairman and CEO Dilip R. Vellodi

Dilip R. Vellodi

Pros
  • They offered work from home opportunities at one point(in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, freedom to explore imagination and creativity(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is depends upon project you are working on(in 10 reviews)

• have got night shifts and have to follow international calender(in 14 reviews)

Exciting

Associate Processor (Current Employee) Sunrise, FL

ProsWide array of positions, alway something new and different.

ConsFar for some and wish they had work from home

Advice to Senior ManagementListen

It's just a place to start

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosen... I don't see any

Consmanagement + low pay + stress of sale

Nice folks but.........

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone was very friendly, about average pay, ample hours, tech support is great

ConsDisorganized at corporate level, departments didn't seem to communicate with each other, inexperienced trainer, difficult to get help from chat when on the phones

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work for director level and up.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPrivate company that treats management corps well.

ConsBelow average pay for mid-management down (below director level)

I was a At Home video/internet Technician

Customer Support (Former Employee) McHenry, IL

ProsYou can work at home, no driving or getting dressed for this job, They have good benefits, the people are enjoyable to work with.

ConsYou have to be both technical and sales savy. Pay is not that great. You have to work bid shifts, hard to get on 1st shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would not put sales and technicians in the same job.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Run for the Hills!!!!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsOpportunity to obtain licenses in all 50 states, and gain knowledge of property and casualty nuances per state.

ConsVery unprofessional work environment. Boiler room pressure cooker environment. There is no focus on the quality of work produced, only on number of sales. Office morale is very low. Majority of agents are on performance improvement plans, with the threat of termination every month. Management is puzzled as to why the rate of attrition is so high. Are they deaf, blind as well as dumb?

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome knowledgeable in the area in which you manage. Learn something about property and casualty insurance before you attempt to lead a team.

A great place to gain valuable skills but that's about it.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

Pros-The benefits they provide are actually pretty good.
    -The program I worked on actually provided good training.
    -I was able to get invaluable experience with customer service.
    -Adequate PTO available after a couple years.
    -Some managers were competent.

Cons-There was no quality consistency between other sites working so you would end up having to fix their mistakes.
    -Wages are low in regards to the work you do. However you may receive a paltry commission.
    -Clients can be slave drivers. The clients also had their own call centers doing the same job as us. There were times they would close down their call centers on a busy day so they can have a company picnic while we had to pick up their slack.
    -Senior management kowtows to the clients like gods and would avoid advocating our concerns to the client.
    -You may apply to take normal customer service calls because you don't want to do sales, however if the client asks for it Sutherland will force you to do sales training and take sales calls. There is no way to get out of it even if you're uncomfortable with doing so.
    -You are given expectations of what to expect and then the client still does whatever they want regardless of set expectations.
    -Increased training and responsibilities does not translate into a greater pay.
    -Computer towers, monitors, and peripherals are constantly taken and moved to different work stations by people. Even though it's against company policy and can be considered an infosec violation, manager won't do anything about it.
    -Computers are outdated and are in constant need of repair. They still have the old ball mice which I had assumed went extinct.
    -The work environment in general is disgusting. There are large months old food particles everywhere. It's not uncommon to see BBQ sauce, grease, you name it spread everywhere because your fellow employees cannot respect their surroundings or other people. There was an OSHA notice in the hallway regarding bedbugs found on premises. Their outsourced cleaning crew takes poor care of the bathrooms, paper towel and soap dispensers are often neglected. This can go on.
    -HR is spineless
    -It takes an act of God to get an internal transfer, unless the program needs to get rid of people.
    -You work when the client wants you to work, no exceptions.
    -You need a day off? First they need to see if there is an opening, if not too bad so sad. If the company is going into a busy season, well it sucks to be you.
    -If you are good at your job and know what you're doing you can stay right where you are. If you're mediocre or popular you can become a manager.
    -Oh did I mention moving up does not mean wages go up?
    -You can only get benefits or PTO after 6 months.
    -The chairs are at least 10 years old, grimy, and broken. It's so bad that chairs are being taken from the break room and cafeteria.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight for your employees as they are the service you provide, without them you are nothing. Stop groveling at the feet of the clients, especially when you have years of business with them. It won't kill you or your contract to ask for more money to pay your employees. Upgrade your equipment, it may be a huge investment but it will pay off in the end. On that note if your clients are not up to speed technologically help them with doing so. Helping a client correct and build a better infrastructure will provide a better foundation and a stronger partnership.

It is a company to work for temporarily, but don't expect to retire from this place.

Tam Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMany opportunities for promotions. They are putting systems in place for managers to be successful.

ConsNo stability. They hire incompetent staff. No matching 401k. Culture can be horrible with incompetent staff. People misrepresent experience and can get in the door at this company. The company should do a better job at screening candidates.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right people the first time around.

Great Company

Technical Support Consultant (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsWorking for Sutherland Global has opened the doors for many people that are searching for the Work for Home position.

ConsDo not have anything negative to say

Advice to Senior ManagementJust started in the field, so my future goals are still in the thought process.

Don't Work Here!

P & C Agent (Current Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsThere are no pros other than a check while looking for a better job!

ConsI work for the Met Life program and don't think this is going to last. Managers don't know how to speak to people. They are rude. They have favorites and it really shows. Termination notices are given every month. We had about 75 agents and are down to about 45, and this program hasn't even been around for a year yet. Not a good place at all! Newcomers are getting paid a dollar+ more an hour than the agents that have been here, however management lies about that too! Wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your manager and trainer certified like everyone else. How can you employ a manager that isn't certified and knows nothing about insurance?

Worked for Sutherland Global Services? Contribute to the Community!